Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Spinnaker with Bowsprit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

solvasoncc
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
46 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/05/2020 :  06:54:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ever thought of installing a bowsprit to effortlessly fly a spinnaker? Well here is an idea.

I received a few questions about the one I installed on our boat from our video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJq6DPXD7o&t=53s

Here is the story.

First, at the time, I had the gen 2 rudder on my wing keel model. This meant that the boat screamed at you the minute it heeled over beyond 10-15 degrees. Where we live in Texas, the wind is either blowing 15-20kts or more, or its dead calm, and it switches pretty frequently. To keep the boat heeled correctly in all of these conditions meant having good control over sail area and shape. So I went about solving the heavier condition by dressing up the main with two single line reefing systems, which meant I could reef the main with ease from the cockpit in any wind speed or sea state we were likely to be out in. That solved the heavy air issues.

For the light air side, I noticed that the light air performance of the boat was really lacking in under 8kts. Couldn't get to close hull speed. So I piled on more sail area with a spinnaker. But this isn't a conventional asymmetric, rather its more like a light, large genoa, aka a gennaker (a cruising code 0) sail, very flat in the shoulders. The intention was to make it so that it could fly on a broad range of conditions, from a beam reach (almost a close reach) all the way to a run. I went with an integrated wire(colligo) luff to ensure I could always furl it in when needed (watched too many top down furler videos to be comfortable with it single-handing with the family). This choice means I lose some performance downwind, but the trade off is I use it more often. Plus, if I go down to 170 degrees, I pole it out like a genoa, which takes less hands (most of the time ). Works great!

I got the sail from Catalina Direct (Ullman San Diego Loft). I have been EXTREMELY happy with the sail.

To fly the spinnaker I made an articulating bowsprit from a bent whisker pole from a smaller boat, similar in dimension to the drawing below.

I used an Antal ring as the eye, doubled up the whisker pole, and flex epoxied in a wood core in places to stiffen it up (not a 100% sure this was necessary, but it certainly couldn't hurt). I did have to warp the pole a little so it would fit in the ring.

I ended up buying mounting brackets from Trogear (before they left San Francisco), by far the most expensive parts. I had to remove the anchor chock on the starboard side to mount it. I drilled all the way through the deck and added a backing plate. However, after doing so I realized that the whole area of the deck has a plate built into it already and I could have just tapped instead. Would have been a lot easier. It turned out pretty well (pictures was only a test fit before I trimmed up the ends).

Most of the load of this design is actually carried by the blue line down to the bow eye and to the cleats. The sprit is really only providing compression on to the bracket on the side I'm flying the spinnaker. Going forward I will probably eventually swap out the original plastic whisker pole ends. But I've been saying that for 3 years now.

This sprit and setup allow me to fly the spinnaker from the end using a furler, and lead the lines back to the cockpit. With it i can raise the sail at the dock (or furled while sailing) and switch between the genoa, spinnaker, and the two reefs in the main from the safety of the cockpit.

One of the reasons I went with a vertical articulating sprit so that I could fold it up when I want to launch the boat without interfering with the trailer. (Alternatively, I could also take it off, but I found that took too much time at the boat ramp). Even so, I do remove the top of the match crutch when launching the boat just be sure it doesn't interfere.

A fun, relatively inexpensive project.

Charles

Catalina 250 WK SR Hull #475
College Station, TX

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2020 :  17:32:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I love fun, innovative and inexpensive projects...this is a great idea and solution for a semi permanent hinge-able bowsprit...

How did you fasten the legs to the deck
Did you consider other ways of fastening the legs
Could you provide more detail photos
Do you roll up the gennaker in order to tack

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page