Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Bulkhead thickness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kittiwake
Deckhand

Member Avatar

5 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/07/2019 :  14:36:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am thinking of installing a opening port to ventilate the aft quarter berth.
Does anyone know the thickness of the bulkhead between the cockpit and the aft quarter berth?
I have an 86' SK, traditional interior.

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/07/2019 :  18:57:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me it feels like about 1/2"-3/4". On Passage it does not appear to have any core between the outer and inner skin, sounds hollow. If you plan to add a 3" round vent, you might want to fill the space in between with foam or wood. If a porthole is more in line with what you need, definitely include a filler to give you a solid surface to work with.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 07/09/2019 :  10:11:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably the first project after acquiring our boat was to rebed the portlight in the quarterberth...so I don't recall the details but...I do recall the thickness varied between top and bottom and as Voyager suspected, there was a sizeable gap between the inner and outer layers. I wedged in foam rope normally used as a window gasket (available in various diameters from any bldg supply store) all around the opening and then filled the gap with thickened epoxy. Other solutions that solve the same issue I suspect are equally as good at both stiffening the wall and sealing off the gap should any leaks occur around the new portlight. I don't know what portlight you have in mind but for our Beckson, I used SS barrel nuts to secure the frame; worked great.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page