Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Looking for Whisker Pole Thoughts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

k3fuller
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/26/2021 :  10:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I've browsed through the various whisker pole comments / threads and it's left me thinking about how to set this up on my boat. I don't race so there's no rules to constrain what I'd setup and don't have a Spinnaker. The 'kit' at CD with the single mast eye and pole seems interesting but I think that a track would be more appropriate. And what they sell for a track is expensive. It seems like I may be better putting it together myself with a Schaffer 1" T track track about 2' long. A good heavy duty car and probably the good Forespar HD 6-12 pole. I've looked around for a used pole to no luck so far and various posts here make me want to shy away from the lighter duty Forespar ADJ pole. What thoughts does anyone have for me?

Possible products:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/schaefer--standard-t-track--P002_062_002_002?recordNum=16

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/forespar--heavy-duty-telescoping-twist-lock-poles--P002_063_002_502?recordNum=1

2004 250WB #781

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/26/2021 :  17:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ADJ 6-12 works well, but only in light air. If the wind pipes up and you don't take it down, you'll break it. You really don't need a whisker pole to run wing and wing in stronger wind. The wind alone will keep the jib full.

The ADJ 6-12 is light enough in weight that you shouldn't need a topping lift to support it's weight in light air. You probably will need a topping lift to support the HD whisker pole in light air.

I can't remember ever feeling a need to adjust the pole's height.

My suggestion is to use the HD pole with a fixed spinnaker pole ring. (If you decide later that you need an adjustable track, you can add it later.) You'll probably want to rig a topping lift for it, but you can make that decision after you've sailed it.

When sailing wing and wing, with or without a pole, you really have to keep focused on steering. If you let your mind wander, the jib might collapse, or be backwinded, or the mainsail might gybe if you get too far off your line.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 01/27/2021 :  09:10:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this is of any help, but flying a 155% genoa the whisker pole was extended 15'9" so we needed the 17' pole.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

slacker
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
21 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2021 :  10:30:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought two of them last year for a C 27 out of craigslist . I think I paid about 25 to 30 apiece. They are about 6' and extend to 12'. I was going to repurpose them into a mast for a sabot but they were too short. I would sell one of them but the shipping would be pretty high. I would have to figure out which one I would sell first so its a summer deal . New they are insane

Paul Schupbach
Go to Top of Page

k3fuller
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2021 :  15:53:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all!

Yes, it is just light air (4-8) up here that I'd need it for so maybe the ADJ6-12 pole would be fine. It just goes against my better nature to 'invest' in something with limited purpose/capability. I don't need super heavy duty but I do work my gear and want it to perform. I'm using a 110 so I don't need extra length. Occasionally I rig up the boat hook propped against the mast and I don't think that extends more than 8-10ft. Of course, that doesn't work all that well either.
:- )
Go to Top of Page

k3fuller
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2021 :  11:06:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess one other thing I hadn't thought of... I don't have a topping lift. How necessary is that?
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2021 :  15:34:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even with the longer and heavier pole, I never needed a topping lift.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

k3fuller
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2021 :  10:51:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okay, great!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page