Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Admiralty Forum
 Capri 25 is gone, off to a great new owner.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Member Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/18/2014 :  12:32:56  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
What you are looking at are the last images of my boat traveling down the highway AT SPEED (70+mph) in VA, headed towards TN. My brother snapped these as "screen shots" from the live traffic camera feeds as I whizzed past the cameras headed toward his home.

This is the last picture before her new owner (Jason) picked her up. It's a bittersweet day to sell such a lovely boat, but my goal is to foster our One Design group on our lake, and they are sailing S2 7.9s. So the Capri had to go. A rare top view of her before she was hitched up and headed to OK.

Edited by - shnool on 08/18/2014 12:33:38

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2014 :  18:42:53  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
You know I attempt to be as honest and forthcoming both about the positives and negatives about a boat I sell. I hope Jason agrees with that statement...
but that takes me to the boat I DROVE 8 HOURS to go see today (with the full intent to pay cash for and drive home with).
It was billed as:
New banks racing sails and 2 other full sets of sails
new JSI standing rigging
boat without trailer (trailer available)
always used in freshwater, with VC17 bottom
dry hull
no soft spots
with 8hp yamaha motor
"one of the lowest priced ones in the nation, and you won't find one in better shape."

Here's what I found:
chainplates leaking
balsa core completely gone under chainplates
trailer was a joke (4 severely dry rotted tires, one so bad the valve stem broke, and was flat), 2 fully missing brake drums, 2 bad sets of bearings, boat had never been on the trailer, no winch, no bow stop.... just a joke.
NEW standing rigging, was likely new in 2001, rigging showing a lose strand already on the upper part of the upper shrouds, not a spur mind you, one strand wrapped around the top 10 ft of mast.
bottom had ablative and most of it was worn completely off
4 sets of major soft spots including the mast step

MY POINT? we all make mistakes and assume things are OK when they aren't. But the guy who was "selling" this boat, had an uncle (who was the guy who took me to the boat) was a MARINE SURVEYOR.. so my question is HOW FREAKING DISHONEST do you have to be?

For the record? His sailboatlisting ad, had a picture from a 1987 pristine boat on it, that I didn't notice until later he stole from another ad. Also his ad described the boat as a 1983, it's a 1982, and a double digit hull model.

I am thinking of sueing the guy for wasting my time, and allowing me to spend $150 in fuel to go see his boat that was a massive POS, and what he WELL KNEW wasn't as he described.
But I suppose I should be happy that he didn't ask me to PAYPAL money or what have you. I am amazed. My experience up to this guy has been that sailors are usually pretty good to one another, they may not all be experts, but they ATTEMPT to present what they sell for what it really is.

Edited by - shnool on 08/19/2014 18:49:57
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2014 :  19:12:28  Show Profile
At the minimum I would go to whoever certified him as a marine surveyor and try to get his credentials stripped. I'd contact the site that's advertising this boat to see if they would remove his ad and ban him from using their site in the future.

Btw... What did you say to the guy once you saw the boat?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2014 :  03:16:39  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Because it was "the uncle" not the actual guy selling, I was pretty respectful. Also since I was reliant on him to get back, as I was taken via motorboat to an island, to see the boat (thousand islands after all)... I thought it prudent to be "nice" so I could get back.

I later called the guy I was dealing with to explain what I did. I gave him a litany of problems with the boat. He proceeded to tell me all the things he thought could be done (by me of course) to fix the problems.. so he already knew where the problems were. I basically told him I didn't care for his wasting of my time and that I wasn't trying to get him to reduce his price but that I wouldn't buy his boat at any price, but I wanted him to know that so that he'd not so incorrectly "promote" the boat as he has been.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page