Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Leaky front hatch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SKS
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/25/2019 :  10:28:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
has anyone else experienced a leaky front hatch ?
The quarter berth gets wet when it rains. That seems to be the only source of water I can see. Are there any others ?
Has anyone else found a good repair that seals the hatch properly ?

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Sailing out of Norwalk Cove Marina, Connecticut

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2019 :  17:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't assume it's the hatch. The light (the plastic light that's in the deck) is a known culprit for leaking. Also the hinge bolts could be leaking or the bolts that attach the support rod to the hatch.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2019 :  18:03:46  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You might also want to check the anchor locker. On at least the early Catalina 25s, there wasn't much preventing water in the anchor locker from overflowing into the V-berth, especially when heeled. The original anchor locker drain was barely larger than a soda straw, and prone to clogging.

— Leon

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2019 :  20:45:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leon Sisson

You might also want to check the anchor locker. On at least the early Catalina 25s, there wasn't much preventing water in the anchor locker from overflowing into the V-berth, especially when heeled. The original anchor locker drain was barely larger than a soda straw, and prone to clogging.

— Leon

+1 on the anchor locker. Check your drain.

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/25/2019 :  20:52:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It’s pretty easy to test. Get a friend to shoot the water from a hose up in the air above the bow to simulate rain and check on where you find wetness. Trouble is, you may not find any. It may take awhile before water gets through.
Try filling the anchor locker with water and see if it drains. I keep an unbent coat hanger handy to clear the drain hole. When not in use I use the hanger for my FM radio antenna ;-)
Spray the plastic “light” on the bow directly to see whether it leaks. You could also try running a stream across the deck running over the light to see if it leaks.
On the hatch, open it up, check the gasket. If permanently dented, if there’s a gap or the seal is tilted off crooked, that could be it. Close it and tighten down the dogs, then look for some daylight coming through. Spray water at the edge to see if it penetrates.
The hatch hinge may require to be rebedded. Spray around the hinge to see if it gets through...

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2019 :  04:22:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When we first acquired our boat we had a leaky hatch problem. Replaced the O-rings at base of the latch handles and haven't had a problem since. Part of my spring maintenance now is to add a tiny bit of silicon grease to those O-rings to help keep them from drying out over time.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972

Edited by - glivs on 06/26/2019 04:22:55
Go to Top of Page

SKS
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 07/04/2019 :  08:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Replaced the hatch gasket with the one from Catalina Direct.
Now the V Berth is dry.
I even sprayed it heavily with a garden hose, including the anchor locker, little skylight, hinges, stanchions and pulleys.
I think that fixes that problem.

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Sailing out of Norwalk Cove Marina, Connecticut
Go to Top of Page

hbushey
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
29 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2019 :  21:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We replaced the old 1/4” plexiglass which was separating from the hatch frame with the 3/8” thick one from CD. While we were at it we replaced the seal. A couple observations:

1) You really have to remove every little bit of old sealant from the hatch frame. Lacquer thinner and a wire wheel in a cordless drill are your friend in this case. You have to get all that old sealant off the hatch frame to give the new sealant a chance to bond with the frame and hatch plexiglass.

2) Get the $14ish tube of Dow Corning window sealant from CD. Use masking tape to keep the sealant where it needs to go. It’s gonna need a good 72+ hours to fully cure.

3) Between the 3/8” thick replacement plexiglass and the special sealant CD sells, we now have a hatch which is strong and waterproof. I now have no qualms about putting my foot and whole weight on the hatch now.

Heather and Scott
“Respite”
1989 C-25 TR/WK
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 07/06/2019 :  12:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we used "D" rubber sealer like the kind around car and trunk jams. Got ours at Ace Hardware but probably at auto supply stores, butyl tape and O rings to all hardware holes. Be sure to get off all previous sealants

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page