Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Gelcoat Maintenance
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dmarion
1st Mate

Member Avatar

Canada
67 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/19/2020 :  09:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spring will eventualy come our way and buffing and waxing the gelcoat of the hull is on my to-do list. It is dull in certain areas and some light yellowish in other areas, plus some minor scratches of course. Nothing however to write home about.
Looking up the compounds and waxes available for sale reveals a number of brands and within each brand some variations. I am also looking to buy or borrow a buffer to help get a glossy finish.
So, I turn to my good friends of our forum to ask: what has been your experience with compounds and waxes? Any preferred products? Any tips you can share?
Thank you.

Daniel Marion
Zendo
Cat 250 WB 2001 Hull #592
Valleyfield, QC,
Canada

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2020 :  10:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. Presta Ultra Cutting Creme for polish. Use a rotary polisher, not a wimpy buffer. Spray water on it as you work to keep it from drying out.

2. Collinite Fleetwax #885 for a hard, durable wax seal coat. Wipe on, hand buff off.

You should get all your shine in step 1. If you do step 1 right, step 2 will be easy. If not, and your surface has any roughness after step 1, then waxing/buffing will be difficult and you’ll use up a lot of wax.

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/52772-tips-compound-polish-wax.html

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 01/19/2020 10:37:32
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2020 :  10:43:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why work hard to get the shine that you can get with just a wipe? Use PolyGlow. It comes in a kit with the PolyPrep which cleans off all the oxidation. You apply about 5 coats of the PolyGlow with the supplied chamois and block. Each caot takes about a 1/2 hour - just do one side and by the time you finish the other side, the first side is ready for another coat. I would put the finish I had on "This Side Up" against any waxed hull for a mirror-like finish.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2020 :  12:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derek Crawford

Why work hard to get the shine that you can get with just a wipe? Use PolyGlow. It comes in a kit with the PolyPrep which cleans off all the oxidation. You apply about 5 coats of the PolyGlow with the supplied chamois and block. Each caot takes about a 1/2 hour - just do one side and by the time you finish the other side, the first side is ready for another coat. I would put the finish I had on "This Side Up" against any waxed hull for a mirror-like finish.

I've used Poliglow on different boats, and continue to hold the opinion that it is not the best product for a 2001 C250. I suggest that OP read this entire thread:

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31479

quote:
Originally posted by TakeFive

I've used both Poliglow and done Maine Sail's polish/wax procedure on different boats. I posted my detailed opinions in the thread shown in the last link above. Proper surface prep is critical with both methods, and IMO it's not that much easier to prep the surface properly with Poliglow. I continue to be of the opinion that a mid-90s C250 is new enough that polish and wax will get a great result with nominal effort. I like Presta Ultra Cutting Cream because it goes all the way from heavy compound to fine shine in one step. And if you do that right, the Collinite 885 Fleetwax is an easy wipe on/wipe off process that will last a LONG time.

I've learned more about the chemistry of Poliglow in the few years since then, and it's very heavily loaded with UV inhibitors. I've been doing a lot of work with the same UV inhibitors in my job the last couple of years, and they definitely cast a yellow tint (because they absorb the UV spectrum and a little of the blue visible spectrum, causing the yellow color). If your hull is already a little yellow, you won't notice. But most people will notice on a C250 with its whiter gelcoat.

Many swear by Poliglow, and I've been generally satisfied with it on my older boats. But those boats were so chalked up that I had to use wet sandpaper to get the chalk off. A C250 should polish up just fine without sandpaper, and is a great candidate for the more traditional polish/wax process.

Also, since my prior post, I bit the bullet and bought a Makita polisher to replace my cheapo Harbor Freight polisher. The result is much better because the RPMs stay where you set them with any runaway problems.

In my opinion, an "orbital buffer" is a waste of money. It's not strong enough to do polishing, and wax should easily wipe on/wipe off if you've polished correctly. If you need an orbital buffer to get the wax off, then you didn't polish sufficiently. However, I'm just one voice among many.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

dmarion
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Canada
67 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2020 :  13:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great advices! Thanks, guys!

Daniel Marion
Zendo
Cat 250 WB 2001 Hull #592
Valleyfield, QC,
Canada
Go to Top of Page

solvasoncc
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
46 Posts

Response Posted - 01/20/2020 :  13:11:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The question I have now, is WHAT do you buff/polish? I can do the hull from the bottom paint up to the rub rail, from bow to stern, but how in the world do you do the stern with all of the fittings? And do you tape your stripes? I haven't had the best of luck with various 3M products I've tried in the past, so this is a timely post. Thanks.

Charles

Catalina 250 WK SR Hull #475
College Station, TX
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page