Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Upper shroud chainplates, 2 holes: WHY?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lee Panza
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/12/2019 :  14:59:43  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
It seems to me this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find it using the forum search function.

I'm preparing to replace my chainplates (and chaineyes, if that's a proper term), and I'm wondering why Catalina puts two holes at the tops of the upper shroud chainplates. The angle of the shroud would change by such a small amount that it doesn't seem like it would make any appreciable difference in functionality whether the shrouds are attached to the inner holes or the outer ones. Has anyone come up with a good reason to prefer one set rather than the other? Thanks.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2019 :  15:22:10  Show Profile
According to CD the inboard hole is used to provide a slightly better angle for the jib sheets. Like you I don't see a huge advantage. The key word is slightly Lol.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2019 :  18:09:16  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Oh, see I had figured it was in case one of the guys in the shop slapped the drill template on backwards, and didn't notice until he had drilled a set of holes the wrong way in a sizeable piece of expensive plywood, it wouldn't matter.

Of course, a single hole in the top would accomplish the same thing, but maybe the guy who ran the drill press worked cheap.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2019 :  18:58:58  Show Profile
I don't think the outboard hole serves any purpose on the C25. The C25 has separate attachment points for each of the two lower stays. The C25 Parts List shows the upper shroud attached to the inboard hole.

Other sailboats have only one lower stay and one upper shroud and only one attachment point with two holes, just like the one on the C25. The lower stay is attached to the inboard hole and the upper shroud is attached to the outboard hole. I suspect the C25 attachment point with two holes is a generic piece of hardware that different boat builders use for those different configurations. My Cal 25 has only one upper and one lower, and it uses similar hardware. The upper shroud is attached to the outboard hole and the lower stay is attached to the inboard hole.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2019 :  21:49:30  Show Profile
Seems like I remember someone saying one hole was used for the standard rig and the other for the tall rig? Then again I'm now officially old per my birthday a couple of weeks ago. :)

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2019 :  06:45:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by GaryB

Seems like I remember someone saying one hole was used for the standard rig and the other for the tall rig? Then again I'm now officially old per my birthday a couple of weeks ago. :)

The shrouds are connected to the outboard holes on my TR. Doesn't mean it came that way though.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2019 :  07:20:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by GaryB

On the surface that would sound reasonable, but, as far as I can tell, the length of the spreader on the tall and standard rig is the same. It seems to me that, if the tall rig spreader was an inch longer, then it would be logical to move the attachment point outboard by an inch. If the spreader length is the same on the tall and standard rig, I don't see how moving the attachment point outboard would make a significant difference. It's just my opinion, but I think that chainplate attachment is just generic, and the outboard hole has no special use with respect to the C25. I think the shroud should be attached to the inboard hole on both tall and standard rig.

I can't count the number of times I sailed my tall rig overpowered, and it heeled so far that it lifted the rudder out of the water and the boat wallowed on it's side, so I know the rigging is more than strong enough to support the mast, and I'm sure that small movement of the attachment point outboard isn't crucial to the support of the rig.

As always, if anyone really wants an authoritative answer to the question, they can always ask the folks at Catalina, assuming there's still someone available who remembers.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2019 :  08:41:49  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby
As always, if anyone really wants an authoritative answer to the question, they can always ask the folks at Catalina, assuming there's still someone available who remembers.

Aw, what fun is that, Steve. I mean, if I want a whole gamut of really "authoritative" responses I could post the question to the Sailing Anarchy forums.

Right.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2019 :  12:15:27  Show Profile
Since we only use the inboard hole then the question is why the second hole?? Hmmm...Love a mystery.

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2019 :  13:26:05  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Since we only use the inboard hole then the question is why the second hole?? Hmmm...Love a mystery.

I believe it's because the same part that Catalina bought from the hardware manufacturer isn't only used by Catalina on the C25. It's also used by different boat builders for different rigging configurations. The extra hole is used on other boats for different shroud arrangements, but it's not used for C25 shrouds. For example, my Cal 25 only has one upper shroud and one lower. Here's a photo I found online of a Cal 25s shroud arrangement. The upper runs from the chainplate over the spreader and to the masthead. The lower runs from the chainplate to a point just below the spreader, where it's attached to the mast. As you can see, they both terminate at the chainplate, side-by-side, with one slightly more inboard than the other. The shroud arrangement on the Cal 25 is the type of arrangement where the two-hole device could be used.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2019 :  14:04:23  Show Profile
Your probably right. The manufacturer made a generic part that was probably used by different boat builder's. The part worked for Catalina utilizing the inner hole. Other boat builder's and possibly home built boats might use the outboard hole.

Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2019 :  09:00:03  Show Profile
I always thought it was the place to tie the flag halyards

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

dalelargent
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2019 :  17:34:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by redeye

I always thought it was the place to tie the flag halyards

That’s how I use mine. :)

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page