Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 OT: My iPod Touch button no longer works.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/03/2015 :  21:47:24  Show Profile
I have an older iPod Touch which is essentially an iPhone without a cell phone that uses WiFi only. I've had it for 3-4 years and by rights I should just get a new one. Safari crashes often and it cannot be updated to iOS 7 or 8.
The newest generation iPod touch is not recommended by MacRumors.com since the latest model is ~365+ days old and Apple does not appear eager to update it to the next generation.
Things have gone from bad to worse recently because "the button" used for switching apps is now almost dead. I does not respond.
I can just buy an iPhone 6 but I'd rather not buy an expensive data plan - I generally have WiFi available.
Does anybody have any suggestions on how to "pop" the button to make it work again, or should I just chuck it? Hate to do that since I've got 40+ apps on it and 32GB of music and podcasts on it...

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 07/04/2015 :  04:49:06  Show Profile
WiFi only iPad mini? or is that too big? Or an old iPhone 4 or 4s from eBay and don't connect it to a cell plan. I use my old 4 as a iPod, still has WiFi, has bluetooth for my wireless speaker, etc.

Tom Curran
1981 Capri 25 Hull #101 "Dirty Debbie"
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/04/2015 :  07:51:18  Show Profile
Tom
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I can manage getting a used iPhone on CL or eBay.
Meanwhile an article suggested:
Settings > General > Accessibility > Assistive touch and the home button appears as an overlay on the screen.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 07/04/2015 :  08:35:31  Show Profile
I've gotten real good at replacing iPad screens. Our little girl is on number 5 or so. I use a razer blade to get started and then a little plastic tool to pop the screen off. If you take an old cc and sand the edge down to point it's about the same thing. On the iPads, the button is just a plastic circle that pushes down on a switch. If you're going to chunk it anyway, try popping the top and see if you can get the button freeded up. A hair dryer works well for loosening the sticky tape up that holds it all together.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/06/2015 :  08:09:18  Show Profile
Jeremy
I'm in awe of a guy who has the chutzpah to peel the iPad screen. Cool!
I watched a video on YouTube on how to get at the button. They started at the back of the unit and on step 27 they got to the button!!! So I like the idea of accessing through the front.
The ifixit website offered a few more simple suggestions like:
Press and spin the home button - just put the unit on the table. Press the button and spin the unit underneath. Didn't help me but dozens of comments claimed success.
Alcohol - but wipe the button for an hour or two with rubbing alcohol. Also no success.
I selected the accessibility mode which works. It puts a ghost button at the upper left of the screen and you use it like the hard button. Sometimes it interferes with app functions but its workable.
I will try to get the screen off using your technique but do I need to replace the screen?

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 07/06/2015 :  10:05:54  Show Profile
Not unless you break it. The screen is actually the digitizer. The LCD is under that. The tape that is used is super sticky but heating it up helps turn it loose. Being the first time, you should be able to just heat the tape to get it to restick. Just take your time and don't force it. On the iPad, it's a lot easier than people make it to be. Don't know about iPod, but I the iPad the wifi antenna is just under the screen and is pretty easy to tear if you aren't looking for it. YouTube is your friend on jobs like this.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 07/06/2015 :  19:38:12  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
cowboom.com buy another one used, for cheap.

C&C 32 Smith Mountain Lake Virginia
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/08/2015 :  20:17:29  Show Profile
John,
What's the story on cow boom? Seems like there's a lot of controversy about it ...

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 07/09/2015 :  17:33:22  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
not any I know, I've purchased stuff from them before... most of it has no power supplies etc... but it all works... it's actually the broken/refurb/used stuff from Best Buy.

C&C 32 Smith Mountain Lake Virginia
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page