Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Hull 922 Bimini Frame
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Carl in LA
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/31/2017 :  21:40:46  Show Profile
Hi All:

Closing in on the last few enhancements to Island Dreams prepping hopefully for a decade of future service.

I wanted a stand-up bimini but did not want to secure the frame to the stern rail seats. I wanted the stern rail seats to have lots of elbow room.

So I attached a frame to the rail that is above the fuel compartment. The stainless was bent and welded at House of Stainless in Gardena, CA.

It is hinge mounted so it can be folded down for job crane launching.

I'll say it... it is not an obvious fit for the boat. Perhaps with the front bow and canvas in place it will look a little more like it belongs.

Catalina 250 - Pretty Good Boat

Dave Brown
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
174 Posts

Response Posted - 04/03/2017 :  15:22:03  Show Profile
OK, I,m watching this.

I have the same boat, #411, but with a cock pit Bimini, on rail's.
so it can be adjusted, for and aft.
I have also, re-drill my boom block hole, Fwd, a little more than a foot. [ more room for a bigger Bimini}! and installed a 6 to 1 block.
( less work )
I had the foot of my main sail,(clue end only) re-cut, 8", so the boom is higher. ( clears the Bimini )
So, I'm watching this.

Dave B.
Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2017 :  19:22:11  Show Profile
A few more segments of stainless mounted...

How about a hard top instead of canvas?

Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2017 :  00:47:54  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
That's interesting aft support frame. Looks like Dodge Challenger's back lights :-)

Anyway I think it's very soft to compress from the top so you will have to add more vertical reinforcement tubes in the middle part.

PS: Regarding the hard-top idea, are you able to sail with it? I mean the clearance around the sail and boom?

Good job anyway!

Dalpol Phobos 21, 2013, Sole Mio, hull #27, current adventures - We sail Phobos 21

PO of Catalina C25, 1978, High Anxiety, hull #701, SR, FK, L-dinette, inboard diesel Volvo Penta MD2010C w/saildrive - more info

Edited by - Tomas Kruska on 05/02/2017 00:52:12
Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2017 :  07:13:26  Show Profile
Thanks Tomas for the cool observation... I see the similarity too.

The plastics vendor suggested there would not be a plastic sheet product suitable and recommended building a fiberglass sheet - rather than go through the multiple steps to build a fiberglass hard top I'll stick with fabric.

Here is a photo of a sheet of Duta Skrim patterning material as procured from Sailrite spread over the frame. The Dura Skrim is adhered to the frame by a bit of Seamstick laid on tape as depicted in Sailrite bimini fabrication videos on youtube.

I am a bit concerned about how to sew the zippers as they approach the outboard ends of the bimini fabric. Sailrite basically says to migrate the path of the zipper about 1 3/4 inches and that will take up the slack as the fabric wraps around the end-curve of the bow.

We shall see...

Edited by - Carl in LA on 05/26/2017 07:19:53
Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2017 :  06:59:59  Show Profile
An update with progress pictures...

The pattern and the material are just a little big for working in my studio so I had to relocate to the patio... did not like laying down the fabric on the concrete but then I declared it will be exposed to the elements for several years so go ahead. Perhaps could have laid down a sheet of plastic drop cloth under - maybe next time.

Then cutting the Sunbrella - hot knife is the only way to go as it locks the edges of the fabric while cutting. On smaller cuts that will be hemmed I will use scissors.

The Sailrite LS-1... it flat chews through that material... far easier to use than the older Pfaff 130 (in the background) that I used in the past. One piece of advise the loft gave me when discussing was to use lifetime thread... the argument was why would you sew with polyester thread that will breakdown in three years when the Sunbrella is guaranteed for eight? I agreed and purchased the PTFE thread from Sailrite - super expensive but still agree that the bite of the price is offset by not having to restitch that thing before its lifespan is over.

Laid out to see the progress...

And then down to the boat for a test fit. Choose to test fit as I had not done this task before and was unsure of how the fit would turn out. Fit is pretty good - I made a few marks and will compare them with the pattern as I finish sewing this bimini fabric.

More to follow...

Best to all,

Carl

Edited by - Carl in LA on 06/02/2017 17:57:57
Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2017 :  06:43:26  Show Profile
Bimini fabric installed.

Fit is decent... a little soft in the middle. Perhaps the fabric could have extended further over the sides giving an opportunity to stretch-tighten across the top... but it is serviceable as is.

Great crafting experience working with zippers and reinforcing.

The powerful Sailrite sewing machine made the task doable... using the less powerful machine - it could be done but would have been more tedious.

The mission was to have stand up clearance and broad coverage and both are achieved.

Edited by - Carl in LA on 06/06/2017 06:48:29
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page