Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Re up membership and centerboard issue
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bear
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
909 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/10/2017 :  18:54:33  Show Profile
Like to renew my membership here. Need direction for that. Also, centerboard has become maybe impossible to raise without breaking cable. Pretty sure it's where I lowered it about half way down, Any thoughts on maybe pulling boat onto ramp bottom to maybe let the ramp bottom break it loose upwards? Also, thinking of letting trailrite trailer push it up into cavity when removing boat for season. Thanks folks.

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2017 :  06:20:12  Show Profile
The ramp idea could break it loose, or it could break something else. Having had a centerboarder years ago, I think I would first try to get the board all the way down in case that frees something up (like something that's caught in the trunk). That can be attempted by looping a rope around the transom and pulling it forward on both sides, leaving enough slack that you have a good forward-angle pull when you get to the aft edge of the centerboard. If that doesn't work, try the same thing from the bow. The danger there is whatever is jamming it could get worse... Beyond that, I'd get a yard to give you a short haul in slings so you can look at what's going on.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/11/2017 06:23:56
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2017 :  09:59:55  Show Profile
If it's in salt water, then barnacles in the centerboard trunk would be a likely cause. If it's in fresh water, it's hard to imagine what could jam it that much except perhaps zebra mussels.

I'd second the suggestion of a short haul. I'd get a piece of rigid sheet metal that's thin enough to fit between the centerboard and trunk, and use it and a hammer to carefully chisel out any debris in that space.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2017 :  11:29:47  Show Profile

The most economical will be that if the boat is still in the water to take a pair of goggles and dive below the boat to inspect/feel the trunk. If there are no obstructions like sticks or debris in the trunk it could be that the turning ball is frozen.

Gently running the boat up the ramp while hauling the center board up will work well. Make sure though that the boat does not move sideways or undue loads are placed on the center board.

The other method you mentioned will work as well but in order not to damage your centerboard cover the back rail of the trailer with a thick layer of foam. You may have to do a fair amount of winching

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)
Go to Top of Page

bear
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
909 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2017 :  16:58:13  Show Profile
Thanks folks. The boat is in a fresh water pure lake in the southern Adirondacks of New York. I suspect the turning ball. I'm going to try and let the centerboard go down by itself. I always sailed with it half way down. Then try pulling it up by hand. Water to cold now for under hull observation. Will let forum know outcome. THANX
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/11/2017 :  20:56:03  Show Profile
Living in nearby Fairfield county CT, it's pretty well known that many NYS lakes are beset by zebra mussels. The Hudson River, the Housatonic and several lakes around the Catskills, Berkshires and Taconics area have reported them. CT's Candlewood lake temp is in the middle 70s, so while air temps have been in the 60s, the water is still quite warm. I'd either get a haul or snorkel and mask to take a peek, since it's most likely those damned mussels. They're everywhere!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

bear
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
909 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2017 :  18:04:42  Show Profile
I did get centerboard moving today. I pushed the up haul line into cabin off the two forward pulleys in front of cockpit floor. The centerboard dropped. I then lined the up haul line with the pulleys down below the stairs and pulled and the centerboard came up with out much difficulty. Suspect I lost a lot of the mechanical advantage trying to use those first pulleys in front of the cockpit floor. Thanx for your inputs folks. Need info on rejoining association
Go to Top of Page

Commodore
Russ Johnson

Members Avatar

USA
690 Posts

Response Posted - 09/12/2017 :  21:55:34  Show Profile
Bear,

I sent you a forum email about renewing your membership.
Please send me an email with your details and I answer your questions.

Thanks, Russ Johnson
Commodore

Russ Johnson, Commodore 2009-2022 (commodore at catalina-capri-25s.org)
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2017 :  11:20:38  Show Profile

As a reference we replaced this

With the above

And a stronger than steel 5 m/m Vectra, double spliced, up-haul cable

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page