Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 250 WB MKII keel removal
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

e714753
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/30/2017 :  19:49:40  Show Profile
Does anyone have any experience removing the swing keel while the boat is on the trailer? I am not sure if it can be done without a huge amount of effort. It seems the keel might be inside the keel truck a little to far and cannot be dropped down to slide out (not sure). I have the trail rite trailer with the mast raising system.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

dubedoo
1st Mate

Members Avatar

68 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2017 :  06:19:29  Show Profile
I've done it a few times with boat and trailrite trailer. Removed the centerboard bunk to allow the centerboard to drop down a little further once you're ready to lower it. Put blocks behind the tires so the trailer isn't going to move. Jacked the tongue (front) of the trailer up. Put jacks under the trailer frame so that you can rest the trailer on the jacks and place blocks under the tongue jack and jack the trailer up some more/higher. The back of the trailer is almost touching the ground. Make sure that the trailer frame is well blocked before crawling under the boat. Loosen and remove the centerboard hanger and pivot pin noting which side of the hanger is up and which hanger piece came off of which side of the boat so that they can be reinstalled the same way they came off. Make sure that the centerboard raising line is loose/has slack. Pull down on the front of the centerboard, tilting it sideways some if needed, and pull it out forward some. Disconnect the centerboard raising line attachment from the centerboard. Pull the centerboard out forward under the trailer frame.

Did the above myself a couple of times. Now get someone to help, especially with manhandling the centerboard back up into the trunk when ready to put it back together.

There are posts in the archives describing how some have lifted the bow of the boat up from and off of the trailer in order to remove the centerboard. I did that once but prefer the above method. It wouldn't hurt to go through archives on the subject. Good luck and be safe.

Steve
C250 wb #702

Edited by - dubedoo on 05/01/2017 17:15:22
Go to Top of Page

doublereefed
Navigator

Members Avatar

167 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2017 :  08:12:00  Show Profile
Interesting! How heavy is the centerboard?

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT
Go to Top of Page

dubedoo
1st Mate

Members Avatar

68 Posts

Response Posted - 05/01/2017 :  17:19:04  Show Profile
I think that I've seen the weight of the centerboard listed at between 90 and 100 pounds. I've never weighed it.

Steve
C250 wb #702
Go to Top of Page

neflier
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2017 :  11:20:54  Show Profile
Just did this job this past weekend to reinstall the c/b after paint. It's not that bad of a job. I blocked the center of the aft most brace on the trailer to prevent the trailer from tipping back. Using a bottle jack and blocking the bow was lifted off the trailer so that the c/b would fit under the hull while resting on the center bunk. The hull was then lowered as the c/b went into the c/b trunk. Doing it this way, I was also able to paint under most of the bunks.

I can confirm that the c/b weighs roughly 100#. It took a little effort to get it into position, but wasn't that bad.

Links to a few pictures as I can't get them embedded into this post:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mceu0i12a1khmeh/img_5767.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/88r8td1fy3a28en/img_5766.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ifyfzs2u45690p5/img_5762.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjipbht4z1dr8xe/img_5771.jpg?dl=0

Edited by - neflier on 05/02/2017 11:22:54
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 05/02/2017 :  17:02:15  Show Profile
Mr. Neflier,
I copied your photos and posted them here.

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793

Edited by - Russ.Johnson on 05/02/2017 17:03:49
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page