Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Admiralty Forum
 Slowly I prep for my new ride... a project boat
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/07/2014 :  11:05:37  Show Profile
Lets not forget JimB (Jim Baumgart) in the hall of fame.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/08/2014 :  06:06:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Lets not forget JimB (Jim Baumgart) in the hall of fame.

Add Jim, of course, and, if you attend the National Regatta, you'll meet most of the serious C25 racers. The following should also be mentioned among the very best. I have had the pleasure of racing against all but two of them, Gene Crosby and Kerry Tyler. They are included because they dominated the National Regatta for awhile.

Jack Metzel
Tom Hanson
Paul Pietzsch
Tom Smith
Lowell Murrell
Gene Crosby
Kerry Tyler
Bill Meinert
Mike Humphries

Most of the people who have raced in the National Regatta were skilled racers who were there because they won lots of races at their home lake, and thought they had a chance of winning at the Nationals. Therefore, most of the people who have ever raced in our national regatta could be included on the list. The names I have previously mentioned and listed here are, IMO, the best of the best.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 10/08/2014 :  18:31:00  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
How many of these racers made the nationals this past go around?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/08/2014 :  19:49:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by shnool

How many of these racers made the nationals this past go around?

None. Most of them probably don't own C25s anymore. I haven't seen a report on this year's national regatta, so, don't really know how many C25s and C250s showed up.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2014 :  03:30:01  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Thanks Steve for getting my point.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2014 :  05:01:50  Show Profile
I crewed on a friend's CS40 last night (PHRF 93), and we sailed fast, but a Catalina 27 (PHRF 213) beat the entire racing fleet across the finish line. The fleet included a Hobie 33 (rated 96), and boats rated 129 and 144, all of which are sailed by skilled racing sailors.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2014 :  06:44:06  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Sounds like someone read the prevailing wind patterns WAY better. Or the course wasn't laid out square.

We've had a Hershoff 18 place 2nd overall in our series, but it wasn't because the boat was particularly fast, NOR was he crossing finish lines first. It was because RC laid out a W/L 2 buoy course, 90 degrees off, making it a reach fest. Show me a cat boat that doesn't reach well for it's rating! His high handicap, and excellent (comparatively) performance reaching, proved enough to place him 1st or 2nd several times... Should we all go out and buy cat-boats?

Edited by - shnool on 10/09/2014 06:47:46
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2014 :  15:37:43  Show Profile
I just had to post this stunning photo taken of the Hobie 33 during the race last Wednesday evening. I hope you enjoy it!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2014 :  15:47:12  Show Profile
Stunning hardly describes it. Absolutely beautiful! I hope yo could give it to the guy.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2014 :  17:40:45  Show Profile
Awesome!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 10/14/2014 :  03:56:25  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Thanks to Paul, and Odell getting the race results posted up for the 2014 nationals.
here http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28740

I guess, those faster than life Catalina 25s didn't go because it's too hard to move their 8800lbs of trailering weight.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 10/14/2014 :  05:27:40  Show Profile
Great shot Steve, might just have to steal it

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 10/14/2014 :  09:17:30  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Hey Steve, where's the Catalina 27 in that picture?

There is no question, that a person with "local knowledge" or who reads the winds better, can best an entire fleet by "sailing the right way," even in a slower boat, I never questioned that. What I questioned is the boats actually being faster. Again once at hull speed, waterline is faster.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/14/2014 :  10:11:03  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by shnool

Hey Steve, where's the Catalina 27 in that picture?

There is no question, that a person with "local knowledge" or who reads the winds better, can best an entire fleet by "sailing the right way," even in a slower boat, I never questioned that. What I questioned is the boats actually being faster. Again once at hull speed, waterline is faster.
The Catalina 27 isn't "in" that picture, John. It would have been ahead and to the right when that photo was taken.

I don't think we fundamentally disagree. I didn't say the C25 or 27 is inherently faster than a Hobie 33. I simply said that, IMO, they can sail better than their handicaps suggest. Coincidentally, a day or two after we discussed it, a C27 mopped the decks with all of us, including some very fast, well-sailed boats. I made that point because a lot of C25 owners come to the forum expressing their thought that the C25 is capable of nothing better than being a slow cruiser. Since I bought my C25 in 1981, I have seen lots of excellent sailors at the helms of their C25s, and I have seen what the boat can do when made race ready and when well-sailed, and a C25 racer can have a lot of fun beating boats with even much faster ratings.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 10/14/2014 :  10:24:20  Show Profile
Having watched Chuck Shaw's stern get smaller as the race progressed for the last couple of years I agree with Steve, a C25 is under rated as a racer.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 10/14/2014 :  10:58:20  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Pictures of my new to me ride... Yep rust stains on the main... that's my practice North Sails main... it's actually in good shape, just wasn't stored well.

a rough looking video shot from astern, downwind under 100% jib.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_X61pomJ_s&feature=youtu.be

The guy behind me is an inboard S2 7.9 with a 155 up...
The switched angle to port, is a B25, under spin.

Edited by - shnool on 10/14/2014 11:01:24
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2014 :  18:34:49  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Just pulled the boat out, used my "other" trailer, that I bought without measuring to the S2... when I compared it to a friends S2 trailer I made some adjustments. When I bought the present boat, it came with a trailer (that I didn't like)... Well I went out on a limb, and moved the boat to my other trailer... boy it fits like a glove, I couldn't be happier with out easy it was to haul the boat out, rode real well on the trailer, and honestly derigging the boat was easy peasy.

Picture just after I took the A-frame down that I've had others here tell me would not work... Using the Mast upper I had others here tell me would not support the SUPER heavy mast.. putting my ridiculously NOT heavy boat (4752lbs actual weight) on a properly sized trailer to carry it... Of course I did this all myself, that others HERE told me I could not do, with my Capri 25, that I am sure I equally could not do with my S2 26 footer.

Because of all this above, this is my boat, sitting in my driveway, hauled out after only 2.5 hours after my arrival at the marina, in it's temporary parking space (before it gets moved inside), that I bet somehow couldn't possibly be correctly parked... Also, my guess is the Catalina 25 swing keel that took 3 hours to haul out behind me, from one of our founding club members, who has owned the boat for 20+ years, and had 2 people helping them, would have been NOT ONLY a much better purchase, but also a significantly faster boat. But for now, I'm quite impressed at the serious lack of real work I had to do to haul this boat out.

Edited by - shnool on 10/26/2014 18:41:56
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 11/16/2014 :  10:21:46  Show Profile
Nice looking boat, looks like you found a jewel. Also, great photo of the Hobie.
The big drawing card for the S2-7.9 vs. the C-25 is more opportunity for OD class racing. We have a good S2-7.9 fleet at my marina, and ever since we hosted the S2-7.9 Nationals in 2006, we always have a good S2-7.9 turnout in October at our Equalizer Regatta (16 this year), many of which come down from Michigan, Wisconsin, and Canada, including Spike and Brad Boston of Doyle Boston Sails).
good thing you passed on the inboard boat. At the Nationals, only 1 out of 21 boats was an inboard. almost all that were at the Nationals were dry-sailed or had VC-17M bottoms that were cleaned often.

The downside is that it takes at least 4, preferably 5, people to effectively race one. I know of several who are looking to downsize to a boat requiring only 2-3, like the Catalina 22, because it is hard, at least in our area, to maintain a 5 person crew consistently.

I hope you enjoy the boat very much, and look forward to seeing you here in Nashville if you take her on the road to race.
The guys up north also like to race here because it is easy to get ice hockey tickets, LOL.

Edited by - dmpilc on 11/16/2014 10:35:54
Go to Top of Page

shnool

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 01/03/2015 :  15:13:46  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
For those of you that followed my Capri 25 retrofit... I'm basically doing the same thing again with this S2. This boat didn't need as much cosmetic work, but in a lot of ways it was a blank slate. Check out my work so far here: http://www.s279.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1730

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 01/03/2015 :  20:08:42  Show Profile
liked Heinz 57 mods, so look forward to seeing the S2

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page