Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Arlington Yacht Club in trouble
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hewebb
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/30/2014 :  06:24:31  Show Profile
HI

I am a member of the Arlington Yacht Club. Our club is located on Lake Arlington and supports family sailing. We have several club owned boats for members to use and we also use them for junior sailing classes. Also, well hold several sailing events throughout the year that bring folks from out of town to the facility. Additionally, we host the Ulster project where we take the kids from Ireland sailing as one of there activities while visiting the area. I am told it is the event they most look forward to-also, it is a lot of fun taking them. We also do a cook out at the club facility as part of the planned activities for them.

We lease and maintain a building and boat yard from the City of Arlington. Currently the city wants to remove the club from the facility to remodel the property. The club has been in the facility for 47 years and is the most active user of the lake. Some days the sailboats are the only boat on the lake. It is a small lake therefore it does not attract a majority of the boating public.

We are trying to make an effort to show the city we are well thought of and supported be several folks outside the club. In doing that we ask that you provide some favorable comments on twitter regarding the club.
If you do not have a twitter account they are very easy to establish.

How: simple, just go to Twitter.com, enter your email and a password, search within Twitter for our page @ArlngtnYchtClub, or the full name, Arlington Yacht Club, and then "follow" the page.

We seek a huge following to demonstrate our community connections, impact and reach well beyond our active membership. You are welcome to ask your friends to help us as well.

Ever notice how many scenic photos or backgrounds where you see a sailboat.

I appreciate your help and support.

Howard

Edited by - on

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2014 :  08:08:52  Show Profile
quote:
Currently the city wants to remove the club from the facility to remodel the property. The club has been in the facility for 47 years and is the most active user of the lake.

Doesn't matter to the city that you have been there 47yrs or 100, It's all about tax revenue.My guess is they will make more from the new facility. What do they want to do with the property?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2014 :  09:49:11  Show Profile
Actually they will loose revenue. We are located in a small portion of a city park that they are thinking about expanding by removing the club lease area and tearing down the building. We produce several thousand dollars revenue to the city and businesses in the area that will cease if we leave. Bottom line is the mayor does not like to see the sailboats in the yard. Someone indicated he said he did not like the fact that all the boat covers are not the same color. He lives nearby and takes walks in the park and can see the boats. Hard for us to believe but there are people out there that do not like sailboats.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2014 :  11:14:47  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Any chance of creating an area impact report?
Things like Businesses that rely upon the club clientele (chandlers, restaurants, fuel stations etc)
Community use stats.

Might be a complete waste of time though! Here in south florida they dropped the DOT vehicle emission testing reportedly because a state official had to wait in line to get his vehicle tested!

Get the umbrella's out (see how to do it in Hong Kong! )

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2014 :  18:32:57  Show Profile
Do the economic impact report and make sure every member of the city council gets one. also, start a petition and get every business owner whose business will be adversely affected to sign it and write a letter to go with the study.

Edited by - dmpilc on 10/01/2014 18:44:37
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2014 :  01:28:14  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
That's sad to hear. I thought that in US there are more pro-boating people, but looks like its the same as here in the "old" continent.

I was sailing on the small river, but gave up recently as the fisherman demands the river for their own. Just count with me, the registered fisherman in the near by city is around 25000 and our club is only 150. So the city council prohibited access to the near by lake connected to the river with explanation that we could endanger the swimmers !!!!
What the hell... I hope you can win this, but that's not possible here so I sold the C25 and bought smaller boat and we are now visiting other areas. I can't explain how much I like the fishing community in our country

Good luck!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page