Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Looking at 1995 Catalina 250 WB- Advice?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ryank020
1st Mate

Member Avatar

53 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/14/2017 :  19:00:16  Show Profile
My constant searching for a 25 has led me to a 1995 Catalina 250 WB, upgrading from a 1985 Catalina 22 SK. I found this boat, which includes a 2010 Galvanized dual axle trailer and 2013 Honda 9.9 outboard. Owner says boat has almost new North main, a furling jib, a bimini, and shore power for all the big ticket items to consider. Asking price is $9K, and he says he needs to sell because he bought another boat and needs to get rid of this.

My situation, I do not need a new boat, but this seems like a good deal and checks off what I would look for in a larger boat (i.e. two berths, enclosed head, larger cockpit). Trailing is not an issue for me, so no discussion needed. I really do not want WB (I would be going FK or WG for any upgrade if it wasnt for thsi), but this boat just seems to have too good of price. I sail only on an inland lake, so light winds are common. Boat would be slipped all year.

I was just looking for any input on this particular boat (i.e. pros, cons, things to look for). If you were upgrading, would you consider this boat or wait till the perfect boat came along despite (what I think is) a great price?

1984 Cat 25 FK/TR #4687

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 05/14/2017 :  19:47:23  Show Profile
If you don't want WB, you should hold out for what you want. That applies for any boat purchase.

If a guy is too anxious to get rid of this boat, you should look carefully for life-ending defects. Search around this site for discussions of cracked ballast tanks, especially if you are in a cold weather area. It's very possible that he's giving you the straight story, but if not, it wouldn't be the first time that happened.

If you hire a surveyor, try very hard to get one with experience inspecting WB boats. That's going to be hard to find, but could be important in this case.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

ryank020
1st Mate

Members Avatar

53 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2017 :  19:19:23  Show Profile
Thank you for the cracked water ballast tank advice...I never thought of that. If a tank is cracked, how quick can you notice that issue? I am thinking I could ask to put the boat in the water and have the tanks filled to find any cracks.

1984 Cat 25 FK/TR #4687
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2017 :  19:29:46  Show Profile
I agree with Rick 150%. If you don't want a WB don't buy it no matter how good a deal it is. You'll end up regretting it later. I'm betting there's an issue with the ballast tank. The average buyer off the street with newboatitis that isn't aware of the possible problems the tanks can have would never know to look.

I looked all over Texas for over a year (including on my honeymoon!). One evening the perfect boat I'd been looking for ('89 C-25) fell in my lap right here in the Swap Meet section on this forum AND it was right here in the Houston area. Looked at it one day and bought it a couple of days later after having it surveyed. Definitely worth the $400 for the survey.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 05/17/2017 19:32:12
Go to Top of Page

mdidomenico
1st Mate

Members Avatar

71 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2017 :  14:10:54  Show Profile
as someone that currently has one of the aforementioned cracked ballast tank boats, i would agree walk away if it's not the one you really want.

the cost to fix my tank came in roughly the same amount the boat is worth.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page