Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 starboard bench seat flex
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sabbatical surprise
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/03/2019 :  06:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is it a problem if my starboard bench seat has soft spot/ flex in it? I am buying a 1987 catalina 25. The boat looks really clean and well taken care of.

HerdOfTurtles
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2019 :  07:45:57  Show Profile  Visit HerdOfTurtles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It won't compromise the structure of the hull if that's what you're asking. The divider on the starboard side settee is pretty much rotted out (divides the settee into two storage compartments) which causes some flex but it's not much - doesn't keep me from sitting there so to me it's not much of a problem.

1978 Standard Rig
Fin Keel
L-Dinette
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2019 :  08:16:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're talking about the cockpit seat, it's a significant concern. In time, it will get worse, not better, and will have to be repaired. It can be, but it's a big job and expensive if you don't do it yourself. Most DIY'ers can't do it without the repair being apparent. If you buy it at a very good price and you're willing to spend the time to DIY, and are satisfied with it being imperfect in appearance, it can be a good buy. A good repair can restore it's structural integrity for a very long time.

I'd suggest you get a repair estimate from a repair shop and deduct the repair cost from your offer. The owner must know of the problem and the cost of repair. If you can't buy it at a reasonable price, walk away.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

HerdOfTurtles
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2019 :  08:56:35  Show Profile  Visit HerdOfTurtles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Agreed Steve, if it's the cockpit bench I would be concerned.

1978 Standard Rig
Fin Keel
L-Dinette
Go to Top of Page

sabbatical surprise
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2019 :  10:28:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's on the bench. More of a soft spot. Cockpit floor is similar but not bad. Paying $4500 for the boat. Should I get a survey?
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2019 :  11:43:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a good idea to have a survey performed on a 1987 C-25, because then you will have expert advice on what needs to be repaired to be legal, or to be seaworthy, or to be perfect. With that knowledge you can negotiate in a rational way with the seller to reduce the price for those serious defects that need to be fixed.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2019 :  15:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That price seems expensive for a boat with moisture/soft deck issues. There are many for sale in the @$2,500-@$5,000 range that most likely would not have such an issue. Any offer you make should be contingent on a survey, which will cost @$350 and may save you@$4,500!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

sabbatical surprise
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2019 :  05:49:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your comments, we thought long and hard and walked away. I appreciate the candor.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page