Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Admiralty Forum
 In Case you wondered.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

britinusa
Web Editor

Member Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/21/2015 :  04:03:03  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
We're learning the new boat, there's a whole lot of learning to do!

JD is a much simpler boat despite all the upgrades/additions we've done to her over the past 10 years.

Starting the engine: On Eximius, we have to Open all of the thru-hulls, , physically get down into the bowels of the aft berth to check the fuel level, burp the dripless stuffing bearing, check the engine dipstick, turn on the engine control panel supply switch in the cabin, Insert the ignition switch at the engine control panel, Run the engine compartment blower for 30 seconds, run the glow plugs for 30 seconds, shift into neutral (just to be sure someone hadn't leaned on the shifter) start the engine and watch for the oil pressure light and buzzer to go out.

On JD it's a simple matter of checking the dipstick, shifter into neutral, looking inside the fuel locker to check fuel level, and pressing the start button.

Because of the hard link, backing JD into a slip is a breeze compared to attempting to back Eximius. We're working on that one!

Building up to sailing down to Miami for Labor Day and then down to the keys in September.

JD is still for sale.

Paul

Joint Decision. (Sold)
PO C250WB 2005 Sail # 841.

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2015 :  05:30:57  Show Profile
quote:
We're learning the new boat, there's a whole lot of learning to do!

I’ll give you a tip from my learning curve……

Diesel fuel is dirty stuff……… More dirty if it comes from a marina fuel dock……

Check/change your fuel filter before you head off on long offshore runs.

Go ahead, ask me how I know……

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2015 :  06:37:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by britinusa

Because of the hard link, backing JD into a slip is a breeze compared to attempting to back Eximius. We're working on that one!
IMO, learning to back a fixed prop boat is the scariest part, but don't be overly intimidated by it. To maneuver within the confines of a marina, you only need to learn two skills. First, you need to learn to rotate the boat within a space not much longer than it's own length. If you can rotate the boat within a tight space, then you won't be stymied if, for example, you go down the wrong fairway and have to turn the boat around and go the other way. To rotate the boat, stop the boat, put the wheel hard to starboard, shift into forward and give it a small shot of throttle to get the boat moving forward. When you do so, the stern of the boat will kick to port. Before the bow touches a piling, shift into reverse, and back the boat as far as the width of the fairway will allow. Then shift into forward and give it another shot of throttle. You don't need to turn the wheel at any time during this procedure. Keep it hard to starboard. Each time you give it a shot in forward gear, the boat will turn. Keep going alternately in forward and reverse until the boat is pointed in the desired direction. This procedure is often called "backing and filling."

There are two ways that you can back the boat. If you back it very slowly, you can use the prop torque effect to "steer" it into the slip. If you back it fast enough to gain steerageway, then you can steer it using the rudder. Either way works.

When you are backing and filling the boat, you will notice that, during the backing maneuver, it turns at a fairly predictable rate. Therefore, you approach the slip by going slowly down the fairway on the same side as your slip, and with the slip on your port side. When your bow is at the nearest piling for your slip, turn to starboard so that the boat is at about a 45 degree angle to the slip. The stern should be aimed approximately at the piling, because, when you back into the slip, the stern will kick to the left, slipping past the piling. Thus, the key to backing into the slip, using the prop torque effect, is to align the boat correctly before you start to back in. If you do so, the boat will turn as you back in, and the bow, of course, will just naturally follow.

The other way to back into a slip is to get the boat up to steerageway in reverse. By doing so, you can shift into neutral and steer the boat into the slip using the rudder.

The prop torque method is better suited when the fairway is narrow. The steerageway method is better suited for a wider fairway, where you have enough room to get the boat up to enough speed to have steerageway. Because there is a wide variation in the width of fairways at many marinas, it's good to learn both methods.

When backing into a slip, always have boat hooks ready. If you can get the transom between the pilings, you can almost always pull it in the rest of the way using boat hooks. There's no unwritten rule that says you have to get the boat all the way into the slip using the engine power alone. As a frequent singlehander, I often use a boat hook to grab my neighbor's dock line or the base of a lifeline stanchion, and pull the stern of my boat into the slip. I have "sissy lines" rigged on both sides of my slip, and can reach over the side and grab a line and use it to pull the boat into the slip.

Make sure there aren't any nails or other hardware stuck in your dock pilings in a way that might scratch or gouge your boat, but otherwise, don't worry if the rub rail slides gently along a piling as you enter the slip. That's what rub rails are for.

All you have to do is make one successful docking in backing into your slip. After that, you'll remember how you did it, and do it the same way every time. The only variation will usually be due to wind direction or velocity, so always take note of the wind direction and velocity as you are about to enter your slip, so you can take it into account.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2015 :  07:55:10  Show Profile
Just curious: I presume you have a reason for choosing to go stern-in... Is your finger dock enough shorter than the boat that the cockpit isn't accessible if you go bow-in? I like to be bow-in where I can more easily handle the dock-lines at both ends. I coast in, set the aft spring-line from the finger, the spring-line stops the boat with the bow right at the main dock, I set the two bow lines from there, step back on and handle the stern lines from the cockpit. Also, I figured if something went wrong when entering, the bow could tolerate hitting the dock much better than (in my case) the outboard and bracket or on other boats, even the transom. And if the slip is on starboard as you approach, prop walk in reverse will help pivot you toward it as it stops the boat in front of the slip.

One more consideration: In a busy marina with people walking the docks, the cockpit and cabin are a little more private when you're bow-in.

Different strokes...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/21/2015 07:57:42
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

Members Avatar

460 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2015 :  14:14:50  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage
Our Home slip is in a closed end canal. That's an easy one.
We coast up the canal and bring the boat slowly to a stop about a foot off the slip (which is on our Port side)

Then I step ashore, and grab the pul-pit keeping it close to the dock but just clear of the pilings.

Peggy wheels for a turn to port and the stern glides away from the slip turning the boat with about 4' to spare.
As the stern closes towards the slip with the boat now facing the direction in which we arrived.
Set a mid ships line, then set the stern line and the bow line then a spring line.

Easy Peasy

But when we visit a dock, like the ones at Bahia Mar Marina, then bring on the peanut gallery.

They like us to go in stern first. It gets ugly.

We're practicing the back and fill method. The stern pulls hard to port when we go from stop to astern, so I'm learning to use that fact.

Will have to try the hard to stbd trick described.

The good news is, once we are out, it's great!

Sure would be nice if there was a docking practice area

Paul

Web Editor
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2015 :  14:35:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Sure would be nice if there was a docking practice area

I taught a fellow who had just bought a big Beneteau how to back it into a slip, and for practice, we found a soft rubber private marker outside his marina, and used it as a target. He approached it as if it was the outer piling of his slip, turned the boat, and then backed alongside it, as if backing into his slip. If you can't find a suitable marker, you could probably tie a small anchor to a big boat fender and use that for a target.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2015 :  14:38:55  Show Profile
quote:
But when we visit a dock, like the ones at Bahia Mar Marina

I found your problem............

Quit going to snooty marinas that tell you how to dock.......

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/21/2015 :  17:51:05  Show Profile
Another way to practice is, on a calm day out on the water, drop two throwable cushions in the water and pretend they're the dock you want to end up next to. It's not ideal, but it gives you some feeling for the maneuvering techniques.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 07/22/2015 :  03:46:00  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Davy J

quote:
But when we visit a dock, like the ones at Bahia Mar Marina

I found your problem............

Quit going to snooty marinas that tell you how to dock.......

They're not snooty, this is Florida! But it's easier for them, they don't have to walk to the end of the finger pier to read the boat's name!

Joint Decision. (Sold)
PO C250WB 2005 Sail # 841.

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015

Edited by - britinusa on 07/22/2015 03:46:39
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2015 :  20:15:57  Show Profile
Paul -- as I read this thread, and remember I sail up north, the frustration of this past summer fiddling with raising and lowering the engine, before I start it so I avoid catastrophe, and praying it actually starts now in a distant memory, I feel your pain. BUT I think about how nice it should be to have an inboard (read, not an outboard running dry from a wave or being drenched in water immediately after) and I get this feeling of envy instead! -- Just saying . . . . . (smile)

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page