Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 New mainsail dimensions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AlMo
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/18/2019 :  17:43:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am getting a new Mainsail built by Precision sail Loft and they have asked me for a measurement from bottom of Mast to where the boom usually rides. I don't actually have a dimension to give them, ince I have never used a Cunningham on this boat. What they are suggesting is a way to give me more sail area with a longer luff then

1978 C25 "X Lives" #1035
SR/SK

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/19/2019 :  03:34:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Later model year Catalina's no longer used a sliding goose neck and instead fixed the boom to the mast with screws. Here is a photo of my fixed boom on a standard rig showing the measurement from the deck up to the boom. My mainsail is a Catalina sail so all of its measurements are standard Catalina. Maybe this will help in giving Precision a measurement. There are drawbacks to this. It will lower the boom into the cockpit. It might prevent you from installing a Bimini later if you wanted to and if you race I'm sure it's a no no.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 10/19/2019 04:04:33
Go to Top of Page

AlMo
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2019 :  09:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't plan on racing other than beer can type "fun races" but always looking for ways to go faster, and more sail area does that! A Cunningham or downhaul apparently won't work on the later C25's then, if I read Islander's post correctly?

Wondering how the sails were cut differently between the "screwed-on" gooseneck and the sliding ones such as I have, and whether I should retrofit my mast? I'm a taller guy with plenty of knots on the knoggin from lower/lowered booms during jibes and tacks, looking to avoid more, one of my main motivators for a love affair with Catalinas and Capris!

1978 C25 "X Lives" #1035
SR/SK
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2019 :  10:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The C25 class racing rules limit the length of the luff of the Standard rig mainsail to 24' 8". The rule reads as follows: "(1) Luff - The length of the luff shall be taken as the distance between the uppermost point and the lowermost point of the leading edge of the sail. The dimension shall not exceed: Tall Rig - 27' 8"; Standard Rig - 24' 8"."

You should also tell your sailmaker that the foot of the mainsail should not exceed 9' 7". Here's the rule: "(2) Foot - The length of the foot shall be taken as the distance between the forwardmost and aftermost points of the lower edge of the sail. The dimension shall not exceed 9' 7"."

All handicap racing is based on the sail dimension limitations in the class racing rules, so, if your sails don't conform, technically it's cheating. Most racers don't protest sail dimensions, but every once-in-a-while someone will, and you stand a risk of being embarrassed.

My advice is that you tell your sailmaker to make the length of the luff no more than 24' 8". All racing classes limit the length of the luff and foot of the sails, but they don't limit the length of the leech. Thus, sailmakers are free to lengthen the leech of a racing sail, but that causes the end of the boom to droop lower over the cockpit, reducing headroom. My advice is, don't try to win races with oversized sails. Win races with better sail trimming, better tactics and strategies, better boat handling, and better boat preparation, including good racing paint, a clean, smooth bottom and keel and a well-tuned rig). Frankly, your sailmaker should know better.

Here's a secret that will help. Most casual racers don't scrub their bottoms before every race. If you do, you'll have an advantage over them in terms of better speed and better pointing, and scrubbing is not only legal, but it's also highly recommended.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 10/20/2019 10:39:46
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2019 :  18:57:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your vintage has the sliding gooseneck, so "where the boom usually rides" is a dubious dimension. Go with Catalina's specs for luff-length. A Cunningham tensions the luff irrespective of where the boom is, while the downhaul tensions it by pulling the gooseneck down (or preventing it from rising when you tension the halyard). So a Cunningham is a more significant feature with a fixed gooseneck, as on the C-25s from about 1988(?) on. I suppose there is some esoteric shaping advantage from a Cunningham with a sliding gooseneck, but it's beyond me.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page