Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Mooring-vs-Slip
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kper
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/06/2016 :  17:35:25  Show Profile
We are considering a move to a mooring.

We have two docks available for sailboats. One is for smaller boats and the other for larger. The larger one is nicer... wider slips, wider walkways and it's taller - easier to board the boat.

I was a part-time employee and I'm thinking of hanging that up since I just don't enjoy it anymore and it eats up all my sailing time. With that part-time employment, though, came a free slip. This year, if I don't continue my employment, I'll end up paying for my slip which is about $2400. I have spoken to the admiral about moving to a mooring which is $750. She's not really excited about that.

To my question...
How easy is it to come and go from the mooring? We sailed with a friend on Lake Michigan and the process of tying off to the mooring seemed like a hassle. How do you folks do that? I hear some do it single handing.

Kyle
'86 SR/SK/Dinette #5284 "Anodyne"
In the barn where we found her...

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2016 :  19:52:38  Show Profile
Me personally I would love a slip. Unfortunately here in my area the summer (May 1 - Oct 15) costs about $3300. If I could get a slip for $2400 I'd be in big time. If I could get one for $0.00 I'd probably sacrifice some sailing time for that.
I've only spent a few weeks on a mooring but that was hell for me. Why?
1. The boat sailed on the mooring, between the wind and the current and the ball dinged the hull.
2. I had to use my kayak to paddle out to the boat on the mooring. I had to lash to the transom and climb up the boarding ladder. One foot always got wet and the movement of the dink, the boat and the waves made it very uncomfortable boarding.
3. Casting off was never a problem but catching the ball on the way back had its share of challenges.
Not pleasant. I'm sure there are dozens of people who love a mooring.
For the past few years I've been on a floating dock out in the harbor. Costs me about $800 for the year. It's a stable platform like a slip but it's not connected to the land. I still have to paddle out but stepping up on the floating dock is lots easier than climbing a boarding ladder. And I keep my foot dry.
If I had my druthers, I'd love a slip. But until conditions change, I'll likely stay on the floating dock.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2016 :  20:14:58  Show Profile
Thanks, Bruce.
The marina sold and is under new management and all but 2 employees are gone, one of which is me. The new manager starts Wednesday so I may be out whether I want it or not. Catching the ball seems like a big hassle so I'm not sure I'd look forward to it.

Kyle
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2016 :  20:41:12  Show Profile
I kept my boat on a mooring for a couple years, and, I much prefer a dock, but didn't mind the mooring.

I have used two types of mooring pendants. One has a clip on the end, and it is clipped to the boat's bow eye. I don't like that type, because I have seen those clips come unhooked and the boat set adrift. The better type has two pendants attached to the buoy. Each has an eye loop on the end. You drop one loop over your starboard bow cleat and drop the other over the port bow cleat.

There are lots of different ways that people can pick up a mooring. I like the simplest method. Buy the longest boat hook you can find. Approach the mooring ball from downwind. Steer the boat slowly toward the mooring ball, from the bow, reach for the mooring pendants with the boat hook, and connect them. The extra long boat hook helps to ensure that you'll be successful in picking up the mooring every time, because, if your steering isn't perfect, or, if the wind blows your bow away from the mooring ball, you can still reach it with the long boat hook. I use the longest boat hook sold by WM (14 feet). It's long reach has saved me many embarrassing moments, docking, retrieving hats, mooring, etc.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 02/06/2016 20:42:23
Go to Top of Page

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2016 :  03:55:06  Show Profile
I just re-read my original post and seemed to have given my dock description with no purpose. The reason I talked about the dock is because even though the smaller docks have been available in the past, the previous manager kept me on the nicer dock since I was an employee (definitely the smallest boat on the nice dock). The smaller dock is only $1750 compared to $2400 for the larger, nicer dock. Unfortunately, there are no slips available on the smaller dock this year which is why I was comparing the larger sum.

One thing I might add is, more than once we have simply sat on the boat to relax, maybe had dinner or just enjoyed slip sailing. I'm afraid we may not do that as much if moored. Enjoying the company of other sailors at the dock isn't something that usually happens as most tend to stick to themselves so that wouldn't be a benefit of staying in the slip.

Steve, I suppose if I was sailing solo I could simply catch the ball from the cockpit and walk it forward?

Kyle

Edited by - Kper on 02/07/2016 03:57:20
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2016 :  06:37:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kper

Steve, I suppose if I was sailing solo I could simply catch the ball from the cockpit and walk it forward?

You could catch it from the cockpit, if you prefer. After it's hooked up, the boat will fall back to leeward in any case. IMO, whatever works is good.

Some docks are more social than others. If the dock is social, that's probably the best reason to have a slip. It's nice to have drinks and a cookout with friends on a Saturday evening.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2016 :  07:47:52  Show Profile
It would be hard not to prefer a slip but the reality of budgets often over-rules, particularly as local winter storage/launch fees haven increased greatly in recent years. That sad we've been on a mooring for over 10 years and it has proven very enjoyable. Pick-ups are easier when the Admiral is at the helm but I often sail solo and it is not an issue with a little preparation. Of course whether a mooring will serve your purpose will depend on how well protected the mooring is. Personally I enjoy the row out to our dinghy but many in our mooring field rely on small outboards. Similarly, watching the local fireworks or spending the occasional evening at the mooring is great as are our neighbors. In choosing between a slip or a mooring consider also the exposure expected in the occasional storm that will come through. We are fortunate in having protection under most conditions but some fields are often exposed.

Preparation is key. We employ a 48" pick-up buoy attached to the pennant, although we always have an extendable boat hook ready as Steve noted. A longer pickup would be easier to catch but I suspect would be harder to quickly pull through the bow pulpit and store once at the mooring. We also use a small portable boarding ladder to step from the dinghy over the side rail. Stepping over the stern with a split bachstay is difficult. When single-handing in relatively calm conditions, I just walk to the bow at the last moment to catch the pickup. The fist time was a bit anxious but our boats are heavy and stable enough that there is no need to rush in most conditions. When the winds are brisk I run a line along the railing from the bow to the stern before coming into the field. I then just motor up along side our pickup, temporarily attach the pennant to this line if need be (using a short line with a snap on each end), and walk the pennant forward to secure it. Always be prepared to circle back around to your mooring if things don't go as planned.

The wind and density of boats in the mooring field will determine how you enapproach your mooring. Our field requests that everyone who can motor on and off their mooring although some often sail, as do the smaller racing boats. We've sailed onto ours a few times but only in light winds or when our outboard gave out. Last, prepare your boat if a significant storm is predicted. Double your pennant if not already, reduce your windage (i.e. remove the mainsail and secure the roller fuller if needed), ...

Again, I recognize the advantages of a slip but don't hesitate to explore a mooring for a couple of seasons if you want. Good luck.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2016 :  12:27:40  Show Profile
In mild conditions, approaching the mooring so that the boat is barely moving by the time it gets to the pick-up buoy and you reach the bow is an art you can learn. In more blustery conditions, doing this single-handedly can be a little "exciting." I've known folks who run a line from stern to bow outside of the lifelines so they can pick up a pennant from the cockpit, clip it onto the line (with a snap shackle or something of the sort on one of the pennant loops, maybe use the outboard to re-align the boat into the wind if it's drifted off, and then walk the pennant to the bow, holding the other pennant.

In addition to dropping the two pennants onto your bow cleats, since they're typically too heavy to run through the cleat throats, you should have a small line with a loop on one end that you can place on top of one pennant and then do a tight cleat-hitch on top of the other pennant, locking both to their cleats.

All that said, I love a slip, and would only consider a mooring if (1) it's in a very protected location, (2) I have an inflatable dink for stable boarding, and (3) there's an easy place to keep the dink--or even better, in place of (2) and (3), there's a launch service. But if you use the boat frequently (even if just sitting in it) over a five month season, for example, $2400 is about $16 per day--sorta like you and your wife going to McDonalds. And the easier it is, the more you'll do it.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/07/2016 12:29:46
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2016 :  14:21:19  Show Profile
There are two issues involved with such a decision: cost vs. preference.00000000

I have been on a mooring with my current boats (small CC outboard and sailboat) for ten years and my previous boats for 15. However, I am a member of a club that offers launch service so the to-and-from are not a hassle as they are in Bruce's situation. Motoring off the mooring is not a problem and motoring back on is also not an issue: the ball/pendent have not caused mars/damage and with practice you develop a routine, although it sometimes may take two passes do to depending on conditions and traffic. Sailing off the mooring is fun and not that difficult to handle alone. Sailing back on can be done but only under perfect conditions -- but is a lot of fun to do when sailing with a friend/crew. I can always power to the dock to pick-up/drop-off and ditto for loading gear, supplies, doing maintenance and washing, etc. So for some, moorings can be a preferred option worth considering.

Regarding the cost, that is a different situation. A public mooring can be a real bargain while a slip at a reputable marina can cost an arm and a leg. That decision really boils down to how much you can afford to pay and the facility you want to be associated with and/or is available. FWIW, I would pick a place/situation you and your family are comfortable with, and as Dave points out, the weekly/monthly cost difference may be far less than you think!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2016 :  21:14:34  Show Profile
Another way of looking at it: The slip in a nice marina is way less than a golf club membership and fees, and guests are free! And it's about sailing!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/08/2016 21:19:26
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2016 :  22:26:16  Show Profile
Dave -
I agree, the social life in a marina, especially a well-appointed one with ample parking, barbecue grills, picnic areas and swimming pools provide all the fun and comraderie of a golf club plus. We were in one of the best in the area: Brewers. For those in the NorthEast, that name is tops for marinas.
Problem wasn't the basic fee but all the nickel and diming that came with the yard. Had to keep my boat in winter storage there or I'd get the bums rush out of there on 15 Oct, every time I needed anything service prices were through the roof and since my boat was one of the smallest on the dock, I got last choice for slip location.
I'd had enough so when I got the opportunity to move to a public facility, I jumped. At the public facility I can still use the main docks for an occasional overnight and my guests can board at the public docks, and over time I've gotten to know many of the other boaters so we can get together socially on occasion.
It's not a totally laid-back neighborhood of slips, but we've made it pretty nice. If I had the chance would I go back? In a heartbeat, but this arrangement ain't too bad...
Life on a ball out in the mooring field just doesn't cut it for me. Thankfully that's not my only option.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 02/08/2016 22:29:44
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page