Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 As long as we're gonna dream
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

3474 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/29/2015 :  04:38:53  Show Profile
I'm thinkin this might not be so stinky....

Holey Smokes. BP...

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2015 :  07:14:40  Show Profile
I like mine just fine (for maybe 1/5 the cost).

My 3.5L Honda V6 isn't any "stinkier" than it is in an Acura or an Accord. (Well, I guess I don't have a catalytic converter, and my mileage is a "little" worse.) And maintenance cost.......

Quote: "Notice: The advice given on this site is based upon individual or quoted experience, yours may differ."

Indeed.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/29/2015 07:21:16
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2015 :  07:31:56  Show Profile
Incidentally, that Hinckley has about 870 hp to my 225, about the same top speed, carries 3x the fuel, seats and sleeps about the same number of people (8 and 2), and doesn't fit in the slip outside my home.

Yup--even as a $+!nkp*++er, it's not in my dreams.

Now, this Hinckley is a different matter...

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/29/2015 07:43:14
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2015 :  11:14:04  Show Profile
Yepper the 70 in my dreams.. or pullin pots with your boat Dave ....

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 01/29/2015 11:16:22
Go to Top of Page

panhead1948
Captain

Members Avatar

345 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2015 :  11:15:59  Show Profile
Dave what is the brand of boat is that. If I was to go power boating that is something I would like.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2015 :  13:02:10  Show Profile
I believe its an

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2015 :  17:35:47  Show Profile
Scott is correct. She's an Eastern 27--a version they no longer make. Their current 27 is beamier, heavier, and almost double the price. Their 24 is a nice alternative, but doesn't have the enclosed head I have.

One of the names I considered was Last Boat II... This time she might actually be. Here's Sarge returning to her slip from a cocktail cruise with my daughter, son-in-law, neighbor, and partner (standing).

"Happiness is wanting what you have."

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/29/2015 17:45:01
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2015 :  18:51:30  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

Schweeet!

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2015 :  21:12:44  Show Profile
BTW, do you know how much noise an Acura V6 makes at parking lot speed? Same. A peaceful ride home... I have to be careful to remember to shut it off. (Of course, if I don't and then tilt it up, it sounds more like a '63 Chevy that lost its muffler.)

Now back to dreams... Do I want a 70-footer? Never. Can't sail it, even with an experienced partner (which I have).

How sad that Valiant closed down--makers of the boat that arguably sailed the most short-handed passages across oceans and around the globe of any single model--the Valiant 40. I can sail that!

But I could be lured to Maine's Robinhood 36 or 40--beautiful Carl Alberg designs previously built by Cape Dory.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/29/2015 21:26:36
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2015 :  04:25:18  Show Profile
Wow .. the robinhoods are beautiful.. and the Eastern, quiet engine is pretty amazing isn't it.. after all those years of whoever sat in the back could not hear a thing..

And to be able to see what they sell up there..

Oh NOooooo.....

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2015 :  06:25:26  Show Profile
Nice boat Dave, Down east design,Protected helm, Side curtains and I guess curtains for the back, Radar, Large enough but not too large, Roomy aft deck and at the end of the day just hose it down. Me? I tend to lean towards trawlers. Cape Dory made a 28ftr that I always thought was just enough. Maybe when I'm too old to sail...

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2015 :  07:17:07  Show Profile
There are a few CD-28s around here--I like 'em! I have limited aspirations for cruising--largely because of my lady's busy life. It's been an occasional 1-2 nights at some destination a few hours away (at 20-25 knots cruise). I wanted an open but protected helm area (not a pilot house), large, open party deck, outboard for my sometimes shallow home base, no holes below the waterline (including for propulsion), small galley and enclosed head below, v-berth for two (without a pottie in the middle), side and back curtains to enclose as much as I want, an easily-driven hull that can handle some big chop,... (I use the three windshield wipers often.) Nobody could show me all of that, but Eastern worked with me to build it (mostly stock). That was fun!

Compact but comfortable. Head behind the curtain on starboard. A butane stove sets up above or below.

Scott: You might want to look at Ranger.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/30/2015 07:49:54
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2015 :  08:10:02  Show Profile
These guys seem to really push the envelope - so much so that several of their images are computer graphics as opposed to real pictures of real boats . . .

Good James Bond movie candidates!

http://www.wally.com/home/

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame

Edited by - OJ on 01/30/2015 08:14:46
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2015 :  10:46:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OJ

These guys seem to really push the envelope...
I've seen some Wallys at shows--very attention-getting. (...at least it got mine!) Up close, they look like they might be made of polished boilerplate.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/30/2015 10:46:19
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2015 :  20:15:02  Show Profile
OK, gotta chime in -- all of the above are nice, but what about the Sea Hunt Harrier -- a sweet ride, albeit inboard vs outboard.

Note -- in full disclosure -- with the budget I have available none of the above will be considered until they hit the 20 year used and requiring "TLC" (read B.O.A.T) market!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2015 :  21:49:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bigelowp

...Note -- in full disclosure -- with the budget I have available none of the above will be considered until they hit the 20 year used and requiring "TLC" (read B.O.A.T) market!
I'll let you know when I'm ready to be on the other side of that transaction... My intention is that Sarge will still be in pretty good shape then. But she's no Hunt, and will never be priced as one.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/30/2015 21:49:49
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/31/2015 :  20:27:00  Show Profile
As in all things, ya pays ya money and ya takes yer choice. One man's sweet ride is another man's headache. I've been a guest on Sarge (thanks Dave) and she is more boat than most people I know have - she is a beauty and perfectly suited to her waters and the environs.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/01/2015 :  10:20:37  Show Profile
Bruce: You're welcome, and thanks!

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/01/2015 10:20:53
Go to Top of Page

Stu Jackson C34
Admiral

Members Avatar

844 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2015 :  13:38:20  Show Profile
I had an epiphany a few years ago. Like many of us, I ain't gettin' any younger, smarter or better lookin', and a broken leg from a 2010 skiing incident (coupled with the damn titanium plate inside my leg breaking six months later requiring a second surgery and being off my muscles for a year instead of only six months) definitely set me back in terms of agility, stamina and longevity.

I really thought I'd have to give up sailing.

In talking to my doctors and therapists, though, they ALL said boating was the very BEST therapy. It kept me moving.

My epiphany was that I already HAVE the boat of my dreams! I know the systems and everything works. I just finished a transmission fluid change, a HX zinc replacement and an oil change. Good for another year at least!

While I appreciate the choices others have made for motoryachts, and Dave's is a superb example of a MY that looks more like a sailboat, if I ever had to get a smaller boat, I'd go to the guy who bought our C25 from us in 1998 and just buy it back!

Stu
1986 C34 #224 "Aquavite"
Cowichan Bay, BC Maple Bay Marina
(formerly San Francisco)
(formerly C25 #2459 "Capricorn Two")
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2015 :  17:37:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stu Jackson C34

I had an epiphany a few years ago. Like many of us, I ain't gettin' any younger, smarter or better lookin', and a broken leg from a 2010 skiing incident (coupled with the damn titanium plate inside my leg breaking six months later requiring a second surgery and being off my muscles for a year instead of only six months) definitely set me back in terms of agility, stamina and longevity.

I really thought I'd have to give up sailing.

In talking to my doctors and therapists, though, they ALL said boating was the very BEST therapy. It kept me moving.

My epiphany was that I already HAVE the boat of my dreams! I know the systems and everything works. I just finished a transmission fluid change, a HX zinc replacement and an oil change. Good for another year at least!

While I appreciate the choices others have made for motoryachts, and Dave's is a superb example of a MY that looks more like a sailboat, if I ever had to get a smaller boat, I'd go to the guy who bought our C25 from us in 1998 and just buy it back!

Why not act on that thought and move up to an '89?

I know this guy that has one in pretty good shape and would be willing to part with it to someone that would give it a good home!

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2015 :  18:32:49  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stu Jackson C34

?...While I appreciate the choices others have made for motoryachts, and Dave's is a superb example of a MY that looks more like a sailboat, ...
Thanks, Stu... although I never actually thought of it quite that way.

To me, it looks a little like an authentic Downeaster, which is kind of another animal! But my hull is not very authentic--it gets up on plane, which the watermen call "cheating!"

Dave

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/03/2015 18:43:43
Go to Top of Page

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2015 :  04:31:52  Show Profile
Stu, shame on you, now I need to go put Catalina 34 on my investigation list....what year do you have Stu?
That Hinckley is GORGEOUS!!!!

s/v No Worries, O'Day 28
PO Moe'Uhane - C25 SR/FK #1746
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page