Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Imported Outboard?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roamer
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
21 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/18/2019 :  10:09:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in the market for a 9.9 outboard with a 25" shaft. I've found a few deals importing a motor directly from Japan. They have the factory warranty, and are models built for the US market. What trouble am I getting myself into??

Thanks, Roamer

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2019 :  07:43:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you post a link what you're looking at? Really hard to figure out what you're looking at to give credible advise.

Erik

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2019 :  09:01:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW -- Not knowing engine or details, one thing I would be concerned about is how it is shipped. If the engine is crated/packaged well for it to be individually shipped, it might work, but typically engine mfg's ship in bulk/containers which protects each individual engine. Years ago when I bought my Tohatsu from Online Outboards it was shipped by common carrier and when I opened the carton the engine hood was off with spring bent. That engine was only shipped from TN to CT -- I would be weary of something shipped from Japan, through customs to the US!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT

Edited by - bigelowp on 05/20/2019 10:49:14
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2019 :  09:28:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another issue I’d be concerned with is replacement parts — is the engine marketed for the United States or are all documents printed in Japanese?
Finding the right components for your make and model could be a little challenging if you’re a little rusty on your Japanese.

If however it’s just a Japanese-made engine built for the US and you can get it through some kind of 3rd party importer with a different pricing structure than the American division of the Manufacturer, well then parts is parts - mostly.

One case I know of where this was not the case is where my buddy bought a Ford Focus in Germany and brought it back into the States. His car had some replacement parts that were a perfect match and others that were like very different which he ordered from Europe. But that’s a different story...

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2019 :  13:25:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a possibile scam to me. Some guy that says he's in Japan offering motors at great prices and you never met. Possibly also offering that he will take care of all the shipping, Import/export paperwork and customs. So you send the money and he disappears. What's your recourse then? What try to find the guy? I wouldn't do it. I think I'd rather send my money to a prince.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 05/19/2019 13:27:34
Go to Top of Page

Roamer
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
21 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2019 :  06:12:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for giving my weak Google-fu a bump. The vendor is www.outboardsaleonline.com. I looked them up in whois, and their website registrant is apparently an internet cafe in Malaysia. (L4-E-2, Level 4, Enterprise 4, Technology Park Malaysia, Bukit Jalil, Kuala Lumpur Wilayah Persekutuan 57000 Malaysia). Their contact website lists a Japanese address (Minami 1 Jonishi, 3 Chome#8722;#65299; Chuo Ward, Sapporo Hokkaido Japan), possibly another restaurant or internet cafe. Looking shaky to me. Their webpage pictures and text for Tohatsu looks like a cut 'n paste from Tohatsu's website.

fadeaway: 1984 TR/FK Trad
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2019 :  06:31:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Consider Peter's "bent spring"... If something like that (or worse) appears, and the seller is on the other side of the Pacific, then what??

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2019 :  07:15:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Consider Peter's "bent spring

That's assuming you actually received a motor. To many red flags. Its not hard to set up a legit looking web site but without any track record you could check on.....well sending money overseas to strangers is just what the scammers are counting on. Do business with known company's with a track record where you have some guarantees and a recourse if the item doesn't show up or shows up damaged.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page