Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Show me your reefing line, please?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ellen254
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/02/2019 :  16:24:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I bought my boat a couple of months ago, I ran the reefing line exactly the way the picture in the owner's manual showed. Today was the first day I tried to put in a reef, and it didn't go smoothly. I have seen in other posts that maybe the standard setup isn't very good?

Could anyone show me how your 250's reefing line is set up, or draw a picture of what it's supposed to look like? I also have TONS of extra line, so I am thinking it was set up by the PO with the second reef point, but that's just a guess.

Thanks in advance!

2004 C250WK #750 Waco, TX
"Ba-de-ya"

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2019 :  05:38:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually use two reef lines, one fore and the other aft.

The rear one is a little more involved but still pretty simple.

The line originates in the eye on the aft end of the port side of the boom.
From there it goes up to the reef eyelet or cringle on the leech of the sail, through the eyelet then back down to the block mounted on the starboard side of the boom.
It passes around the block then forward through two eyes along the boom up to a cleat.

The forward reef line is a line from a mast cleat near the base of the mast up to the reefing eyelet on the sail.

To work the reefing system, I drop the main halyard about 3-4 feet, then pull the aft reefing line until the reef point is down by the boom. I pull the slack end of the line forward and wrap it on the cleat. There’s about 8 ft of excess line so I coil it and stuff it behind the tight reefing line.

Up forward I pull the line down until the forward reef point is near the boom, then I wrap the slack of the line forward around the mast then tighten on the cleat. This keeps that section of the sail a little flatter than just snugging it down without a forward wrap.

Then I harden the halyard somewhat to take out slack and baggies, but don’t strain the reef points.

Optionally you can tie down the reef points along the middle of the sail to control the flake of the excess sail, but I usually keep them loosely tied.

[Of course, I have a C25, a C250 could be completely different]

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 04/04/2019 05:52:51
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2019 :  07:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ellen,
The C250 owner's manual has the Jiffy Reef system.
This used a single reef line lead to a cleat on the mast.
It's common to lead the reef line to a rope clutch near the cockpit.
That would explain your long reef line.

Also, the jiffy reef isn't the best, so it's an easy project to replace it with two-line reeling.
There are many posts with photos on the forum.
Use the Search feature,
Search Text: Reefing
Forum: C250
Archive: Yes (check box)

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

Ellen254
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2019 :  08:14:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks - this is helpful! I had not explored archived posts. Didn't realize there were so many posts hidden. Now I'm not going to get ANY actual work done today...

quote:
Originally posted by Russ.Johnson

Hi Ellen,
The C250 owner's manual has the Jiffy Reef system.
This used a single reef line lead to a cleat on the mast.
It's common to lead the reef line to a rope clutch near the cockpit.
That would explain your long reef line.

Also, the jiffy reef isn't the best, so it's an easy project to replace it with two-line reeling.
There are many posts with photos on the forum.
Use the Search feature,
Search Text: Reefing
Forum: C250
Archive: Yes (check box)

"Ba-de-ya"
Go to Top of Page

dvdfishel
1st Mate

Members Avatar

35 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2019 :  12:26:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had good luck with the single line jiffy reef system. I use hooks for the reefing points and can change from single reef to double reef.

I also led the lines back to the cockpit through a block at the bottom of the mast, then a guide, then to an additional rope clutch near the winch. This allows easy reefing from the cockpit while heaving to or raising the main while heading upwind. I can use the winch if needed to apply the needed force needed for the single line system to keep the clew tight. When lowering the main sail I also simultaneously tighten the single line reefing line to keep the hooks in place.

This has made adding a reef while sailing single handed a snap.

Hope this helps. I can send pictures if needed.

David Fishel
#848 WB250 2005
<b></b>
Go to Top of Page

Ellen254
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2019 :  12:31:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would you show me what you mean by hooks on the reefing points? My reefing line currently runs the same way through a block at the bottom of the mast and then to a rope clutch near the winch, but it was kind of a mess trying to pull on it. Nothing seemed to go smoothly. I like the idea that I have seen in several posts of attaching blocks to the reefing points but am curious about your hooks. Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by dvdfishel

I have had good luck with the single line jiffy reef system. I use hooks for the reefing points and can change from single reef to double reef.

I also led the lines back to the cockpit through a block at the bottom of the mast, then a guide, then to an additional rope clutch near the winch. This allows easy reefing from the cockpit while heaving to or raising the main while heading upwind. I can use the winch if needed to apply the needed force needed for the single line system to keep the clew tight. When lowering the main sail I also simultaneously tighten the single line reefing line to keep the hooks in place.

This has made adding a reef while sailing single handed a snap.

Hope this helps. I can send pictures if needed.

"Ba-de-ya"
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2019 :  16:28:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ellen,

Here's an archive post that may help you. There are many more.
There are several photos from different members with hooks, blocks, and different rigging choices.

Single line reefing quick question to help newbee
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21917

Russ

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2019 :  18:42:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ellen254

...I like the idea that I have seen in several posts of attaching blocks to the reefing points but am curious about your hooks. Thanks!

I'd recommend only attaching a block to the clew (aft reefing point). This greatly reduces the friction.

While having a block at the tack (fore reefing point) would also reduce friction, I found that doing so would cause the tack to be pulled below the boom without fully tensioning the clew, producing poor sail shape. So a block at the clew with the line passing through the bare cringle at the tack was the optimum combination for me.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page