Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 How to store a new-gen anchor on a C250?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

2269 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/13/2015 :  05:19:34  Show Profile
I may want to upgrade my anchor this year to one of the new-generation type (Rocna, Manson, Mantus). I want something that will re-set itself if the wind or current shifts overnight. It will make for better sleeping.

Based on the Rocna/Manson/Mantus website recommendations, it looks like a 13 pounder is undersized for our boat, but a 22-25 pounder is oversized. But with either one, there is no easy place to store an anchor with such an unwieldy shape. And with the configuration of the anchor locker and furler on our boats, there is no clear place to fit a roller either.

Currently I have three Danforth-style fluke anchors. Two 8-pound lunch hooks (one genuine Danforth, one WestMarine knockoff), and a 13-pound knockoff. Danforth anchors have great holding in the kinds of bottoms that we have, but generally they do not reset well if the boat pivots around. That's why I'm shopping for a different anchor.

The C250 anchor locker can fit two Danforth anchors at a time, since it is perfectly dimensioned for that shape. But I cannot see how one of the new-gen anchors could fit in there.

Do you guys have any suggestions for how to store a new-gen anchor? Suggestions/pictures on a roller install? Maybe there's something creative that I haven't thought of.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 03/13/2015 09:34:35

csmcg
1st Mate

Members Avatar

96 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2015 :  11:08:17  Show Profile
Rick, I'm pretty sure that my Manson Supreme is a 25 pounder. It does fit within the stock anchor locker with room for the stock danforth on top, sitting in it's normal position.

It took a bit of futzing to figure out a working geometry, and I still do not have a clean solution to having both rodes stacked on top of each other.

I will try to get some photos this evening and post them to this thread.

Regards
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2015 :  12:43:06  Show Profile
Thanks, pics will be great! That's the only way I will be able to figure it out. If I can fit it in the locker, then it becomes a no-brainer.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2015 :  21:04:33  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
I'm able to fit a plow and a Fortress in my locker. I had to slightly modify the stock on the Fortress so it would fit, by cutting off a total of 1-1/2". The plow (22lbs) has 270' of rode with 30' of 5/16th chain, and the Fortress has 150' of rode with 30' of 5/16th chain. I think this might actually be too much, but I don't like to drag.

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --
Go to Top of Page

Al
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
269 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2015 :  23:43:14  Show Profile
My solution: https://plus.google.com/photos/104310504371556739732/albums/5235274895629178209?banner=pwa

Al Maniccia
SeaWolf C250WK #698
Marina Del Rey, CA
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 03/14/2015 :  07:11:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Al

My solution: https://plus.google.com/photos/104310504371556739732/albums/5235274895629178209?banner=pwa

Wow, that's a really great install. What is the make/model of the roller? Were you able to get access to through-bolt it, or did you have to screw/glue it? Also, is the SS cover shroud custom made, or a stock item that you found? If the latter, do you have make/model?

I'm not sure I'm up to a major install like that this year, but if we do a lot of anchoring this year I'd definitely look into it for next year.

I'd still really like to see a picture of how to orient these anchor to fit into the anchor locker. Please post when you have something.

Thanks!

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/14/2015 :  08:48:10  Show Profile
I came across this item for securing Mantus type anchors to standard rollers. Looks interesting. Keeps the anchor from banging around and looks like its easy to switch from a Mantus type to a Danfort depending on what you want to use.
http://shop.hunterowners.com/prod.php?54665/

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 03/14/2015 09:16:35
Go to Top of Page

Al
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
269 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2015 :  16:44:47  Show Profile
Rick, the roller is a Windline BRM-2. Reaching inside the deck plate in the anchor locker, I was able to install four thru-bolts. I made the shroud from rectangular aluminum tubing I got from McMaster Carr, my go-to place for everything it seems. The anchor locker hatch is thick enough to sink several screws into it horizontally (with some 5200) to hold the shroud in place.

Al Maniccia
SeaWolf C250WK #698
Marina Del Rey, CA
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2015 :  17:16:30  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by csmcg

Rick, I'm pretty sure that my Manson Supreme is a 25 pounder. It does fit within the stock anchor locker with room for the stock danforth on top, sitting in it's normal position.

It took a bit of futzing to figure out a working geometry, and I still do not have a clean solution to having both rodes stacked on top of each other.

I will try to get some photos this evening and post them to this thread.

Regards

Were you able to get some pics, and confirm the anchor size?

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
Go to Top of Page

csmcg
1st Mate

Members Avatar

96 Posts

Response Posted - 03/18/2015 :  09:34:04  Show Profile
Sorry Rick, I have not forgotten. Life interrupted my plans. I hope to get to the boat this evening.

Regards
Go to Top of Page

csmcg
1st Mate

Members Avatar

96 Posts

Response Posted - 03/18/2015 :  23:43:22  Show Profile
I was mistaken, the Manson on my C250 is a 15# that I originally purchased for a C22. Manson's sizing guide shows the 15# recommended boat length ranges from 18-30 ft.

Where I to be doing coastal cruising, the Manson 25lb (25'-35') would be more secure, but might not fit in the locker. I purchased a 25lb for our SAR boat and can grab it to do a test fit. I should be able to post the results this weekend.

I am by no means an experienced anchorer, but I have a couple of experiences with anchoring in decent winds.

In one case, a rapid and strong shift in wind direction drove the boat over the rode before it had time to sink. As the boat spun, the rode ended up with a 270 degree wrap around the keel. We then sat through the subsequent winds with the boat sitting side-on to the whitecaps. This orientation must have produced some decent loads, but we did not budge.

Each and every time this anchor has dealt with any significant load, the anchor has absolutely buried itself. This has been quite confidence inspiring as getting the anchor to release has been a serious struggle in a couple of instances.

As is, the 15lb Manson does fit along with the standard equipment danforth in it's usual spot with the danforth shank extending through the Manson roll-bar.

This includes 100' of rope rode with 25' of chain for each anchor. There has been only one occasion so far where I had to connect the rodes together to get enough scope.

Regards.
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2015 :  09:32:01  Show Profile
quote:

...Where I to be doing coastal cruising, the Manson 25lb (25'-35') would be more secure, but might not fit in the locker. I purchased a 25lb for our SAR boat and can grab it to do a test fit. I should be able to post the results this weekend...

If you could do that, it would be great. I am very concerned about 25 lb not fitting in the locker, or almost anywhere else on a C250. I am almost tempted to go with 15 lb., even though it's undersized, just because of the storage issue.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
Go to Top of Page

csmcg
1st Mate

Members Avatar

96 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2015 :  23:41:09  Show Profile
For comparison... the 15lb and 25lb Manson Supreme anchors in the C250 locker.

Top-down shot of 15lb Manson in locker:

Top-down shot of 25lb Manson in locker:

Profile shot of 25lb Manson in locker:

The 25lb does fit, but only just. The locker lid does close, if you have every bit of rode cleared from underneath the anchor.

I tried several different orientations, and the one shown is the only configuration that allowed me to close the locker hatch.

I'm not sure how you would manage the rode as at first blush. It appears that you would have to stack the rode on top of the anchor to get everything in the locker with the 25lb'r.

A roller perhaps?

Regards.

Edited by - csmcg on 03/22/2015 23:49:15
Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2017 :  19:11:58  Show Profile
Does anybody mind if I resurect a two year old post?

I'm "planning" on adding the plow anchor too...

A similar solution to that implemented by Al... hope my install is as nice...

Lewmar gear sourced from West Marine... 16.5-lbs anchor.

The third photo is shot through the anchor locker hand hole - not much room up there for through-bolts...

Catalina 250 - Pretty Good Boat
Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 12/26/2017 :  18:35:19  Show Profile
A follow-up on the install...

Here is the notch I had to cut in the anchor locker lid. I did expose the wood core cutting the hole at the aft end which was sealed with underwater epoxy putty.

And following Al's lead, I fabricated a mock-up cover from aluminum.

Then "Tea" at House of Stainless fabricated a cover from polished stainless sheet.

Today I glued it down. If the cover eventually does not appear to be holding I'll add a couple of screws to lock it down.

Crazy that I started this anchor mod in September and finished in December... pretty leisurely pace...

Best.

Go to Top of Page

csmcg
1st Mate

Members Avatar

96 Posts

Response Posted - 12/27/2017 :  01:04:04  Show Profile
Nice job Carl. Looks great. I may do something similar as it is not fun raising the anchor while hanging over the side of the bow.

Regards
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/27/2017 :  07:24:39  Show Profile
quote:

...it is not fun raising the anchor while hanging over the side of the bow.
I agree, so.....

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 12/27/2017 :  08:16:13  Show Profile
Since I started this thread, I guess I should respond with my ultimate decision. I went with a 35 lb. Mantus on a bow roller with electric windlass.

However, this ground tackle required that I upgrade my boat to a Catalina 34MkII.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2018 :  20:32:17  Show Profile
Funny how things work...

You upsized to a 34 footer while I downsized from a 34 footer...

Best,

Carl

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page