Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Used Headsails
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladeswell
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/22/2016 :  11:53:46  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi guys,

So, I took all of my sails to the sail loft to have them measured and evaluated. Turns out I have an odd assortment of sizes. They all seem to be made by North Sails but are probably vintage 1980s. All were found to be in "good" condition with the exception of the 150% ginny which needs the dacron UV cover resewn. Though the sail itself was also called good condition. According to the loft's measurements I have a 105%, a 115% one more that I don't recall the percentage and then the 150%. I may decide to keep the 115% for now until I can buy a new 135%. But the others I would like to sell. My question is what is a fair asking price for sails of this description. I would of course like to get as much as I can for them but at the same time I don't want anyone to feel cheated. Thanks for your opinions. I also have the old main sail and a spinnaker but the main needs a small patch just about center of the sail. The spinnaker I intend to keep for now even though I have never flown one before.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2016 :  12:08:58  Show Profile
I can't help in pricing your assortment of sails. As with selling anything it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I say sell them all and put the money towards a RF and a nice new 135.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

SKS
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2016 :  12:33:42  Show Profile
Furling or hank on ?

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Sailing out of Norwalk Cove Marina, Connecticut
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2016 :  12:35:45  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello,

I am sorry, I forgot to mention that they are all furling head sails with the exception of the old main of course. And yes, I do have furling gear up forward.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2016 :  13:22:13  Show Profile
My suggestion would be to search the swap meet forum. Do a current and then an archived search. You should be able to get a pretty good feel for what has sold and at what price.

What I've seen over the years is that there are a lot of new owners that purchased a "fixer upper" that may have no sails at all. They are happy to get a good deal on any sail that is still in one piece.....

Oh BTW, there is no greater satisfaction than hoisting a brand new main and genoa. It's like putting on a designer suit and going to the most expensive restaurant in town.............

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2016 :  16:03:07  Show Profile
Take photos of them in use in a decent breeze (10 knots) so that potential buyers can see what they look like. Shoot from the center of the foot looking up to get the best shot of the shape. With help from one other sailor you can do this for all 4 sails in an hour or so.

You can look at Minneys Yacht Sales to get an idea of what they might be worth. In general I've bought barely used but older dacron sails that are C25 sized for about $150-$200 each.

Alex W
Seattle, WA
Express 37 "re-Quest"
previously owned 1984 Catalina 25 "Lutra"
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2016 :  16:28:50  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Again,

Thanks for the tips. My sail loft told me about Minnie's and I gave them a call. They said they never pay more than $100 for a used sail even if next to brand new. But he may have a 135% that he would trade for the other sails. Hmmm.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2016 :  18:24:02  Show Profile
To me a used sail to another owner is always $100. it is not about making money on old sails it is about helping someone who needs them... they are used sails; I have always paid the freight too.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 09/24/2016 :  05:58:09  Show Profile
You should post in the Swap Meet and add a price for taking them all. If you get $100/ea. then it sounds like you are half way to a NEW 135 head sail from the likes of Ullman/Ventura. You might want to check freight costs for shipping so you can advise any interested party and not have a deal tank at the last minute.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 09/24/2016 :  18:37:49  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Again,

Thanks for all the input. I checked the swap meet area and as many of you said it looks like the going rate seems to be about $100 per sail. Now all that's left is to decide if I want to see what Minnie's will offer or post them in the swap meet. Thanks again everyone.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/25/2016 :  12:11:11  Show Profile
I'd give your compatriots here first shot in the Swap Meet, and sell to Minnie's whatever doesn't go in your timeframe. $100 is a better price than folks here would pay to a re-seller. I doubt there will be much interest in the package of four furling sails.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 09/25/2016 :  17:56:58  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Again,

I will do that Dave. I'm in no particular hurry. Just going to throw it right back into the boat anyway. Good sailing all.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page