Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Two Feet of Bare Boom?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AlMo
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/25/2019 :  08:14:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has the mainsail (appears to be the original one) on my 1978 Catalina 25 actually shrunk? It goes up to full hoist, but lacks a good 18-24" with full outhaul. Maybe the boom itself is from a larger boat?

1978 C25 "X Lives" #1035
SR/SK

Bill Holcomb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
769 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2019 :  08:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The boom and sail are probably the right size. Catalina designed the boom to extend farther aft over the cockpit so that the mainsheet would have better mechanical advantage.
If we had cabin top sheeting like some of the C27s or Capri 26s, the boom could be shorter.
Bill Holcomb - C25 Snickerdoodle #4839
Go to Top of Page

Bill Holcomb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
769 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2019 :  08:24:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course, cabin top sheeting would get in the way of the pop-top...
Bill Holcomb
Go to Top of Page

AlMo
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2019 :  10:10:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies, Bill. In my non-naval-architect mind, this "boom authority" and the short, aft-located traveler probably go hand in hand with the small-looking mainsail? I wonder if any sailmaker has had the challenge of building a main that goes all the way out the boom? Guessing that may overpower the boat in stronger winds, though.

Really I am getting used to a 135 Genoa that I bought with the roller furler last year, and I am trying to get the two sails to work together better in light air. Seems like the new jib rides up a good foot or two higher than the prior, non-furled version (a 150 so longer and lower foot).

Thanks,
Alex

1978 C25 "X Lives" #1035
SR/SK
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2019 :  10:23:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want to measure, The boom extrusion not including the two end castings is 10'4" The stock Catalina sail has a foot of 9.58 Extending the sail farther aft might create a conflict with the roach of the sail and the backstay every time you tack.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 06/25/2019 10:37:35
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2019 :  10:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlMo

...I wonder if any sailmaker has had the challenge of building a main that goes all the way out the boom? Guessing that may overpower the boat in stronger winds, though.

Really I am getting used to a 135 Genoa that I bought with the roller furler last year, and I am trying to get the two sails to work together better in light air. Seems like the new jib rides up a good foot or two higher than the prior, non-furled version (a 150 so longer and lower foot).
If the main reached the end of the C-25 boom, its center of effort (CE), and thereby the CE for the whole rig, would be further aft--that would increase weather helm. Our C-25 standard rig with 130% roller furling genoa had just about perfect, light weather helm.

The roller genny typically has a higher clew to help it roll more compactly on the furler. You don't want the foot of the sail rolling on top of itself--that would create more of a bundle at the bottom and poorer shape when the furler is used to reef.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/25/2019 10:55:34
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2019 :  11:47:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlMo

I wonder if any sailmaker has had the challenge of building a main that goes all the way out the boom?
When I ordered my new C25 in 1980, I ordered it without sails (At that time Catalina sails didn't have a very good reputation. Now they're much better.) and then I ordered a set of sails from North. The North mainsail was cut for racing with a very full roach, a racing shelf foot and a flattening reef. The roach was so big that, for a long time, every time I tacked, the batten ends snagged on the backstay, and I had to stand on the cockpit seat and shake the backstay to get it free. After a few years the sailcloth softened and the sail didn't snag very often.

Under the racing rules, the length of the foot of the C25 mainsail cannot exceed 9' 7". There is no limit on the length of the leech or the size of the roach. North pushed those measurements to their limits. My point is that there are limits, both mechanically as well as under the racing rules, to how big you can make the mainsail. The backstay is a limiting factor. The sails North made were legal under the rules, and very fast.

quote:
Really I am getting used to a 135 Genoa that I bought with the roller furler last year, and I am trying to get the two sails to work together better in light air.
Sailing well in light air has much more to do with sail trimming and boat trimming techniques than with the size of your sails. If you think about it, in light air you want to maximize your sail power and minimize drag. You maximize sail power by powering up your sails in every possible way. Ease both halyards (it deepens the drafts of both sails), ease the mainsail outhaul (which also deepens it's draft), ease the backstay adjuster if you have one, move the genoa cars far forward, then move all your crew weight to leeward and forward, next to the shrouds. By moving crew weight to leeward, you cause the boat to heel. When the tip of the mast leans to leeward, gravity causes the sailcloth to hang in the smooth, curved shape that drives the boat, instead of hanging straight down like a sheet on a clothesline. By moving crew weight forward to the shrouds, the boat's fat transom is partially lifted out of the water. By reducing the boat's wetted surface, you significantly reduce drag, and with less drag, the boat goes faster.

If you use all these techniques, you'll sail well in light air.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page