Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Keel Winch Forces
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Boomeroo
Navigator

Member Avatar

Australia
128 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/21/2018 :  05:38:26  Show Profile
I note the Keel winch guide states a 45 Lb loading as max onto the handle which is about 1 ft long . ie 45 ft lb torque should lift the keel . I note the new Ryobi brushless drill has an output of 62 ft lb.
So has anyone used a Battery drill to wind up the winch . Maybe this is the 1st drill with the capacity. Brushless Drills relatively new .Keel raising is important.

I leave my keel down then as I enter shallow water I lift it up 10 turns then continue in until nearly aground then raise it fully . No chances ever taken of the keel dropping fully down uncontrolled .
Yes if it did let go no damage just hard to get off mainly mud .
Any experience appreciated .

Graeme Bishop boomeroo Australia
C25 SK

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2018 :  10:03:16  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Here are a couple of thoughts, Graeme.

First, 45 lbf-ft of torque being held only about 6" from the axis of rotation means your wrist is subject to something on the order of 90 lbs.

More importantly, I like to be able to feel when the keel reaches the end of its travel and to be able to stop immediately so as to avoid the extra load on the cable and connection hardware. I think cranking by hand would be a little more sensitive than mechanical cranking.

Although, if you didn't get your finger off the trigger quite fast enough when the keel suddenly stops, your wrist could be subject to the full max. torque of the drill, about 124 lbf-ft. One would be especially careful to avoid having it happen again.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2018 :  10:10:08  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
BTW, I hope you're changing that cable and connection on a regular basis. The frequency I think I've most often heard recommended is at least every other year. The connection and cable are continuously immersed in salt water, so they are subject to corrosion. As you said, keel raising is important. The swing keel offers advantages over fixed keels, which can be important to some of us, but it does REQUIRE additional maintenance.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

Boomeroo
Navigator

Members Avatar

Australia
128 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2018 :  02:22:40  Show Profile
Lee you make a very good point regarding the torque on the drill with only a6 in lever would be high . I would need to brace the drill to use it . soft starting speed control would be needed and never use it to fully lift the keel. I uîse a slightly higher size cable ,and only fully lift the keel a few times a year but often raise it part way to get into my jetty.
I am paranoid about cable maintenance and check it annually and have changed the cable about 3 yearly.
Sorry somehow the 1st message went twice ??

Graeme Bishop boomeroo Australia
C25 SK
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2018 :  14:50:52  Show Profile
Has anyone ever tried using a DC powered winch similar to what would be mounted on a 4 wheeler or even a boat trailer?

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

capted
1st Mate

Members Avatar

39 Posts

Response Posted - 12/24/2018 :  08:18:45  Show Profile
You definitely need to worry about stressing the cable when the keel comes up against the hull. Many years ago my overenthusiastic teenage son cranked the keel up and pulled the cable out of the fitting. A catastrophic keel drop resulted. Ever since then I have carefully cranked the keel up, and used a dot of paint on the cable to see when I am approaching the hull. Maybe overkill, but the repairs were expensive.

Ed
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 12/24/2018 :  19:02:53  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Thanks for confirming my fears, Ed.

I sometimes think I'm overly cautious, but whenever the results can be as serious as in this case I've always felt it's prudent to be exceptionally careful. It seemed to me that a device with sufficient mechanical advantage to manually raise one end of a 1,500 pound slab of cast iron could do serious harm.

Just another thing to warn new owners of swingers, in addition to the need to replace the lifting apparatus on a regular basis.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)

Edited by - Lee Panza on 12/24/2018 19:03:50
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 12/31/2018 :  18:44:08  Show Profile
The dot of paint on the winch cable is a is a good idea to see when the keel is almost to the top.

I’m going to dot my cable as I’m not the only one cranking the keel winch.

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page