Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Switch panel location on our 1989 C25
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/08/2015 :  20:15:55  Show Profile
Preparing to install a new switch panel and now am asking myself why they located the original below the bottom step. You literally have to get down on your knees and elbows to read the panel

Giving serious thought to relocating it to above the galley sink (same place it was on our 1981 C25.)

Anyone have a clue why Catalina moved the panel to such an unfriendly location???

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame

Edited by - OJ on 09/08/2015 20:55:54

ct95949
Captain

Members Avatar

Aruba
300 Posts

Response Posted - 09/08/2015 :  21:36:03  Show Profile
My '90 has the panel in the usual location behind the galley sink. I've never heard of one under the steps although that's where my fuse panel and battery switch is.

'90 SR/WK #6017. PO of '79 SR/SK.
Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 09/09/2015 :  07:40:45  Show Profile
Mine is also under the steps on my 89. Easier to wire since it's right next to the batteries. But it is horrible to access.

1989 C-25 TR/WK #5894
Miss Behavin'
Sittin' in LCYC on Canyon Lake, Texas
Go to Top of Page

cshaw
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
460 Posts

Response Posted - 09/09/2015 :  08:15:20  Show Profile
Confetti has her switch panel beside the steps (but she has several things that are located differently than after things went into production....) The panel is pretty high up on the side of the galley however, so its really no problem, and in fact that makes it easier to reach the switches from the cockpit. I also located the solar panel charging bus switches there and the main battery switch there too.....

I never got around to adding a 110v system to the boat, but I would have put it over behind the sink to keep it away from rain/spray that can get things damp by the ladder.

Instead, I cut a wide door in the bulkhead behind the sink, and attached a storage area under the port cockpit seat. Its a very handy place for things......

Cheers!

Chuck

Chuck Shaw
Confetti
Cat 25, hull#1
1976 FK/TR
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 09/09/2015 :  09:46:59  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
When considering where to locate a replacement or supplemental switch panel, it is best to consider what benefits would be ideal to derive from a new location. Obviously, not having to have others or you (if sailing alone) have to get to a switch panel under the steps would be an advantage. But even better is to locate the new switch panel whereby you could switch on the nav lights and steaming lights by not having to leave the cockpit - A definite benefit if sailing alone.

That is why I located my new switch panel on the front face panel of the sink adjacent to the companionway. (My Cat 25 is also a 1989.) My Nav switch is located on top left of the panel and just below it is the steaming light switch. These are easily accessible from the cockpit.

Addl photos of the install are on my website and at bottom of switch panel opening web screen also click on wiring link). The most important criteria I had for the new switch panel (Mfr - BEP) for locating it below the sink was that the inside footprint of the panel (what goes behind the sink face panel) had clearance with the sink bowl. There is sufficient clearance with the switch panel I selected, but as an additional safeguard, I covered the sink bowl closest areas to the panel with thick rubber tape.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 09/09/2015 09:56:04
Go to Top of Page

cshaw
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
460 Posts

Response Posted - 09/09/2015 :  10:07:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OLarryR

Obviously, not having to have others or you (if sailing alone) have to get to a switch panel under the steps would be an advantage. But even better is to locate the new switch panel whereby you could switch on the nav lights and steaming lights by not having to leave the cockpit - A definite benefit if sailing alone.

That is why I located my new switch panel on the front face panel of the sink adjacent to the companionway.

I see why skippers were complaining about things under the steps!!! Your ladder has its port side virtually up against the Galley cabinet! Another difference from old Confetti, since her ladder is obviously a lot more narrow. Confetti has several inches between the ladder and the side of the galley cabinet, and it is quite easy to see and operate the panel switches and battery switch from the cockpit or the cabin.

With your wider ladder (or maybe its a wider Galley Cabinet?), you have a good location to get to from the cockpit also.... I think we would end up potentially bumping the switches if on the front, but Grandsons can bump into anything anywhere! (at least mine can!)

Chuck

Chuck Shaw
Confetti
Cat 25, hull#1
1976 FK/TR
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/09/2015 :  16:15:53  Show Profile
My '89 also has the panel under the steps. Let me know where you end up putting it.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 09/09/2015 :  19:14:11  Show Profile
Thanks for all the replies. Glad others share my sentiment regarding the panel being located below the bottom step.

FWIW, here's the panel I purchased (note the circuit labels are backlit):

https://www.bluesea.com/products/8023/Traditional_Metal_DC_Panel_-_8_Positions

As the panel face is vertical, I plan to cut a new opening above the ice box (see Craig's picture above). This will reduce the risk of damage if someone splashes water while using the galley sink.)

As I will need to extend wires to move the panel - this will be a 2016 project.

Yeah Larry, our serial numbers are only two apart!

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame

Edited by - OJ on 09/09/2015 19:56:25
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 09/10/2015 :  04:08:27  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Based on some of the replies, a few clarifications:

The bumping into the switches on the front panel of the sink is not a biggy. For one thing, that area getting in close to the sink is somewhat restricted by space and so not an area where you would really brush across. Also, the BEP 8 switch horizontal panel besides having a narrow footprint behind the panel, I also selected it because the switches are for the most part recessed from the front panel display - Switches not exactly flush w/panel face but close to it. Actually, if someone were to somehow brush past the panel like with kids, the tendency would be to shut off the switch versus turning it on. But there are no locks on any switch panel and so if a kid wanted to mess with a switch panel, then one on the front panel of the sink is certainly something that would probably attract kid's eyes/attention and fiddling with the switches is right at the height for little kids ! So - you have a good point especially regarding little fingers getting to the switches.

OJ - My switch panel also allows for backlighting of the labels.

First, separate from backlighting the labels and common to most panels, each switch will illuminate with a small LED to indicate if the switch is "on". Then for backlighting, if desired, a specific switch can be targeted to switch on all backlighting. I decided to hook up backlighting to only come on for all labels when the switch for cabin lighting is turned "on". My thought was that backlighting only really needed when in the cabin and it is getting a bit dark - So then it would be natural to first turn the cabin lighting switch to "on" if any cabin lights desired to be independently switched on. Once that switch is in the "on" position, then all switch labels are backlit. Your Blue Seas panel probably offers same options.

Larry

Edited by - OLarryR on 09/10/2015 04:13:26
Go to Top of Page

tpothen
Deckhand

Members Avatar

17 Posts

Response Posted - 09/10/2015 :  15:34:24  Show Profile  Visit tpothen's Homepage
I mounted the same panel behind the sink, along with the master battery switch and the bilge pump switch. I'll be redoing the shore power next year so I made sure the new panel has room for the matching 120v panel.

I do have the faucet installed now and it doesn't interfere with the breaker panel at all.

"Myasis Dragon" 77' C25/SR/SK/Din.
www.svmyasisdragon.com
Go to Top of Page

SKS
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2015 :  19:26:21  Show Profile
Your point about the switches under the stairway is well taken.
I reviewed several boats before settling on the 1986.
Catalina moved the battery location from underneath the starboard settee to underneath the quarterberth.
Since the batteries were under the quarterberth, I imagine there was a cost savings to install the switches closer to the batteries.
Still, that was one of the factors I steered away from.

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Sailing out of Norwalk Cove Marina, Connecticut
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 10/03/2015 :  12:56:41  Show Profile
Behind the sink makes the entire dumpster part of the "electrical closet" and could cause issues with stored items. Under the steps reduced the cable run, contained the connectors and allows for adding busses in the areas around the back. I also moved some of the lighting circuits to a handier place like OJ did.

Frank Hopper

Edited by - pastmember on 10/03/2015 13:07:20
Go to Top of Page

rustyinbigd
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
13 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2015 :  07:48:42  Show Profile
Mine is on the starboard wall above the settee and just aft of the storage shelf. Very convenient and away from galley.

rusty dworkin
Go to Top of Page

rustyinbigd
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
13 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2015 :  09:19:59  Show Profile
I have a pic but I don't know how to upload it

rusty dworkin
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 10/05/2015 :  16:18:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rustyinbigd

I have a pic but I don't know how to upload it

Rusty, thanks for offering to post a picture - I'm interested in seeing it.

If you scroll down (on the main menu) you'll see "Testing Forum".
Under there is a blurb on posting pictures.

Good luck!

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

Edited by - OJ on 10/05/2015 16:19:48
Go to Top of Page

rustyinbigd
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
13 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2015 :  10:21:22  Show Profile
I'll post tonight!

rusty dworkin
Go to Top of Page

SKS
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 10/07/2015 :  17:15:09  Show Profile
I'm considering moving some of the circuits to weatherproof switches that I can easily access from the cockpit.
I often sail alone, and I often sail at night. Going inside the cabin to turn on the running lights or the steaming light seems foolish.
I also have an external weather proof 12V outlet for use if the batteries fail on my spot light.
I'd leave the A/B/OFF battery switch in the cabin so it won't be accessible to casual strangers walking around the dock and I can be sure all the DC power stays off.
Further, I'm looking for a VHF radio that has the controls on the mic, which I would also locate someplace accessible in the cockpit.
Funny, we've all gone to great lengths to relocate sheets and halyards to the cockpit. I think the same logic holds for the electronic controls.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Sailing out of Norwalk Cove Marina, Connecticut
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2015 :  19:31:13  Show Profile
On my bucket list is to make the electrical more convenient and weather proof -- some nice ideas here to ponder . . . .

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 10/19/2015 :  09:26:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ct95949

My '90 has the panel in the usual location behind the galley sink. I've never heard of one under the steps although that's where my fuse panel and battery switch is.

Craig, could you post a picture of your (galley) electric panels from the backside? I'd like to see exactly where/how Catalina positioned/mounted them.

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

Edited by - OJ on 10/19/2015 09:28:13
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2016 :  18:27:24  Show Profile
Pix of moving switch panel:

Stooopid location of original Catalina switch panel:

Template for cutting hole for new panel:

New hole for new panel:

New switch panel:

Back lite labels:

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

Edited by - OJ on 07/30/2016 14:01:03
Go to Top of Page

Sam001
Vice Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
441 Posts

Response Posted - 07/10/2016 :  09:37:27  Show Profile
Thanks all for the pics.

Capt Sam, USCG Master Near Coastal
Isle of Hope, GA. Charleston,SC. Lake Murray, SC.
Aboard Bobbin - 1982 Standard Rig-Swing Keel #2963 Dinette Model
"On a powerboat you are going somewhere....On a Sailboat you are Already There!" Capt Sam

http://my.boatus.com//memberPhotos/6315398_1_25502.jpg
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 07/10/2016 :  12:01:11  Show Profile
I have several times thought about relocating my electrical panel, which is behind the sink with the battery switch under the steps. The way Larry has his above the drawers would be my choice as it is convenient, as Frank points out removes the dumpster as being an "electrically challenging" storage locker, and as I rarely use the sink. The one caveat would be to make a plastic cover to deflect water if it would drip down.

Obviously, when dealing with a 25 ft platform compromises are abound and I believe that the cost of manufacturing may be the reason that the electrical panel morphed between behind the galley sink and behind the steps. For me it always then becomes is the expense/effort really worth it. For now with this upgrade my mantra is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" .

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 07/10/2016 :  12:39:36  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
If locating under the sink, make sure you check the foot print of the ne switch panel as to how far it will protrude inside so it does not touch the sink bowl.. The BEP 8 switch switch panel I went with had about 3/8"+ clearance. Even so, I then used thick rubber tape applied to the sink bowl where the panel inner structure came closest to the bowl just to ensure there was no contact/potential to ground out.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/10/2016 :  13:01:14  Show Profile
A few pix from Tech Tips:

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/10/2016 :  13:39:15  Show Profile
FWIW, we ran a separate pair of power/ground wires to the VHF. Prior to that, the VHF was using a ground wire that was daisy chained to the cabin lights . . . if not others.

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2016 :  10:56:27  Show Profile
stink potter, thanks for pointing out the pics. I like the last two. now all I need is a cabinet maker and an electrician to re-run the wad of wires from the port cockpit storage area. anyone willing to trade canvas/sail repairs for cabinet or electrical work? I'm also a certified sailing instructor with ASA and US Sailing and will trade for lessons. boat is in slip in Stockton, CA.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page