Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 First post - swing keel cable
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Catalississippi
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
40 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2020 :  09:07:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dmpilc

I caution you again, do not attempt to remove the rubber hose between the keel trunk and the cable winch while the boat is in the water.

Thanks, and no worries there. I removed the companionway steps this weekend so I could service the wench, and that allowed me to look down into the tube and see exactly where the water level is. I quickly realized that those two hose clamps might be the most important pieces of equipment on my boat!

Thanks again.

1980 Catalina 25 TR/SK #2098 ?????
Former owner of 1982 Catalina 25 TR/SK #3081 Suzy-Q
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2020 :  09:28:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Catalississippi

...I quickly realized that those two hose clamps might be the most important pieces of equipment on my boat!
Don't replace them from the hardware store (unless you check them with a magnet).

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Catalississippi
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
40 Posts

Response Posted - 06/07/2020 :  11:39:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OP here with an update and some great news. Diver from a local dive club came out today, and the Suzy-Q has a (functioning) swing keel once again! All fixed up and working great. Lifted the keel and lowered it 4x. (The diver also cleaned the boat bottom - the portion that was submerged.

Thanks to all for your input.

Go to Top of Page

Vice Commodore
Sam Bruce

Members Avatar

USA
29 Posts

Response Posted - 06/11/2020 :  06:37:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great news! Enjoy the skinny water sailing!

Sam Bruce 2016-2024 Association Vice-Commodore (vicecommodore at catalina-capri-25s.org)
Go to Top of Page

Catalississippi
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
40 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2020 :  23:15:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vice Commodore

Great news! Enjoy the skinny water sailing!

Wow, thanks!

Even better to report (in a way) is that I’ve already gotten the needed opportunity to raise the keel. We ran aground in stiff wind heading out of our marina in Wednesday night’s beer can. I was relieved to be able to crank it up an inch and motor off easily. (I guess the better report would be if I hadn’t ran aground, esp in my own marina.). Totally worth it.

Also of note, when the old cable fork came up, I was finally able to observe the cable break on the other end. It was right at the fork - only a half inch of cable remains on the old fork. It didn’t pull out of the fork tube, just broke off right at it. Don’t know what that means (maybe over-cranked?), but I hope it means the turning ball was not the culprit, seeing as I can’t replace it or even see it.

Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2020 :  17:00:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm curious. Did the diver get it done? I do hope you were able to secure a messenger line to the cable before dropping it down the tube so you could bring the new cable up on the correct side of the turning ball. I know I'm late here and should have mentioned this above back in March: the turning ball is on a pin at the top of the metal tube which is imbedded in the fiberglass "volcano" on top of the keel trunk. This is all hidden by the rubber hose which is secured to the volcano. If your diver did change the cable, I'm guessing you did not have the opportunity to change the ball unless he used a messenger line. This should not be a real big problem if the prior owners did not raise the keel very often.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/11/2020 :  07:45:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I didn't see the posts after March here on page 2 when I wrote the post above. Glad you got the cable replaced.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Catalississippi
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
40 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2020 :  11:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dmpilc

Sorry, I didn't see the posts after March here on page 2 when I wrote the post above. Glad you got the cable replaced.

Thanks, and no worries. We didn't have a cable to drop into the tube on which to secure a messenger line, because the cable had broken - there was no cable in the tube. However, I explained the turning ball situation to the diver, and we got it through, on the correct, aft side of the turning ball. Works great.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page