Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 trailer set up for C25 swing keel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eagleeyepandv
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
32 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/27/2019 :  16:48:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
I just bought a trailer for our `84 Catalina 25 swing keel. The trailer needs to be set up for our boat and I’m wondering how high to set the rollers. Right now, from the base of our roller bracket to the top of the rollers is 13”. I’m fairly certain that won’t provide enough clearance for the keel. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.
Thanks, Dan

Buzz Maring
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1762 Posts

Response Posted - 09/27/2019 :  19:00:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dan,

I dug through some old photos and found these ... 'hope they help ...

WELCOME to the group ... there are a lot of folks here who have a wealth of knowledge, and they are happy to help.

Buzz Maring

~~Freya~~
C-25 SK/SR #68
Lake Dallas, TX
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 09/27/2019 :  22:35:48  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wasn't able to find anything in my photos, from when my boat lived on its old trailer, that would add to what Buzz posted. But I would like to ask about the trailer you say you just bought. I'm hoping to buy a new trailer myself, but when I inquired at several manufacturers they all said (emphatically) that they don't build trailers for sailboats anymore. I'd like to know where you got yours. Thanks, and good luck getting yours set up.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

eagleeyepandv
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
32 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2019 :  03:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might want to try Triad Trailers, www.TriadTrailers.com. I wrote to them and heard back promptly. I didn't go with them due to expense, but they make what looks like a very nice trailer specifically for Catalina 25, swing keels. I got mine from a local shop that was trying to make space for other boats ahead of the winter storage season.
Go to Top of Page

eagleeyepandv
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
32 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2019 :  03:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Buzz. This is exactly what I was looking for. Based on your second photo, it looks like the bracket stands about 10"-12" from the top of the trailer support to the roller bracket and about 23" overall clearance for the keel.
Go to Top of Page

Buzz Maring
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1762 Posts

Response Posted - 09/28/2019 :  07:51:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eagleeyepandv@gmail.com

Thanks Buzz. This is exactly what I was looking for.

GREAT ... I'm glad the photos helped. Please keep us posted on your progress.

BTW, you can modify your signature block to let everyone know what sort of boat you have (model, keel, tall or short rig, etc.) as well as your location. That info can be helpful for anyone trying to address questions you have.

Good luck with the new trailer!

Buzz Maring

~~Freya~~
C-25 SK/SR #68
Lake Dallas, TX
Go to Top of Page

RockB
Deckhand

Members Avatar

20 Posts

Response Posted - 01/12/2020 :  06:07:11  Show Profile  Visit RockB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Eagleeye,

Any update? I am starting to think about a trailer for my 25SK.

As I do not have a trailer at all I am considering retrofitting a standard boat trailer since the new ones cost are multiple times more than the current value of the boat. Has anyone done that?

Does anyone else here have pictures of their boat on the trailer from all directions? I can see where the shape of these hulls may not lend themselves to sitting on straight bunks.

Anyone near the Florida Panhandle (or between the FL panhandle and Maggie valley NC since I will be headed that way next weekend) have a 25SK sitting on a trailer I can come take a look at?

I can justify spending $2K - $3K for a trailer that I can retrofit and use for a couple months and then convert back for a standard boat but cannot justify spending that for something that has such a limited resale market.

Bill
1979 Catalina 25 SK #936
Panama City, FL
https://freeboatproject.com
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 01/12/2020 :  20:57:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you planning on loading the boat by normal means of backing the trailer into the water or are you going to have the boat lifted onto the trailer with a Travel Lift?

If the latter, some people have built or bought a cradle that will work, then purchased a regular utility trailer and had the cradle chained to the deck of the utility trailer, then had the boat loaded onto the cradle.

Advantage is you can retain the cradle for later use if you so desire and re-sell the utility trailer easily to a contractor or lawn/landscape maintenance contractor.

There are plans for the cradle in the Tech Tips section on the top left of this page.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 01/12/2020 20:58:06
Go to Top of Page

eagleeyepandv
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
32 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2020 :  11:50:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Bill, Sorry about the extremely late reply. As of January, our trailer was ready to go and we finally got her home. It’s so convenient having the boat in the driveway. I ended up getting a local metal shop to fabricate extended brackets for the rollers. Let me know if you still need pictures and I’d be glad to post some.
Go to Top of Page

RockB
Deckhand

Members Avatar

20 Posts

Response Posted - 04/05/2020 :  15:47:51  Show Profile  Visit RockB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes Please do and any measurements would be greatly appreciated as well.

Bill
1979 Catalina 25 SK #936
Panama City, FL
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2020 :  08:37:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RockB, look at "Sailtrailers.com". I believe I saw that they have a trailer for a swing keel C25 for sale. I think the price was $3,850. They build trailers. I saw it this past week but cannot remember how recent the ad itself was.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

Edited by - dmpilc on 04/06/2020 08:45:48
Go to Top of Page

vipermagic
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2020 :  07:19:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a quote from Spencer at Sailtrailers last week - base price for a C25 SK trailer is $3875. He's got a list of pretty reasonable options and is very willing to work with you - you can move up to a 10k GVWR trailer for like $4475 total. The only downside (for me) is he's in Columbus GA.

I would have pulled the trigger, but getting the trailer up here to Cleveland would have cost >$1k any way I could figure. I ended up getting some new axles and steel and am going to invest the sweat equity in the trailer I have.

79 C25 #1433 SR/FK - 'Carina' - Destroyed by Sandy
84 C25 #3817 TR/SK
Cleveland, OH
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2020 :  14:52:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vipermagic, Just saw that you guys are getting hit hard by a storm. Be safe!

DavidP
Go to Top of Page

eagleeyepandv
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
32 Posts

Response Posted - 04/11/2020 :  16:48:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally got around to taking pictures of the boat on the trailer (see url/link below). The brackets I had made are 13" tall. When the boat is back in the water, I'm probably going to have the metal shop add another 1/2" to the base of each bracket to gain a little more clearance for the keel. Right now it's got about 1" of clearance between it and one of the axles.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fk4DhLyZ7hj5rHcc9
Go to Top of Page

JoeRobertJr
1st Mate

Members Avatar

25 Posts

Response Posted - 04/12/2020 :  03:43:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am wondering about trailering without a keel support. The owner's manual says this:

"In the retractable-keel model, check that the keel has been cranked down until it rests firmly on the trailer's rubber support wedge or roller. The rubber support wedge should bear the complete weight of the keel. Immediately before launching, raise keel to maximum up position to clear trailer."

I thought I read somewhere about straining the winch supports, but I cannot find that reference now. My trailer has a padded 2x8 that runs fore and aft supported by the two cross beams. The swing keel rests on this board when the lifting cable is eased.

Joe Robert
C-25 SK/SR #4287
Orefield, PA
Go to Top of Page

eagleeyepandv
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
32 Posts

Response Posted - 04/12/2020 :  04:58:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe, You are right about supporting the keel. Before hitting the road, I put a strap completely around the boat and under the keel. It was the best I could do under the circumstances (running out of daylight). One of my goals after the brackets are raised, is to put in a more permanent, better support.
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2020 :  09:12:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The other thing to make sure of is that you can lower the swing keel enough, guessing 3-4" so that bumps and potholes do not bounce the keel up against the top of the keel trunk, possibly causing a leak.

DavidP
Go to Top of Page

RockB
Deckhand

Members Avatar

20 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2020 :  05:32:17  Show Profile  Visit RockB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eagleeyepandv

I finally got around to taking pictures of the boat on the trailer (see url/link below). The brackets I had made are 13" tall. When the boat is back in the water, I'm probably going to have the metal shop add another 1/2" to the base of each bracket to gain a little more clearance for the keel. Right now it's got about 1" of clearance between it and one of the axles.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fk4DhLyZ7hj5rHcc9

Thank you.

Bill
1979 Catalina 25 SK #936
Panama City, FL
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2020 :  12:34:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
eagleeyepandyv, looking at your pictures, I would recommend an additional 1.5". Maybe you can do it by adding a spacer under each existing beacket and longer U-bolts. I think you are going to want a total bracket height of about 15". If you are concerned about ease of keel cable replacement, when the time comes, refer back to Buzz' pictures at the top of this thread. you will want to be able to get to the cable attachment spot on the keel without jacking the boat up higher.

DavidP
Go to Top of Page

eagleeyepandv
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
32 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2020 :  11:58:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey David, That's a good idea. I guess the spacer wouldn't have to be as wide as the base of the bracket, only as wide as the trailer support it's sitting on. I mention that because drilling through 1.5" of steel (if it were the size of the base) would be difficult. My fear is as I increase the size of the spacer, I lose stability.
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2020 :  12:33:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As wide as the trailer support cross beams, and preferably welded to them, if the cross beams are steel and not aluminum.

DavidP
Go to Top of Page

eagleeyepandv
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
32 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2020 :  06:04:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll take the brackets to the machine shop that fabricated them and ask what would be the best way to get another 1.5"-2" of height out of them.
Go to Top of Page

eagleeyepandv
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
32 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2020 :  06:05:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll take the brackets to the machine shop that fabricated them and ask what would be the best way to get another 1.5"-2" of height out of them.
Go to Top of Page

eagleeyepandv
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
32 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2020 :  06:13:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2020 :  12:27:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds like a good plan. Good luck.

DavidP
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page