Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Improvements to the dining table
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SKS
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/16/2019 :  16:14:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of you might not think of this as an improvement.
I found the dining table to be large and cumbersome.
Pulling the table off the wall mount, then trying to slip the ends into the wall supports was a real PITA.
So much so, that it was too unwieldy to use at all.
I took the option of building a new table, about half the size.
At that size, I mounted to the wall with a hinge. Now all I have to do is release the table and leg, then it swings into place.
Even at half size, it's still plenty big enough for the two of us.
Since I built a new table, I can always put the old one back if I resell the boat.
After the installation, I can see where maybe I could make it a tad larger, and probably do a better job installing the edge strip.
That will be a winter project.
Sorry, all these pictures are sideways. This site is not the most photo friendly.

Here's the old table, everyone is familiar with.

Here is the new table in the stored position:

Here is the table deployed:

And finally, here it is completely unfolded:

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Sailing out of Norwalk Cove Marina, Connecticut

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/16/2019 :  19:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that’s really a nice improvement. Can you set the table for dinner for two with drinks, full sized plates, silver and napkins? Can you fit any serving dishes on the table at the same time? That’s plenty. Can you fit your notebook computer on it?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

SKS
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 08/16/2019 :  23:19:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two plates, two drinks, utensils, napkins.
Not really enough room for serving dishes.
Still, we mostly bring prepared sandwiches with us, or prepared salads.
I lost that crappy alcohol stove a long time ago. It never worked.
I have one of those single burner butane stoves if I need to heat anything.
And yes, I can fit a laptop on the table also.
Each of the original table leaves were 16" wide and 1" thick.
I used 15.75" melamine shelving that was 3/4" thick.
As I said, some might think this is not an improvement at all.
For me, I prefer a smaller table that's user friendly instead of a larger table that isn't used at all.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Sailing out of Norwalk Cove Marina, Connecticut

Edited by - SKS on 08/17/2019 06:21:40
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/17/2019 :  06:05:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you there. On Passage, I have a dinette layout with a settee on starboard and two opposing seats on the port side with a large table in between. Similar to a booth at a diner. Problem is it’s basically a fixed table and it’s a space hog. It was designed for skinny people.
My solution, similar to yours, was to drastically cut down the area of the table. I also trimmed off the square corners, so now it’s about the size of the crib boards on the companionway if they were a single piece all glued together.
I bought some 1 by teak at a place up in Milford and using cardboard templates, came up with a design to allow for comfort while maximizing surface area for dining and a computer work space.
You’re right about posting pictures to the forum, so I’ll reference my thread when I built it.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/17/2019 :  06:24:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here’s the link. Very Yar Table
Now at least I can use it.

The old MDF table finally died so when I want to drop down the table to create a queen sized sleeping area between the two seats, I got 3 poplar 1x6 boards and cut them to the exact width of the gap. They not only fill the gap but they neatly stack together so I no longer need to find space aboard for that giant, heavy tabletop.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Good Times
1st Mate

Members Avatar

45 Posts

Response Posted - 08/17/2019 :  20:26:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work, it is definitely an improvement.
I did a similar modification on Matt’sLanding but I went one step further. I did reuse the original table ( mine was only 3/4” thick to start with) and I only cut 1/4 off since we are frequently 4 adults dining on it- still very comfortably as it turns out. In addition I built a shelf system above the table onto the bulkhead to the depth of the wooden mast support and my table when folded up, latches to the front of the shelf. There is a series of pictures from out Photo Gallery in https://tinyurl.com/yxdsnyea
Without pictures:
(1) I created an additional simple table support in form of a 3/4 by 3/4 ‘stick’ that fits under the table on the hinged side that is folded out from its other half - in boat terms on the forward starboard corner. The stick has Velcro on top and bottom and mates with the matching patches on the floor and under the table. It keeps the stress off the hinges and the table does not buckle when elbows are put on this side. The ‘stick’ rests on the head side of the compression post when not in use.
(2) I share your sentiment re the alcohol stove and have switched to the same one burner butane stove (in addition to a gimbaled Propane burner so I can prepare my 3 course meals#129325;#128563;). I use it on the top of the stairs right at the open hatch where heat and such can escape the cabin easily. The stove is a bit wider than the stairs are deep so one has to extend the top surface a bit when cooking. There are many ways to get this done, I chose to add a 3” section that folds up from under the top level and back down when done.

There are more mods but I wait to write about them when I get some pictures (=1000 words) done.
Enjoy your new dining room!

Andy Kohler

C25 #6012 TR WK
traditional layout

16ft Hobie Cat
23.5 Hunter
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2019 :  20:01:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great and a better size. I have often thought of replacing my table with one made out of teak veneer plywood which would look better and be much lighter. However it remains on the lengthaning someday list.!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2019 :  21:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter,
there are several sources of teak in SW CT including Rings End and West End. But I’ve found a place in Milford in an office park called Furniture Row, right off New Haven Ave.

It’s called Downes and Reader and for me it’s like a kid in a candy shop. Prices are quite a bit better than GoldCoast pricing so your money goes a longer way.

My table took about 9 or 10 lineal foot of 5/4” (rough) at 8” wide and at that time the cost was well below $100.00. They planed it flat for me.

Their variety of exotic woods is mind boggling: cherry, ebony, ipe, to name a few.
See this selection listing.

I have no financial interest in the company.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 08/21/2019 21:29:09
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2019 :  09:38:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce:

Thanks -- will check out.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page