Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 New Winter Cover
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peregrine
Admiral

Member Avatar

830 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/22/2015 :  20:43:44  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
Should have done this years ago.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Edited by - Peregrine on 11/22/2015 20:44:57

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2015 :  08:51:09  Show Profile
I remember a while ago you were asking about covers. Glad to see you pulled the trigger. They beat messing around with poly tarps hands down.No need to go down and check on it through the winter.I see you got the one that goes just to the railing instead of over. Mine is the same. The benefit is good air circulation to eliminate any mold. Where did you get it from?

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 11/23/2015 08:53:54
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2015 :  12:53:36  Show Profile
Nicely done John.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 11/24/2015 :  21:13:16  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
Thanks Frank.
Fairclough in New Haven made it.
They have a template for the C-25 and it fits well. The wrinkles in the photo eventually came out as I adjusted the boom at the mast. No ties around the hull are needed.
Not cheep but was given a good discount by ordering it in the spring.
Pretty funny watching me wrestle with it alone the first time but I finally figured it out. Under 2 hours the first time should be much faster next year.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/25/2015 :  07:40:35  Show Profile
John, Is it in 3 pieces that zip together? Thats how mine is and as you said, the first time is the slowest. Having had mine now for 6yrs It takes me about 1hr by my self. FYI when you take it off in the spring, Try to fold each section up with the tags (forward,Middle,aft) being visible. It makes it easier the next year.

Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 11/25/2015 :  19:45:36  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by islander

John, Is it in 3 pieces that zip together? Thats how mine is and as you said, the first time is the slowest. Having had mine now for 6yrs It takes me about 1hr by my self. FYI when you take it off in the spring, Try to fold each section up with the tags (forward,Middle,aft) being visible. It makes it easier the next year.

Scott,
No it is all one piece however there is a zipper that goes from the mast to the rail on the port side and a zipper that goes from the aft end of the boom to the port stern. The entire starboard side (the side you see in the photo) is in one piece with a zippered entrance-way on the aft starboard side.
So you slip (lug, push wrestle ) it on from the starboard side then start doing up the zippers on the port side.
Thanks for the tip they did mark forward and aft but I need to mark the starboard side.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Edited by - Peregrine on 11/25/2015 19:49:39
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2015 :  08:07:08  Show Profile
I got a quote this year from Fairclough for a cover mast off configuration -- seemed a bit pricy for this year's budget however everyone who owns one, usually for larger boats, swears by them. Record I have seen is 18 years (98 stenciled on tarp) although they claim 10-12 years service for the canvas is normal.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2015 :  09:16:38  Show Profile
I estimate my cover is 14-15 years old. The fabric shows no damage, wear or chafing. I had it restitched last year, because the stitching was deteriorated. I also had a zipper replaced. Otherwise, it was in excellent condition. The next time I have it restitched, I'll have it done with tenara thread, which should easily outlast the fabric. This cover is 2 piece. The only change I would recommend is to install about 4 vents to let air pass through it more easily. I might do that myself next year. I just learned that sailrite sells them for about $5.00 each, and also has a video showing how they are installed. I don't know who made the cover, but it's obviously expertly measured and made.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 11/26/2015 09:32:47
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2015 :  12:36:44  Show Profile
I got mine from The Canvas Store in Huntington L.I. Annapolis boat show special.They are a local shop to me and like John's they have the measurements on record. I only had to tell them what year and if it was a single or double backstay. 6yrs now and no signs of deterioration but its guaranteed for as long as I own the boat so I just have to bring it back to get re-stitched or a fabric repair if ever needed.
quote:
We use nothing but the best and toughest materials. Our thread, zippers and especially our fabrics are why we guarantee our covers for the life time of the ownership of our boat. We use "Top Gun" fabric, a marine-grade polyester woven fabric with a rubberized finish. This fabric is entirely water resistant but our cover design is NOT air-tight so the shrink-wrap-swamp-effect come spring-time is not an issue.

Go to Top of Page

Ben - FL
Admiral

Members Avatar

880 Posts

Response Posted - 11/27/2015 :  06:21:34  Show Profile  Visit Ben - FL's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrine

Looks like they really pack you in together like canned sardines.

Safe voyages,
Ben
sloop Chick-a-pea,
C250wk#364
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 11/28/2015 :  12:17:57  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Ben - FL

quote:
Originally posted by Peregrine

Looks like they really pack you in together like canned sardines.

They do indeed.
Two things, they only have the parking lot to store boats in and the new lift can handle much larger boats with their masts up so the yard is getting tighter.
The way I look at it is the more boats they cram in the more money they will make and maybe my winter fees won't rise as fast.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 11/28/2015 :  16:06:04  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I inherited my custom cover from the PO and have had it for over 10 years. I put it on if the weather prediction is for more than ~ 4" snow. If it then warms up, I take it off and go sailing. Some winters, I may put it on and take it off a few times thru the season using it between 5-60 days.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 11/28/2015 :  20:25:17  Show Profile
Ben: Up North with winter storage if you get more than 12 inches around your boat you are lucky!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/29/2015 :  07:23:54  Show Profile
They pack 'em in at my boatyard--some years I can barely reach to polish the topsides amidship. But they have a controllable webcam so I can look in on her all winter from the fireside.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 11/29/2015 :  12:57:01  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

They pack 'em in at my boatyard--some years I can barely reach to polish the topsides amidship. But they have a controllable webcam so I can look in on her all winter from the fireside.

Not too bad this year. I'm the side of the driveway they leave that is just one or two boats deep, lined up like soldiers. The port side has an area at the widest that will be a little tough but not too bad. Also water and electricity are right at my stern. Some years it's a stretch with both the hose and elec. cords.
To be able to check on her from afar would be nice.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page