Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 foam luff
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dasreboot
Admiral

Member Avatar

803 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/06/2017 :  07:51:03  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
Went on a long trip this weekend, and noticed the thread on my UV cover on the headsail is coming loose. I've got the sail in the back ov my car and will fix it myself this week. I've always thought about adding a foam or rope luff to take up the baginess when rolled. looks pretty easy, just a dacron pocket to hold it. Anyone have pics of a c25 headsail with foam or rope luff? looking for how long i should make them.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2017 :  17:13:37  Show Profile
I was also curious about this. When extremely reefed the head sail was flapping violently and somehow still provided about 2+ knots beating into rough seas.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2017 :  19:50:24  Show Profile
Talk to your local sail loft so to best understand what the left foam will do for you vs what other issues may be impacting sail "shape"

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 09/25/2017 :  22:53:21  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
+1 to what Peter said; talk with a sailmaker before making mods to your sail.

Even just adding a bulking element like foam can have unanticipated results. By just bulking-up the luff you can break the smooth entry and detach the flow well back from the leading edge, where it's most important. At least one sailmaker sews parallel lengths of bolt-rope to the sail just aft of the leading edge (in successively shorter lengths as they progress aft - the effect is to concentrate the greatest bulk about a third up from the tack and taper the bulk out above and below that). Although it results in a surface that's not as smooth as bare cloth it isn't as bulky as if it were all concentrated in one place. Also, foam compresses, and it's important to know how much it will flatten-down as the sail is furled with a substantial amount of wind pressure against it; it does no good if it flattens-down completely.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 09/26/2017 :  04:23:20  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
From another site I received some good advice. Add the rope luff in with tape first so you can test it out. Then you can sew it in when ou have found the right lengths. Will probably try it out soon.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2018 :  04:25:08  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
Taped in some poly rope with dacron sail repair tape. started at the first seam from the bottom. the first rope covered about 3/4 of the sail. The remaining three ropes were progressively smaller. Initial results are promising. In light winds the reefed sail was noticeably flatter. I'll have to try it in heavier winds to see how much stretch will factor in. Unfortunately my before photo did not adequately show the baginess of the reefed sail, so you'll just have to imagine. This is the sail after the rope luff. Still a little too full by the second seam i think.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2018 :  06:47:54  Show Profile
I've seen it suggested that you can get the same effect by rolling up a bath towel in the luff. I've never tried it, but suspect it would improve the sail's shape. I wouldn't want to roll it up while standing on the bow in a nasty chop, but in an inland lake it should be doable, as long as you don't lose your towel overboard when you unroll it.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2018 :  08:41:42  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

I've seen it suggested that you can get the same effect by rolling up a bath towel in the luff. I've never tried it, but suspect it would improve the sail's shape. I wouldn't want to roll it up while standing on the bow in a nasty chop, but in an inland lake it should be doable, as long as you don't lose your towel overboard when you unroll it.

Ive seen that in the olden days with roller boom reefing (actually had a boat with that, but was converted to slab reefing) they kept foam pieces to drop in to improve shape.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page