Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Help a new owner identify some rigging please?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ellen254
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/01/2019 :  05:16:00  Show Profile
Hi all! I'm a fairly new sailor who just bought my first boat, a 2004 Catalina 250 wing keel, and I'm trying to understand all of the rigging. For various reasons I wasn't able to sail her before buying, and she is still on the trailer. All of the lines are original and I'm planning on replacing most, if not all, right away.

Could I have your help in identifying the three lines that are shown here coming out of the forward end of the boom? My thoughts are that the long white rope with red flecks is the reefing line - though it measures about 56' as opposed to the 42' that is listed in the owner's manual. Does that sound normal to you?

A second line is a 17' long rope with about a foot of coated wire at the end with a metal loop (I apologize if I am completely blowing it on the terminology). I had thought maybe this was the outhaul since it's the same length as what is listed on the OM, but I'm not sure. The OM also lists an "outhaul wire" which I don't see anywhere and have never heard of?

The third line is a 20' long rope that has a shackle on the end that comes out of the boom on the forward end, and the other end comes out of a hole around the middle of the boom - the same hole that line #2 above comes out of. This one is a mystery to me. Is it possibly the other half of the topping lift? The topping lift I have is tied from the top of the mast in a knot and ends in a shackle and is only about 26' long rather than the 50' listed in the OM, so I thought maybe the two lengths made up the whole?

I'd love any advice you can offer, or sketches or photos of how your 250 is set up so that I can get her ready and in the water soon! Thanks in advance!

2004 C250WK #750 Waco, TX
"Ba-de-ya"

Edited by - Ellen254 on 02/01/2019 05:18:04

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2019 :  05:27:00  Show Profile
Correct on all three.

Not sure why the reef is extra long. Maybe your sail has two reefing points and PO used the second one.

Topping lift is two parts so can easily disconnect when removing the boom.

Don’t assume you need to replace all lines. If stored properly when trailered, they may have some life left. Clean them up and inspect.

It’s a great boat - enjoy!

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 02/01/2019 06:18:50
Go to Top of Page

Ellen254
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2019 :  05:40:34  Show Profile
THANK YOU so much for the quick reply! Yes, the sail does have two reefing points - would that explain the long reefing line? What is "PO"?

Another sailing friend also told me I might not need to replace everything yet. I've thrown a couple into the washing machine and they came out looking fairly decent, so maybe there's hope, though some of the other lines do look worn and frayed, and she definitely wasn't getting any love while trailered.

I'm so thankful for this forum and all the advice I've seen so far!

2004 C250WK #750 Waco, TX
"Ba-de-ya"
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2019 :  05:54:46  Show Profile
PO = previous owner
OP = original poster

If you're dyslexic, they are interchangeable.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 02/01/2019 05:55:23
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2019 :  09:04:21  Show Profile
A variation on PO is DPO. There are at least two definitions...

On the reefing line length, for single-line reefing, take the height difference between the two reef points and multiply that by four--that would be the nominal difference between the line lengths. I'd guess the PO rigged for the deeper (2nd) reef.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/01/2019 09:10:40
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page