Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Boom Tent
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Downbucket
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
188 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/24/2019 :  17:52:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi:

Anyone ever make a boom tent to cover the cockpit area? What fabric did you use? (Don't want to use a plastic tarp or canvas drop cloth.) How much fabric required? Any instructions will be appreciated along with photos.

Thanks.
Will

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2019 :  20:49:36  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry no photos of mine but..
I was given a canopy that stretches from the mast to the backstay. It hangs under the boom. I have a standard rig and I only stand 5'-8" but there is plenty of headroom.
It is flat with three horizontal bars. One at the mast, one just above the companionway, this one ties to the boom above it, and one at the backstay.
It shades the cabin with the pop-top up and the most of the cockpit. Very welcome in the August doldrums and I stay on the boat 3-4 days a week all summer.
Sort of like this one but under the boom.

I also made one with mooring pickup wands and a nylon tarp. It was nice because the fibre-glass wands would bend like a Conestoga wagon tarp.
Again sorta like this except under the boom and the poles were pick-up wands. I'm sure the marina has plenty of old ones.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2019 :  07:11:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a boom tent fabricated out of Sunbrella fabric which I believe has a finished dimension of 12’9” long by 8’10” wide, and the color is “Toast” to match my bimini and mainsail covers. I had brass eyelets installed at the four corners and halfway down the longer edges. I’ve used it at the slip to prevent rain entering the cockpit and to protect the open companion way from sun and rain. I haven’t used it with supports like John G, but could use a few 1” x 8 ft PVC pipes like I use on my winter cover.
The fabricators were Defender Industries when they were in Westchester, before they moved to Connecticut. Since then they stopped working in Sunbrella. You could contact The Sailors Tailor company to see whether they make them to order.
I don’t use it all the time, but when I do I’m very glad to have it.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2019 :  07:56:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also have a boom tent that came with my boat when I bought it. It is light weight canvas that covers the boom front to back. It gets tied to the stantions or rails. I only used it a few times then bought a Bimini. What I didn't like about it was the sides come down from the boom at a sharp angle so it would hit your head if you wanted to sit on the seats with your back against the bulkhead. Not much headroom unless you stay in the middle of the boat. Having some sort of pole system to support the sides up would fix that problem.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 05/28/2019 :  11:55:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
During some steady rain we had while cruising for a few days, I made a boom tent out of a 10' x 12' blue tarp that went along with the pop-top cover to keep us dry and happy.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2019 :  04:08:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Old spin from a smaller boat. It's a boom tent and a wind sock and an anchor sail . very light wind only. Early version in this image...

I rig it a little differently now, but very similar.

The previous owner had a nice waterproof canvas tent with two poles but I found it easier to use the one small spinnaker in a bag with lines on it and one pole. Easier to store onboard.

I run the head of the sail up the mast with the main halyard and clip the pole ends to the sail tack and clew and tie to the aft rail.

I'd like to get the head of the sail recut to fit this application better one day.

I keep thinking I'll see something like a rain fly with collapsible poles at REI or Campmor that would work, but no such luck yet.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 05/29/2019 04:24:02
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2019 :  14:01:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tent flys and tent ground cloths are often cheap

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

RichardG
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
990 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2019 :  12:08:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used this one made by the previous owner.

I works well, but it only goes as far as the end of the boom, so it doesn't shade the sun if it's from behind. When it's really hot, I've been known to clip towels or sheets from the end of the tent to the stern rail.

RichardG 81 FK/SR #2657
Terminal Island, CA
Go to Top of Page

Boomeroo
Navigator

Members Avatar

Australia
128 Posts

Response Posted - 06/07/2019 :  06:40:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I have tried a few over the boom styles but now use my Bimini for rain and shade . I had a sail maker sew a zip front and back of the bimini with 3 in of sunbrella on each of the other sides of the zips . I then at home sewed some clear to the front and some shade cloth to the rear .. so if I need shade I can zip in the shade cloth or rain I zip in the Clear I can also tilt the bimini forward to protect the hatch .
Will try and get photo .. .. Winter here so not keen..

Graeme Bishop boomeroo Australia
C25 SK
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2019 :  13:51:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Picked one of these up the other day. I'll give it a try soon. $20, what the hell

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075GC569D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053

Edited by - DavidBuoy on 06/13/2019 13:52:15
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page