Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Reefing hook
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladeswell
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/03/2016 :  18:20:54  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Again Everyone,

I just noticed that instead of reefing tack hooks I have a snap shackle attached to the top of the goose neck. Is this going to be okay or should I replace it with an actual tack hook. And if so, should I have one on each side as I do have two sets of reef points. Thanks again.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2016 :  15:23:25  Show Profile
I installed this "Tack Hook" for reefing:

I'm not sure if you could get two of them on the pin for the second reef. I didn't have a second reef point, but I think that maybe the hook could handle both grommets.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2016 :  05:17:12  Show Profile
I use the same line and hook for the cunningham and reef points. I have a fixed goose neck.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2016 :  07:33:20  Show Profile
Why would you need two hooks?

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2016 :  08:02:11  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Again,

I have seen other setups that had one on each side so I didn't know if that was required or not if you have two sets of reef points as I do. Also asking if its OK to use it as is with the snap shackle that is already mounted there. Thanks again everyone.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2016 :  09:03:01  Show Profile
Maybe somebody has two hooks to make it easier to set the reef from either side of the mast. (?)

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2016 :  15:00:46  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Again,

It could be as simple as that Dave. I don't know. You certainly know better than I. Thanks again.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2016 :  19:05:05  Show Profile
What kind of snap hook? Some pelican hooks are rated for high loads, but I don't see any good reason to use one. Slipping a grommet over a hook doesn't take long.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2016 :  20:59:44  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Again,

Looks just like the snap shackles on my halyards. I'll take a picture next time I'm at the boat. Thanks Guys.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

dalelargent
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2016 :  08:10:26  Show Profile
I am with Dave. No need for two hooks.

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 08/08/2016 :  10:11:09  Show Profile
I delivered a 40' cat that used snap shackles for reefing, it also had a piece of nylon webbing through the reef grommets with a D-ring on either side. Attach the snap shackle to one (or both) of the D-rings. I found it so much easier than messing with a hook that I plan on installing one on the Watkins next time I have the main off.

Tom Curran
1981 Capri 25 Hull #101 "Dirty Debbie"
1988 Watkins 30
PAFB, FL
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 08/09/2016 :  18:38:26  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello All,

Here is a pic of the snap shackle on my goose neck.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 08/09/2016 :  19:03:01  Show Profile
Definitely a two handed operation.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2016 :  04:05:36  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Bladeswell

Hello All,

Here is a pic of the snap shackle on my goose neck.

Bladeswell

that is a good idea!

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/10/2016 :  19:54:34  Show Profile
The purpose of the double "Ram's Head" is so you can be on either side of the boom and reef quickly in a race.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 08/11/2016 :  08:43:43  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Back Again,

Ahh, Thanks for all of your thoughts and opinions.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2016 :  10:22:51  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Back for more,

Okay, so if you setup a two line reefing system do you still need a reef hook at the mast end of the boom or is it no longer necessary..? Thanks again.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2016 :  06:54:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bladeswell

Okay, so if you setup a two line reefing system do you still need a reef hook at the mast end of the boom or is it no longer necessary..?

The forward line is doing what the hook would do. The biggest advantage over the hook would be if you led both lines to the cockpit.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/21/2016 06:56:30
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2016 :  09:43:07  Show Profile
A hook or hooks on the gooseneck is a good method of reefing on a bigger boat, and if it has multiple crew. A 2 line system is generally better if the lines are all led to the cockpit, and you're shorthanded. The latter is also better for smaller boats, because you can reef without leaving the cockpit, and small boats can roll so wildly in a chop that it's difficult to stay on the coach roof.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2016 :  10:26:12  Show Profile
Regarding your pic of the gooseneck slide with the snap shackle attached, it looks like someone flipped the slide upside down so the hole would be on top. The normal position is hole down, and that hole is used for the boom downhaul line. If you are going to stay with a 1 line system, I recommend replacing the snap shackle with a reef hook and flipping the gooseneck slide at your next opportunity. If your main halyard runs back to the cockpit, go to a 2-line system. The reef hook makes sense only if your main halyard cleats on the mast causing you to have to go forward to loosen the halyard.
Remember, the best time to reef is while you are still at the dock!

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

Edited by - dmpilc on 10/21/2016 10:28:04
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2016 :  13:56:59  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Thanks David,

My main halyard is led to the cockpit so a two line system it shall be. Thanks again.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

pearson39b
1st Mate

Members Avatar

93 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2016 :  09:06:30  Show Profile
For what it's worth: I've had two sailmakers recommend against a single reef line system. Their reasoning was that those systems caused a major portion of their sail repair work, replacing torn out slide attachment points on the luff. Problem happens because often the leech line applies unequal tension to the luff if the luff hasn't already been tensioned by the halyard after the luff reef point is set.

So, when I got my new sails, I modified my single-line system by replacing the luff reef line with an adjustable line that attached to the base of the mast and had a snap shackle that could function as a reefing line or a Cunningham with the above mentioned D rings and webbing through the reef grommets. Because my leech reef line and halyard were still led to the cockpit, the snap shackle was better than a hook, which could have slipped off before I could get back to the cockpit to re-tension the halyard after setting a reef in the luff.

I know this sounds awfully complicated, but it worked much better than the single line system, which usually required a trip to the mast anyway.

The main point is, whichever line configuration you use, make sure the luff is tensioned by the halyard before you apply tensioning forces to the leech. You want to apply that force to all the luff slides, not just a couple at the bottom of the sail.

Sailor Jerry
C-25 "Sea Song"
1978, SK, Std.
Pepin, WI
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2016 :  15:19:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by pearson39b

The main point is, whichever line configuration you use, make sure the luff is tensioned by the halyard before you apply tensioning forces to the leech. You want to apply that force to all the luff slides, not just a couple at the bottom of the sail.
Also, the forward reefing line of the 2-line system should be rigged to pull slightly forward as well as down on the reef tack. Then, once that's tensioned, it prevents excessive rearward force on the bottom slug when the clew reef line is tensioned (as a reef hook would). That's the primary advantage of two lines--a single line through both the reef tack and clew can pull the clew aft prematurely and pop a slug out, which can subsequently damage the sail at the next slug up when the sail is filled.

A sailmaker I knew said the most common damage related to reefing was the reef-ties being tied too tightly--the their grommets aren't reinforced for high tension when the sail is filled like the reef tack and clew are. The ties should be just barely tight enough to keep the bundled sail from falling below the boom.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2016 :  21:27:56  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Thanks again guys,

Good information and advise. I will put it all to good use. good sailing everyone.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page