Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Rebuild Mast Step
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

3474 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/13/2019 :  05:22:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So anyhoo....

The area under the mast plate ( what is that area called? ) is cracked, caved in some, and I would guess it is leaking into the deck. Not good. Right now I've got it gooped up with polysulfide thats probably 5 years old.. again not good.

So I want to drop the mast and build up the area with G-flex.

My problem is that my midstays are almost all the way out so I expect I might have to cut off an inch of the bottom of the mast if I build up the area a half inch. I also have extension shackles on my forestay.

SO thinking out loud to hear your most interesting opinions before I attempt this project at the end of this month.

regards.ray

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2019 :  06:19:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My first thought is "building it up" might not be the answer if the problem is deteriorated core between the deck molding and the compression post below. The problem could re-appear... It might be more important cut it open, replace the core (I assume there's core there), and re-glass on top of it. And I'd use something other than wood if that's what's there. (Starboard?)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/13/2019 06:20:18
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2019 :  06:46:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or another way would be to remove the plate then drill a series of holes in the fiberglass to get to the wood underneath then pour in a healthy amount of Git Rot. After that you could level the area with epoxy and fiberglass cloth. Ray, Check the bottom of the mast post in the bilge. Look for any rot or movement. Could be that the post is the problem. Not sure why your stays are maxed out. You would think with the mast sinking into the deck it would be the other way around.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 03/13/2019 07:01:26
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2019 :  11:11:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
<< "building it up" >>

Building up the strength by coring it out in some manner, like drilling it out and filling it with resin. specifically G-Flex

<< why standing rigging is running out >>

My understanding is this boat has had new standing rigging on two occasions, after storms and boats next to it damaged the rigging. I imagine the rigging was just done that way, as it was that way when I bought the boat and has not changed.

I don't think the post has moved, but certianly an examination of the post down to the bilge is in order. I expect to take a week off from work soon and this looks like a fun project. No need to hire anyone professionally to do it, that would take all the fun out of it...

And I bought new chainplates so that will be done also.....

Hopefully I won't have to order new standing rigging before it's all over, but then again that probably would not hurt.

If it will ever quit raining.....

So other than the git rot, you think G-flex would be a good filler?

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 03/13/2019 11:19:19
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2019 :  11:30:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
<< replace the core >>

Dave.. I've got a cut out of the deck, close by where the solar vent was

so I guess the drill and fill will do the trick.

Drill one all the way through, measure and mark the drill bit, and drill the others almost through and tape off the undersides and fill with git rot, let that cure and then with Gflex resin.

And yes saturate some glass mat .... geeze I'm gonna hafta actually do some glass work... but it oughta be rather easy I can always hide it underneath the mast Plate...

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 03/13/2019 11:39:08
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2019 :  13:13:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Git Rot is thin like water an is supposed to permeate into the wood and then it all hardens. The wood has to be dry.

Edited by - islander on 03/13/2019 13:23:29
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2019 :  13:17:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Git Rot would be the better choice. It's more "watery" and it can flow into smaller gaps and spaces before it sets up. If the wood is really mushy, it would help to clean as much loose material out as possible with a bent nail or similar tool, and dry it out before applying the resin.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2019 :  13:36:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could try Dave's idea but that involves a little major surgery and using starboard is not a good idea because it's a plastic and fiberglass won't bond to it. It would need to be something different.

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2019 :  13:46:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought of another idea. Drill a series of 1/2"-5/8" holes down to the interior liner then fill them all up with epoxy/resin creating multiple barrels of hardend epoxy/resin as a base. Then level the top with glass and resin. Might work. Like concrete footings for a building.

Edited by - islander on 03/13/2019 13:53:20
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2019 :  14:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jamestown Distributors sells a variety of deck coring materials, including balsa core, but a man made core would be best, because some of them are not susceptible to rot. They can probably guide you to a good choice.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2019 :  18:24:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can read about my repair to similar problem at the link below, includes some photos. I filled the depression with G-flex, then covered with a thin stainless steel plate. I did not bother exploring for core rot because my mast plate bolts were still tight and the deck had no tell-tale signs of core rot.

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30634&SearchTerms=step

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 03/14/2019 :  06:50:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seth

Thank you for pointing me to that thread.... Yepper thats about where I'm at, it all looks similar.

Looks like I will dry it out, drill ( drimmel and sand ) it out, add dry rot, fill with Gflex and overcoat with gelcoat.

Drill for the mast plate and step the mast.

So off to the materials list....

Sounds so easy to say. I practice the steps in my head and verbally and when we start the project our ( my brother and I ) joke is:

"All We Gotta Do Is"

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 03/14/2019 :  07:41:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And Of course thanking everyone else in advance... it helps me so much to read everyones experience... My posts are often rather simplistic compared to the actual job.

I think for my Coin I'm going with a St Michael I've had on the boat for years.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 03/18/2019 :  07:34:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It just does not look that bad...

But water into the deck is Baaaaad.......

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 03/18/2019 07:36:54
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/18/2019 :  08:36:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The caulk looks like it's failed and died of old age. Probably what started the problem.

Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 03/18/2019 :  10:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That "not that bad" was satire... that mess of goop is gonna leak. I was clearly putting off a job, that even with dropping the mast, is not that hard.

I don't have a dry place for the boat so work is between the rains, every 5 days, mostly the weekends. I post the picture to embarrass me enough to motivate, and for others entertainment.

I kinda wish I could just set the mast step aft and work on it but that sounds like asking for a real problem.. and I want to work on the chicken vane...

So I ordered my materials from Jamestown Distributors ( lots cheeper than West Marine )

git rot, G Flex, and Gel Coat....

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/18/2019 :  12:28:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drop the mast then throw a tarp over the horizontal mast. Make a nice tent to work under and keep things dry.

Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2019 :  04:58:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
<< Drop the mast then throw a tarp over the horizontal mast. >>

Thank You! I have an aversion to the blue tarps that was keeping me from thinking of that, but of course that's a great idea, and I've got a very old camping tent I was trying to get rid of so it might become a cover with a hole cut in the bottom.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2019 :  05:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an aversion to the blue tarps

Poly paranoia? Lol

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2019 :  08:02:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by redeye

...I have an aversion to the blue tarps...
FWIW, you can get them in green, brown and silver from various places, e.g. Home Dopey. I have a couple that are brown on one side and silver on the other--either is considerably less offensive to me than the standard blue.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2019 :  10:05:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, Now you hurt the blue poly tarps feelings.

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2019 :  21:27:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The time had come. (...long ago!)

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 03/24/2019 :  20:15:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Anyhoo...

First use for my folding a-frame with excellent results and somehow we broke the wind vane so I've bought the bigger one with the center bird spike sticking up so that should be a fun upgrade.

Cleaned up, sanded, wiped down with MEK,and drilled out the deck, finding the wood core dry and sound so many of the holes were not that deep, concerned the resin might go everywhere into the deck. silicone plugged the underside of the bolt hole openings. Very little resin dispersed into the deck. I was kinda surprised.

Made a tape dam rectangle around the step and poured in G-flex resin. Let that cure overnight and most of the next day.

( using a portable generator, as my dock is not a power dock ) cleaned up the edges with a cut off tool and sanded with a heavy grit. Drilled the mast plate holes.

Today I taped off the area and painted 2 layers of gel-coat and its curing tonight.

Tomorrow we expect rain. I'm hoping Tuesday I can sand and add another layer or two of gel-coat with a little bigger footprint.

Wednesday drill out one hole, add the mast plate, mast step, and drill the other three holes one at a time with the plate and step in place, using butyl tape between the mast plate and the deck.

Then step the mast and tune the rig.

My memory for the standing rigging turnbuckle adjustments was wrong, the for and aft stays are out, with added shackles. The midstays ( lower shrouds ) are tight, and the upper shrouds are about midway.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 03/24/2019 20:22:30
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 03/25/2019 :  07:26:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that the deck is somewhat filled with a rather elastic G-flex I hope to cut down the patch, drill down in a pattern in a gap from the other spots I previously drilled, make a larger footprint dam with metal duct tape that matches the footprint of the mast plate and fill with west epoxy 105, 206 hardener, mixed with 404 filler. Let that cure for a day and grind down, form and sand and then gel-coat.

I'm hoping this will make this patch strong enough and flexible enough to keep it from separating from the deck with the mast movement and high enough to keep it from holding water. I think it will fail if it holds water and freezes.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 03/25/2019 07:30:07
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 03/26/2019 :  15:19:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep ... really found the G-flex to be rather soft for a patching material of any depth, cut like butter with the cutoff tool. So I drilled it out down to the inside liner. I could feel the drill bit hit the liner after going through the wood core.

Cut out lots of the patch.

And cut out even more and sanded it down, wiped it down with MEK and drilled more holes.

built a tape dam and filled it with west systems resin with high strength filler.
Looks like the front hole is seeping into the deck, probably hafta add yet another small dab of resin...

So tomorrow it will be gel-coat

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 03/29/2019 :  11:13:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welll... got the patch sanded down and gel-coat done, butyl taped the underside of the mast plate and bolted it down... finally get to go sailing tomorrow.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page