Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Replacing bulkheads
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

garth
Deckhand

Member Avatar

Canada
4 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/22/2014 :  16:35:01  Show Profile
I am a 6-year Capri 25 owner and a first-time forum user.
The topics I have read are very helpful.
I'm glad you guys are there.
I need to replace my cabin bulkheads which are rotting at the bottom from deck leaks through the chainplates.
It appears I have to remove the cabin mast support post to access the port-side bulkhead.
Questions:
1/ Can anyone tell me how the mast post is attached top and bottom?
2/ What finish did the factory use on the interior wood?
3/ What waterproofing goop should I use to reset the chainplate deck hardware?
Any help is appreciated.
My Capri 25 has been a perfect boat for the Great Lakes where the wind can howl but the waves rarely exceed three feet.
Garth
Capri 25 Xlax

Edited by - on

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2014 :  17:03:21  Show Profile
1. There are wood plugs top and bottom on all four sides I think. Look close as they were well done on my boat. I removed them with an ice pick, but destroyed them in the process. I presently have exposed screws (but it's a racing boat). remove the screws and take a little weight off the post and it will fall out.
2. I don't know what finish the factory used, but if you are replacing the bulkhead, I'd start fresh with polyurethane. Just don't let the leaks get ahead of you, or it will come off just like anything else will eventually.
3. I don't remember what I used, but it was a marine product and it was non-hardening but solid, ie you can't remove it without disassembling the fitting again yet it will give with the stresses. With that said, my starboard side is leaking again, so maybe someone else has a better long term solution. I only got a couple of years with my last bedding at least on starboard. Port side is still tight.
Good luck

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

garth
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Canada
4 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2014 :  18:14:03  Show Profile
Thanks, Joe.
I'll take the post out tomorrow.
We'll hope for more info on the wood finish and deck goop before I have to put it back together.
Garth

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 09/23/2014 :  03:30:51  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
My plan was to use Marine ply, and epoxy the board... then for the chainplates I was going to use butyl tape to make it more flexible.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

garth
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Canada
4 Posts

Response Posted - 09/23/2014 :  15:18:28  Show Profile
I pulled the mast support post. Joe was right. Four screws: two bottom, one stern side the other starboard; two top, one stern side the other bow side.
It might be useful to others removing this post to know that the screws are at a 30-degree angle into the fibreglass cabin shell. You need to angle the screwdriver accordingly.
Also the bow side top screw is hidden under the additional support block on the bow side of the post.
Garth

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page