Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Mast Light Wire Connector
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Digger
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
35 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/02/2020 :  23:39:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I added a deck light to the mast and now I need to add another wire. I have four wires coming from the mast and three coming through the deck. The wires that are already there run inside between the ceiling of the head and the deck. Is there any practical way to replace these wires?

Steve Digby
1983 Catalina 25
Standard Rig
Fin Keel

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 06/03/2020 :  04:47:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Because those wires are usually partially embedded in fiberglass, most people have found it impossible to pull them out or pull new ones in.

You can find threads here discussing this.
One option is to run new wires just forward of the port bulkhead and add a new deck connector. Below is how I did it. I used the old deck connector location for VHF cable.

[p]
[p]
[p][p]
Here's my job with images from both sides of the bulkhead and a shot of the deck fittings.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

Digger
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
35 Posts

Response Posted - 06/03/2020 :  10:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. This is exactly what I wanted to know. The pictures are very helpful.

Steve Digby
1983 Catalina 25
Standard Rig
Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2020 :  17:32:31  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To run the wire forward of the port side of the bulkhead, I did it by drilling a hole inside the deck connector area sharply angled forward using a long shank drill bit. At first inspection, I thought I had not angled it forward enough but upon closer inspection in forward of the bulkhead in the porta potti area, I saw that at the cabin top liner, the rubber molding is where the hole came thru. I then ran the wire along the liner, then down behind the porta potti, then thru a drilled hole that allowed the wire to pass thru into the main cabin behind and under the port side seat. Then it cab run to your existing switch panel. My website details the new switch panel I installed under/in front of the sink. That was to facilitate turning on the nav lights and mast lights while in the cockpit versus entering the main cabin to get to the existing switch panel under the steps.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

exf4gib
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
42 Posts

Response Posted - 06/08/2020 :  12:05:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice, neat job Tim! I had a similar situation when refitting the mast on my C-25. Existing through deck fitting was unusable, so I opted to install a commercially-available "puck" type waterproof through-hull that sealed the wire harness from the mast into the cabin. I just installed CG approved wire connectors to a junction bar on the bulkhead to allow easy disconnect for future mast removal.

Arnie W.
85 C-25 TR/FK #4747 "Lifted"
Go to Top of Page

Catalississippi
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
40 Posts

Response Posted - 06/09/2020 :  12:22:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OLarryR

To run the wire forward of the port side of the bulkhead, I did it by drilling a hole inside the deck connector area sharply angled forward using a long shank drill bit. At first inspection, I thought I had not angled it forward enough but upon closer inspection in forward of the bulkhead in the porta potti area, I saw that at the cabin top liner, the rubber molding is where the hole came thru. I then ran the wire along the liner, then down behind the porta potti, then thru a drilled hole that allowed the wire to pass thru into the main cabin behind and under the port side seat. Then it cab run to your existing switch panel. My website details the new switch panel I installed under/in front of the sink. That was to facilitate turning on the nav lights and mast lights while in the cockpit versus entering the main cabin to get to the existing switch panel under the steps.

Larry,

Do you have pictures of this? I see a lot of great pics on your website of R/Nest, but not of this. Am I just missing it? Thanks for sharing your hard work - it all looks great.

1980 Catalina 25 TR/SK #2098 ?????
Former owner of 1982 Catalina 25 TR/SK #3081 Suzy-Q
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page