Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Wind Speed vs. Sail Plan
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Other Clark
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
11 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/14/2015 :  14:38:11  Show Profile
My Capri 25 has a main sail with single set of reef points
and three headsails
155 Genoa
135 with a reef point
110 jib with reef point

Has anyone ever figured out and published which sail combinations work best in which wind speeds? I have a single-handed race coming up, which means I want to have the right sails rigged before leaving the marina.

Suggestions?

by the way, wind is projected to be 10-12 knots, and my hunch would be 110 with a full main, as "flat is fast." Another club racer says he's planning to use a 130 headsail only, and raising the main only if needed. This is on an inland lake, so there are no swells.

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 08/15/2015 :  05:49:04  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
The Capri sails better believe it or not with fully trimmed large headsail even if you depower the main with a huge bubble.

This is a masthead rig, so you want AS MUCH HEADSAIL up as possible that you can still keep the boat flat(ish)... They say sail the boat flat, in my experience the Capri sails fastest at about 15 to 20 degrees of heel. That significantly more heel than "flat."

10-12 knots true, I emphasize TRUE, in my opinion single handed, would be a 135. With a crew of 4 or 5 no question it'd be a 155.

Flatten that mainsail until its a board, full ON outhaul, backstay cranked upwind, but where that 135 will be a godsend will be downwind, because the 110 will be useless (unless you are tossing the symmetrical downwind single handed, in which case, sail what you feel comfortable upwind).

Now the exception to my 135 single handed in 10-12, would be if you have lumpy seas. You'll want to crack off a decent amount upwind, to keep the boat going. The Capri HATES lumpy water. Its a wide tub of a boat, and downright stops upwind in chop. I'd be tempted in 10-12 true to go UP to the 155, and sail either with a reef, or really with the mainsail all but flopping. That massive genoa will give you more power.

Lest I be accused of not practicing what I preach, this was my first sail of 2014, with my brandy new 135... winds were right at the conditions you describe. White caps start to show at about 12-15 true, and that day you could see them appear and disappear with puffs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6BMKv7QK9I

C&C 32 Smith Mountain Lake Virginia

Edited by - shnool on 08/15/2015 05:49:35
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 08/15/2015 :  05:54:42  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Single handed, racing, I was 155 to about 10 knots true.
135 was a slot sail, 10-15 knots true...
100 or 110 was 15+....

I was more prone to run the 135 and a reef though above 15 knots true.

Add 2 knots for each of those ranges for each additional crew member.

Downwind if you can run a nice shouldered kite, trim it really flat (lower pole), and sail as deep as possible, as the winds come up. at about 12 knots true, go up in weight, and flatter cut. Its a real PITA to run above 15 knots true though even with crew.... the Capri is a tricky boat to keep under the kite (the kite is huge for such a small boat). It's a broach machine so twing it down if you need to get a handle on that wide bodied kite as you start to rock and roll... I actually cheated and ran the blocks further forward on the rail, to artificially twing it.

C&C 32 Smith Mountain Lake Virginia
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page