Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Cruising Forum
 Current? What current?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oldengineer1949
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
75 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/25/2016 :  13:35:52  Show Profile
Yep. I did it. Should have known better when the new Minn Kota Traxxis 80 refused to run at dockside. Hah! I'll show you, you wascaly wabbit, take this (rigs smaller, older Minn Kota Endura 30, reconfigures 24-volt serial battery set to 12-volt parallel configuration). We crept out of the marina, shut down the motor, and raised sail. Sailed blythely DOWNstream. Nice leisurely broad reach for the first hour, 5-knot winds from the Northeast, flying a light gennaker for the first time (for me), Admiral ooh-ing and ahh-ing the nice pretty colored foresail, serving bag lunch in the cockpit as we sail. OK, honey, time to head home. About we come, and ... wind starts shifting, then died! No problem-o, lets fire up the Iron Wind. 30 minutes later: Admiral: "Babe, we're not moving." Eh? Motor is motoring, sails are, uh, flapping but pulling a little... DRAT! We're fighting a current! *slaps forehead, now sunburned from too long exposure* Starts whistling, maybe the old sailors' tales are true, I can whistle up a wind... the Weather Gods smile, and the wind, now from the South, picks up slightly, and we start to make headway (2 knots Speed Over Ground, according to Marine Navigator Lite on my cell phone). Long story short, we crept back upriver for the next three hours, sail and power, with the Admiral periodically threatening to call BoatUS for a tow. OK, we're almost there! Time to drop sail, and head into the harbor. Honey, take the tiller, ok and I'll go forward and drop sail. Unbeknownst to me, Pualani Nui is jealous! My poor wife sits too far back in the cockpit, with the split-backstay METAL yoke right at the level of her cute little nose. You guessed it, she turned her head too fast, and WHAM! I am up forward, dropping sails and notice that the boat is veering off course. Honey, a little more to port, please... honey? Babe! *looks aft to see an empty cockpit* Honey, where are you??? *weak voice from down in the cabin* Down here, fixing a nosebleed. YIKES! I scramble back to the cockpit, and bring Pu back on course for the marina entrance. All this while, in all the excitement, I forgot to raise the keel. We get inside the marina entrance, and Pu glides to a gentle halt, with the poor little Minn Kota valiantly thrashing away. Oy Vay! The keel! Baby! *wife makes a herculean effort to get up, blood still trickling down from her abused nose, grabs the keel winch crank, and raises the keel. Pu gradually gains way, and slowly glides past all the suppressed smirks of the other boat owners in the marina, and we finally tie up at our slip, both heaving huge sighs of relief.

ACTION ITEMS:

1. Believe the wind predictions on SailFlow, and don't go out with winds projected below 5 knots and a wind shift.

2. Fix the old gasoline-fired outboard ('82-vintage Johnson Sailmaster 9.9)

3. Have a serious talk with Pualani Nui about assaulting a Superior Officer (the Admiral, no less!)

Hope y'all got a gentle smile from this latest (all-too true) adventure.

Fair Winds and Following Seas to all y'all,

Al and Bernie Corson

Al and Bernadette, "Pualani Nui", '82 C25 SR/SK, homeport MCB Quantico

Edited by - oldengineer1949 on 04/25/2016 13:39:44

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2016 :  14:56:04  Show Profile
Isn't sailing GREAT!

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2016 :  18:10:32  Show Profile
Go out with whatever light, shifty winds--just go up-stream.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2016 :  04:43:04  Show Profile
Whenever I'm going on a sail to nowhere I usually head upwind for a while. Of course our creek opens into a pretty big expanse of the bay and not a "stream" as you call your grounds. Then either a spinnaker or reach home towards the sunset and shapes of the old buildings. Always inspiring.

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2016 :  08:38:58  Show Profile
I used to homeport Passage in Stratford on the Housatonic River. I learned about river currents while I was learning to sail a keelboat. I thank GOD and of course Dave "Stinkpotter" for the Honda 8 extra long shaft outboard during that time. The "Housie" is known for its tidal currents of up to 4kts and since it's surrounded by wide open tidal flats and grassy islands, the wind is also a constant factor.

Often I'd find that when I wanted to go out, the tide wanted to come in. And of course, a few hours later on my return, the opposite was true. It would take between 45-55 minutes to go the 1.5 nm out to the river's mouth making 2kts over ground at full throttle. Then add opposing wind - six foot breakers! In the odd times that I had favorable conditions, the trip would be 15 minutes. The Iron Jenny was a life saver.

A few years back the marina slip fees went up to my limit so I relocated to a municipal marina at 1/4 the price in the next harbor over in Milford. While it's also a tidal river, there's no current to speak of and its protected from the wind. Yes, I got soft but at least now I can handle Passage in just about any conditions, but don't have to do it so regularly.

And the trip out to the Sound is about 10 minutes.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2016 :  13:26:14  Show Profile
Nice photo Rob!

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page