Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Replacement Stays / Shrouds
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SFDavey
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
9 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/25/2018 :  11:00:57  Show Profile
I am looking for specifications for the stays / shrouds for the Capri 25. Specifically the diameters of the wires, configuration (assuming 1-19), approximate lengths, and top and bottom end treatments.

My Capri (Hull No. 40) came to me with some goooofy looking nylon covered stays. I don't have pictures to post as I type this, but they are very strange.

Looking to step my mast and do all sorts of work to get her back up to speed.

Complete set from Catalina direct runs about $1,200 delivered. Another company quoted me about $1,400 delivered. I find it hard to believe that we can't do better than that.

Thanks,
David

David
Capri 25, Hull #40

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2018 :  07:03:24  Show Profile
David, This is what I've gathered in my time with my boat. Nothing is definitive, just best info I have to date.

Forestay - 3/16" dia x 1 x 19; 31'-10" pin to pin; turnbuckle to fine tune.
Cap shroud - 3/16" dia x 1 x 19; pin to end of terminal - 29' 11" +/- 1/2"; 5/16 turnbuckle from chainplate to terminal end.
Forward lower stay - 5/32"; turnbuckle; no length info
Aft lower stay - 5/32"; turnbuckle: no length info
Back stay - 3/16" dia; split backstay bridal length - 5'-8"; 3/16" dia main cable; no length info.

Hope that helps.
There are factory drawings somewhere on this website that may have more information than this, but I would not count on it. Catalina certainly has the data, the last time I talked to someone there it was Kent Nelson and he was very helpful in answering my questions. I think some of this information came from him. I've noticed on my boat that my cap shrouds are different lengths and thus turnbuckles are set differently, so exact numbers may not be necessary as long as you are in the range of the turnbuckle to adjust, especially for the forward and aft stays.

Good Luck

Joe W Hiller Jr
1985 Capri 25
Hull #433
Go to Top of Page

SFDavey
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
9 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2018 :  12:29:07  Show Profile
Thanks Joe, incredibly helpful!

From some tables I checked for 3/16" 316 Stainless in 1-19 cable:
Breaking strength is about 4,000 lbs with a design load of 800 lbs

Is it fair to say that you have had no issues with the 3/16" lengthening over time? I mean beyond what properly set turnbuckles could handle.

I was considering ordering the stays with the end treatments at the top already installed and then putting in the turnbuckles and clevises at the bottoms to fit, much like Catalina Direct provides them.

David

David
Capri 25, Hull #40
Go to Top of Page

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2018 :  12:55:35  Show Profile
David,
The sizes I've quoted came on my boat and I've never had any issues with the rigging and have not replaced anything so far. I've had the boat about 10 years now in a fresh water environment.
I've also sailed my boat in 25+ knots and had one complete knock down (sails in the water) with no rigging issues I've been able to discern.
I think I would worry more about the keel than I would the rigging on these boats.
There are plenty of threads on the keel issues here that you need to read up on so you know what to watch for.

Joe W Hiller Jr
1985 Capri 25
Hull #433
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page