Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 6 Gallon Fuel Tank - old fuel and cleaning
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oregonworld
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/02/2015 :  12:30:17  Show Profile  Visit oregonworld's Homepage
I know this topic has been discussed before but not recently.

I purchased my 1997 C250 about 3 years ago. It came with a 3 gallon and 6 gallon Tempo Valu6 fuel tank.

I haven't used the 6 gallon tank as 3 gallons is plenty of fuel for my local lake sailing.

I'm now heading up to the San Juan's for 10 days and I inspected the 6 gallon tank. It had about a gallon of fuel in it. The tank looks clean except very minor amount of black particles on the bottom. Pretty typical looking for a gas can. There is no sludge that I can tell.

1) Can I clean out the tank some way? Am I going to foul the motor if I use the tank. I plan on cleaning out the particles by putting in new gas and then emptying the tank into my lawn mower tank which I filter.

Should I be worried? Last thing I need is to foul the carb while I'm cruising.

2) Does anyone know if there is a replacement 6 gallon tank that fits the 250 fuel locker that can be purchased in 2015?

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

Jared

Jared Cruce
1997 250WK "Inspiration"
Honda 9.9
Ashland, OR

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2015 :  14:52:20  Show Profile
Don't ever get rid of your Valu6 tank (unless you want to give it to me ). It is the only 6 gallon tank that really fits well in the C250 fuel locker, and Tempo went bankrupt in the 2008 fiscal collapse. Moeller bought out Tempo's assets but discontinued their tank designs. Someone here did find a tank that could barely fit into the locker, but it was so tight it's almost impossible to get out. This makes for potentially unsafe fueling, since the tank should be removed and set on ground during fueling.

It sounds to me like your plan to clean out the tank should make it work just fine.

Just a little side story: I want out on a friend's fishing boat across the country in Oak Harbor Washington. I noticed that he had a Tempo Valu6 tank as a spare tank (for when his main tank ran out of gas). I kept looking down at it to "size it up," just curious about how it would fit in the locker. He saw me keep looking back at the tank, and asked, "Is there something wrong with my tank?" I just said no, because he's the kind of guy who would demand that I take it if I wanted it. (Also didn't think I could ship something with gas fumes all the way across the country.)

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 08/02/2015 14:53:23
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2015 :  15:16:34  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Jared,
Here's my thread on my search for a new tank for my '97 a while back.

Rick's correct, it's too tight to easily remove, so I found a filler funnel with a built in float to help prevent overflowing the tank when I fill up the tank in situ.

Feel free to ask questions.

Where's your boat located? I see you're headed to the San Juan's which means you're somewhere close.

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --
Go to Top of Page

oregonworld
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2015 :  20:31:03  Show Profile  Visit oregonworld's Homepage
I'm based in Ashland Oregon.

If there are any thoughts what to do to clean this tank after old gas has been sitting in it for 3 years or other thoughts on how to use it without fouling my motor, please send them my way. I feel really stupid for not emptying that tank the day I got it. Now that I know they can't be replaced.

Again, the tank looks clean except for some small black flakes that can easily be rinsed out with gas. But, I'm not experienced with this sort of thing and really don't want push it if there is a chance of having problems.

Thanks in advance,

Jared

Jared Cruce
1997 250WK "Inspiration"
Honda 9.9
Ashland, OR
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2015 :  22:06:25  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
As far as what to do with the old gas. I was able to bring mine to a Seattle hazmat dump station. If it's a small enough amount, use it for weed control in your driveway.

I've cleaned out tanks similar to what you describe. I actually used hot soapy water and several rinses, then dried the insides with a paper towel attached to a very long set of hemostats (get them at Harbor Freight, can also be used during the cleaning phase). Then used my compressor to blow dry the tank. Then I set it on top of a heat register for a couple of days to completely dry. Nary a problem since.

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2015 :  05:47:41  Show Profile
To get those little black particles, I tilt the tank so that the particles gather in a corner then using a siphon hose simply suck them up. Since the tank doesn't have a pour spout they can be difficult to get out by turning the tank upside down. Use the old gas in your car and start fresh.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2015 :  07:08:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

To get those little black particles, I tilt the tank so that the particles gather in a corner then using a siphon hose simply suck them up. Since the tank doesn't have a pour spout they can be difficult to get out by turning the tank upside down. Use the old gas in your car and start fresh.

Agree with Islander. Tilt the tank and use one of these in the bottom corner. The siphon action will suck out the particles.

You can probably find these at your local auto supply store or Harbor Freight.

http://www.jbtoolsales.com/hopkins-10801-shaker-siphon-3-1-2-gal-per-minute-6-tube/?gclid=COH54d2KjccCFYhcfgodMtgN6g

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 08/03/2015 07:09:57
Go to Top of Page

oregonworld
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2015 :  07:41:50  Show Profile  Visit oregonworld's Homepage
Cool, thanks for the advice and I will extricate the particles in this manner. If there isn't any VISIBLE sludge or residue on the bottom or inside of tank and I get out all the black particles am I good to go?

Do people still recommend washing with soap or some other kind of cleaning process?

Again, I don't know anything about varnish and old gas reactions to outboards?

Jared Cruce
1997 250WK "Inspiration"
Honda 9.9
Ashland, OR
Go to Top of Page

Al
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
269 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2015 :  16:32:11  Show Profile
Definitely get rid of the old gas and at least swirl some clean gas around in the tank a few times to clean it out. I put a clear universal gas filter downstream from the gas line bulb.
Keep the tank full and only use the vent when you're running the engine and close it overnight. That way the tank won't be "breathing" moist air as the gas expands and contracts with changing air temperatures.

Al Maniccia
SeaWolf C250WK #698
Marina Del Rey, CA
Go to Top of Page

oregonworld
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2015 :  19:19:20  Show Profile  Visit oregonworld's Homepage
Thanks for the advice!

Jared Cruce
1997 250WK "Inspiration"
Honda 9.9
Ashland, OR
Go to Top of Page

dvdfishel
1st Mate

Members Avatar

35 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2017 :  17:04:06  Show Profile
The Evinrude Johnson 6-gallon Dura Tank fits perfectly in the center fuel locker at the stern (Part Number 5008623). This is a very robust tank but it is not not cheap $114.00.

I just upgraded from a 3 gallon tank that came with my boat.

David Fishel
#848 WB250 2005
<b></b>
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/19/2017 :  18:04:33  Show Profile
I inherited the larger tank with Passage however the cap that holds the fuel port is cracked radially, so when the tank is full, gas splashes out. Anybody know of a way to either replace or repair the plastic cap? It seems like it's made out of ABS plastic or plastic milk jug plastic. Can I just fill it with epoxy or crazy glue?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2017 :  04:32:58  Show Profile
Bruce, Do you mean the fill cap or the part that the hose connects to? Also what make is the tank? WM has caps and the draw tubes for some models. I replaced my draw tube assembly this spring.

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2017 :  19:58:18  Show Profile
I'm pretty sure it's a 5 or 6 gallon Tempo tank. It's the hose connection side, not the fill cap. It would be great to completely restore the tank since I average 2-5 gallons per month during the summer, so I seem to be refilling the 2.5 gallon tank a lot. So much so that I have a spare portable gas tank that I fill up at the local fillin' station. Obviously, if I only sailed on the occasional weekend, the gas would go stale, but I use it, and often. Would be nice to have the larger tank in service.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/20/2017 :  21:51:44  Show Profile
Bruce: I probably bought that tank--a 6 gallon Tempo. I recall Honda had their own, which was more expensive but seemed beefier in general. It seemed unnecessary at the time... Maybe they still have it.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/20/2017 21:53:01
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2017 :  05:33:24  Show Profile
Tempo was bought out by Moeller but does still make some replacement parts for the Tempo tanks. It depends on what 6 gal. tank you have. I think there were 2. If it looks like this it is an Ultra 6 gal.

The fuel pick up assembly for it is, Model# 11882693 Moeller# 621002-10 and can be ordered through WM or Defender.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/moeller--withdrawal-assembly-for-ultra-3-and-6-gal--11882693?recordNum=32

The other tank is 6 gal also but a different shape and is model# 031006 and the pick up tube assembly is #031002-10. I cant find a photo of that tank but the pick up assembly for it is this one.http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1%7C311%7C2349059%7C2349071&id=1670521

Edited by - islander on 09/21/2017 07:02:50
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2017 :  11:20:49  Show Profile
I have the Tempo Ultra6 for my motorboat. While its overall outline is similar to what you pictured, the arrangement of pickup and fuel gauge is different. So be careful when ordering parts - the Moeller stuff may not fit.

The Tempo Valu6 was very popular with C250 owners, as it was one of the only six gallon tanks that would fit in the fuel compartment.

Tempo went bankrupt, and Moeller merely bought some assets at auction. Tempo laid off all their employees with no notice in 2008 or 2009. I know because I had ordered a replacement fuel gauge and never received it, so called a week later and learned the guy who took my order (and everyone else) was let go later that day.

I love the Ultra6 because of its great ergonomics for carrying. I have looked for replacement parts and there are none out there. If Moeller has come out with a tank with similar ergonomics (as shown in your picture), it's worth buying if you can't make any replacement parts fit the old Tempo version.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 09/21/2017 11:26:18
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2017 :  15:50:37  Show Profile
Rick, The Ultra 6 is still available. I just this spring replaced the pickup tube assembly on my Tempo Ultra 6 with the Moeller part. Part was identical.http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1%7C215570%7C1794283%7C1825671%7C2349067&id=1620919

Edited by - islander on 09/21/2017 15:55:10
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 09/21/2017 :  20:27:05  Show Profile
I am glad that some of the parts can be found. In my case I was looking for a new gasket for around the fuel gauge. Mine had become cracked and were leaking on both my Ultra6 and Ultra9 tanks. I had ordered two from Tempo the day they shut down. After that, there were none to be found. The new gauge is a different shape an won't work with the old tank. I ended up finding some Permatex fuel resistant sealer to make a custom gasket.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2017 :  18:06:56  Show Profile
Scott Islander, I have a very similar Tempo tank, so I may be able to find the right part with for the dip tube. Would be nice to be able to fill it all the way for longer trips!

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page