Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Cruising Forum
 In the water at last
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slim
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/16/2017 :  10:06:16  Show Profile
Hi Everyone

After over a year of work on my boat, Willow, I was finally able to put her in the water at Lake Mead and live aboard her for the past 2 months. I can hardly believe it but everything worked perfectly a planned. My solar ele never let my battery get below 85% and i never had to plug in once during the entire time. I had a great time except for putting a tear in my main sail that i am getting repaired now.

Slim

1978 - C25 - standard rig - Fixed keel #1040

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2017 :  10:26:49  Show Profile
Fantastic! Congratulations! (You definitely have a solar advantage!)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2017 :  03:52:04  Show Profile
Congrats...well done! Any pics/descriptions of how you mounted your solar panel?

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

slim
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2017 :  17:48:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by glivs

Congrats...well done! Any pics/descriptions of how you mounted your solar panel?

Hi

I can hardly believe that i have not documented any of my solar panel installation but it was done at the last of my modifications shortly before i was to leave and i just did not get around to it. Really the installation is simple 2 - 1” X #8539;” aluminum strips to go across the solar panel on the back and 2 u bolts that go thru them and around a 1” tubing. The controller i mounted I/S with a adhesive once i had decided where i wanted it. No need to drill a bunch of holes and if you put it on with something that is not too much trouble to take off you can move it if you don't like the location. I will see if i cant get some photos of it to post soon.

Slim

Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2017 :  12:16:21  Show Profile
Not to highjack Slim's thread, but I installed a similar solar panel rig. Here was the thread on that:

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=22843

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2017 :  19:25:52  Show Profile
Nice all...thanks!

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

slim
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2017 :  13:36:51  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by slim

Hi Everyone

After over a year of work on my boat, Willow, I was finally able to put her in the water at Lake Mead and live aboard her for the past 2 months. I can hardly believe it but everything worked perfectly a planned. My solar ele never let my battery get below 85% and i never had to plug in once during the entire time. I had a great time except for putting a tear in my main sail that i am getting repaired now.

Slim

Just a note for those of you that are thinking about getting sailwork done. I did tear my main sail about 4 ft on the bottom batten pocket and did need to get it repaired. After some trouble finding a sail shop to do the work i ended up sending the sail to Quantum sails San Diego and want to say that they did a really great job on the repair along with exceptional speed on the in and out. I can recommend them wholeheartedly from my personal experience. A1

Slim

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page