Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Moving the Main Halyard Winch
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Captmorgan
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/30/2017 :  07:46:54  Show Profile
I am going to route the main halyard to the cockpit.

I have the block the deck organizer and the cleat.

Is it a big deal to move the Main halyard winch from the
mast to the deck. I was going to put in on port side.
I have a lazy jack and main halyard to run through organizer.

I will put the reefing line on the other side.
Anything I need special to move the winch.

I assumed I might need a backing plate?

How do you deal with inside the cabin

"The Gal-Way" 1985 SR/SK Barnegat Bay, NJ

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2017 :  08:27:45  Show Profile
I moved mine to the cabin top and love it. No more running forward to raise or lower the main. The biggest reason I did it was to keep from crawling around my bimini when it was time to raise the main. I can climb on top of the boat and post some pictures of the hardware later if you need, but it sounds like you already have all of it.

As far as inside the cabin, I use stainless fender washers. So far so good. I would give the cabin a good tap and see if sounds solid. I've had issues with rot in mine and have had to inject epoxy in quite a few places.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2017 :  08:34:55  Show Profile
John, let me see if I understood what you're saying? You want to remove the halyard winch from the mast and secure it to the cabin top?, or somewhere on the gunwale?
First you have to remove it from the mast. On mine, I'd have to remove the bell of the winch to get at the mounting bolts. Then mine is mounted to a block of wood to match the cylindrical curvature of the mast, so I'd have to remove that too. No idea what I'd find in the removal process.
Then, where would you site the new spot? On the poptop? On the cabintop between the poptop and the grab rail? Or on the cockpit bulkhead? The fiberglass material in these areas is pretty beefy so a good metal backing plate would make it secure.
Definitely good to measure not only the space required for the winch but also room for lines and ease of tailing and swing of the winch handle. Would you still be able to raise the poptop? Could be a tight fit.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2017 :  09:27:05  Show Profile
I never had a winch on the mast. Just a cam cleat on the cabin top between the pop top and the grab rail. I simply mounted a lewmar 6 in front of the cam cleat with ss fender washers and smaller backup washers. Works great and holds 200+ lbs when going up the mast. Also I did mount it on the starboard side as research suggests would be the proper side for a main halyard. Mine was on the port.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 09/30/2017 :  21:47:25  Show Profile
My main halyard is already on the port side. The winch in on the port side of mast. I think its the port side of the masthead. The jib halyard is on the starboard side. Does it really matter?

I think Im just going to keep it on port and then put the winch on cabin top between pop up and wood rail

Any issues with this?

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2017 :  06:31:26  Show Profile
I added a halyard winch to the cabin top (I do not have a pop top) and kept the winch on the mast. My reason to add vs move was that the winch on the mast was older and did not operate smoothly even after a servicing -- by adding a winch I had one in good working order where I needed it for cockpit control AND had one on the mast should I need one for other purposes (bosun chair, etc) or as a back-up. Having lines leading to the cockpit is a game changer -- makes single handling much, much easier.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2017 :  11:20:21  Show Profile
Ok then if I wanted to buy one which is best value. I don't want to spend a fortune

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2017 :  12:53:37  Show Profile
Lewmar or Harken number 7 or 8 (I have Lewmar #8 on coach roof, #7 on mast) I bought mine new on sale at Defender, but you will find used winches on E-bay (I replaced winches on a previous boat that way) for low prices.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT

Edited by - bigelowp on 10/03/2017 13:46:38
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2017 :  14:26:52  Show Profile
Single speed is fine. Catalina installed Lewmar #6 on my boat. They (I have 2 ) are positioned 1/2 way between the back of the handrail and a cleat. 4 bolts hold them with fender washers and nuts then acorn nuts on the inside. The acorn nuts protect your scalp.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 10/01/2017 14:42:24
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 10/01/2017 :  21:29:59  Show Profile
I have a retired #6 from my mast for sale. I posted it a long time ago on Swapmeet. Serviced and ready to go. Send an email if interested. I use a 4:1 downhaul on the boom after I hoist. My halyard is long enough to go through the cam cleat and reach the sheet winch if I need it.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 10/01/2017 21:34:12
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2017 :  19:36:32  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
John:

Just to add a few points to what has already been shared...

As Jeremy and Peter said, the halyard winch is normally more convenient on the cabin top back at the cockpit, especially when conditions are such that you don't want to have to go forward. However, when the slugs stick in the track it's nice to be at the mast to jerk on the luff to free them. In retrospect I wish I had left the winch on the mast and added a second winch on the cabin top as Peter described.

Although you mentioned that you already have a cleat, you didn't say whether you'll be using a horned cleat or a mechanical cleat (cam cleat or clam cleat). A mechanical cleat is quicker to release than a horned cleat, although to drop the sail it's necessary to tension the halyard slightly to release it from either of those two types. A better choice is a clutch: lift the handle and the halyard is released (this can be important if you need to get the sail down in a hurry). Either way, a mechanical cleat or a clutch needs to be sized to the halyard: give some thought to whether you might want to change your halyard (ie. smaller-diameter low-stretch line) before buying and mounting either type.

Mechanical cleats are normally installed before the winch so tension can be taken up to release the line from the cleat. Clutches are also normally installed ahead of the winch, allowing you to temporarily secure the halyard while you throw another turn around the winch. A horned cleat, on the other hand, would be mounted after the winch, as in Scott's photo, because it would be tough to bend the line onto the cleat while it's in tension around the winch.

A clutch or a mechanical cleat needs to be mounted so that the line leads properly to the winch drum. The line should approach the winch from slightly below barrel of the drum, but too much of an angle will make it difficult to secure the line in a cam or clam cleat. On the other hand, it could be necessary to raise the winch on a pad if the clutch is too tall. Just 'eyeballing' it is generally sufficient rather than working to measurements.

A backing plate isn't necessary under the winch because the force on the screws is mainly shear rather than uplift. Also, keep in mind that there will probably be a gap between the exterior shell and the interior liner; they were molded as two separate units and then nested together at the factory, and the gap between them can be significant. You'll see this when you drill the holes. This means you cannot tighten the nuts on the underside indiscriminately without deforming one or the other. Proper bedding is important under the winch and other hardware. Countersink the holes in the exterior shell to produce beveled edges that create a gasket of bedding material around each screw where it penetrates the shell.

You mentioned that you already have a block to lead the halyard outboard from the base of the mast. Usually a conventional block is shackled to a mast base plate with holes on its side edges for this, but a standing block or a fixed lead block are good alternatives. You also mentioned you have a deck organizer. If only one or two lines are coming aft cheek blocks can be better than an organizer on the curved surface of the cabin top, but with more than a couple or three lines an organizer is probably necessary.

You also mentioned a lazy jack, John, which I take to mean a setup that can be deployed before dropping the sail but stowed out of the way otherwise. Lazy jacks (usually one on each side) can be run through small blocks on the spreaders; it isn't necessary to take them up to the masthead. On the other hand, if you have an available 2nd sheave at the masthead I would strongly encourage you to add an adjustable topping lift. I would never go back to a pigtail on the backstay as the primary support for my boom. This is another control line you'd want to bring to the cockpit.

+1 to Scott's suggestion about cap nuts (the term 'acorn nut' is sometimes used to describe a decorative nut with a taller, pointier crown, which you wouldn't want on the overhead). However, it may be necessary to cut the screws to fit: the inner surface of the liner may not be parallel with the outer surface of the shell (mine isn't), and cap nuts limit how much thread can be taken up inside them.

That's all I can think of right now. Good luck with your project.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 10/03/2017 :  16:01:40  Show Profile
This is a good place to remember to drill oversize, fill with epoxy, and redrill. Drill the top hole without going through the liner to verify that it is cored. If it isn't, West Systems 610 in a caulk tube is an easy way to fill the space. Pearl's cabin top is cored, but not the sides.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 10/03/2017 :  16:56:29  Show Profile
OK I think I understand drill oversized and fill then redrill this probably prevents wicking of water into wood. but what do you mean by not drilling all the way to see if its cored .

How do I tell if its cored and what do I do if its not?

This sounds important

quote:
Originally posted by Dave5041

This is a good place to remember to drill oversize, fill with epoxy, and redrill. Drill the top hole without going through the liner to verify that it is cored. If it isn't, West Systems 610 in a caulk tube is an easy way to fill the space. Pearl's cabin top is cored, but not the sides.

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 10/03/2017 :  16:58:54  Show Profile

Thanks Lee, I can see why the clutch would go before the winch

but couldnt the cam cleat go behind the winch. Whats the advantage or disadvantage to putting it after. Isnt that the way the jib sheets are?

quote:
Originally posted by Lee Panza

John:

Just to add a few points to what has already been shared...

As Jeremy and Peter said, the halyard winch is normally more convenient on the cabin top back at the cockpit, especially when conditions are such that you don't want to have to go forward. However, when the slugs stick in the track it's nice to be at the mast to jerk on the luff to free them. In retrospect I wish I had left the winch on the mast and added a second winch on the cabin top as Peter described.

Although you mentioned that you already have a cleat, you didn't say whether you'll be using a horned cleat or a mechanical cleat (cam cleat or clam cleat). A mechanical cleat is quicker to release than a horned cleat, although to drop the sail it's necessary to tension the halyard slightly to release it from either of those two types. A better choice is a clutch: lift the handle and the halyard is released (this can be important if you need to get the sail down in a hurry). Either way, a mechanical cleat or a clutch needs to be sized to the halyard: give some thought to whether you might want to change your halyard (ie. smaller-diameter low-stretch line) before buying and mounting either type.

Mechanical cleats are normally installed before the winch so tension can be taken up to release the line from the cleat. Clutches are also normally installed ahead of the winch, allowing you to temporarily secure the halyard while you throw another turn around the winch. A horned cleat, on the other hand, would be mounted after the winch, as in Scott's photo, because it would be tough to bend the line onto the cleat while it's in tension around the winch.

A clutch or a mechanical cleat needs to be mounted so that the line leads properly to the winch drum. The line should approach the winch from slightly below barrel of the drum, but too much of an angle will make it difficult to secure the line in a cam or clam cleat. On the other hand, it could be necessary to raise the winch on a pad if the clutch is too tall. Just 'eyeballing' it is generally sufficient rather than working to measurements.

A backing plate isn't necessary under the winch because the force on the screws is mainly shear rather than uplift. Also, keep in mind that there will probably be a gap between the exterior shell and the interior liner; they were molded as two separate units and then nested together at the factory, and the gap between them can be significant. You'll see this when you drill the holes. This means you cannot tighten the nuts on the underside indiscriminately without deforming one or the other. Proper bedding is important under the winch and other hardware. Countersink the holes in the exterior shell to produce beveled edges that create a gasket of bedding material around each screw where it penetrates the shell.

You mentioned that you already have a block to lead the halyard outboard from the base of the mast. Usually a conventional block is shackled to a mast base plate with holes on its side edges for this, but a standing block or a fixed lead block are good alternatives. You also mentioned you have a deck organizer. If only one or two lines are coming aft cheek blocks can be better than an organizer on the curved surface of the cabin top, but with more than a couple or three lines an organizer is probably necessary.

You also mentioned a lazy jack, John, which I take to mean a setup that can be deployed before dropping the sail but stowed out of the way otherwise. Lazy jacks (usually one on each side) can be run through small blocks on the spreaders; it isn't necessary to take them up to the masthead. On the other hand, if you have an available 2nd sheave at the masthead I would strongly encourage you to add an adjustable topping lift. I would never go back to a pigtail on the backstay as the primary support for my boom. This is another control line you'd want to bring to the cockpit.

+1 to Scott's suggestion about cap nuts (the term 'acorn nut' is sometimes used to describe a decorative nut with a taller, pointier crown, which you wouldn't want on the overhead). However, it may be necessary to cut the screws to fit: the inner surface of the liner may not be parallel with the outer surface of the shell (mine isn't), and cap nuts limit how much thread can be taken up inside them.

That's all I can think of right now. Good luck with your project.

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 10/03/2017 :  22:19:15  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Captmorgan

...couldnt the cam cleat go behind the winch. Whats the advantage or disadvantage to putting it after...

Well, aside from not having the winch available for another line, which isn't a concern in your situation, I think the main reason not to mount a mechanical cleat right after the winch is that the line coming off the drum two or three wraps up from the bottom leads it down to the cleat at too high an angle for the cleat to work. Either there would need to be some distance between the winch and the cleat or the cleat would have to be mounted on a riser block raising it above the deck. Without a riser block you could probably get the tail to grab in a cam cleat with some persuasion (probably not at all in a clam cleat) but it would be wanting to slip out of the top of the jaws.

There's another issue that comes to mind, although I'm speaking hypothetically here not having tried it. When winching a line on a non-self-tailing winch we have to keep a certain amount of tension on the tail in order to maintain sufficient friction on the drum. If the tail is then placed in a mechanical cleat it slides back a little until the cleat bites and holds. That little slack on the tail where it comes off the winch might not leave it tight enough on the drum to still provide traction when you want to release the tail from the cleat. The winch might just spin without unloading the cleat. It might be necessary to forcefully yank the tail out of the cleat without the benefit of the winch. With the cleat ahead of the winch this is never an issue.

Of course, if you planned it right, the issue I pointed out in the first paragraph might offset the one in the second paragraph: to release the line you'd just lift it between the winch and the cleat and it would come right off the cleat. But it wouldn't happen unintentionally when you bump into it. Right!

I'm skeptical about mounting any kind of cleat, even a horned cleat, behind a winch, although I know it's often done. As the tail is removed from the cleat it would start to back off around the drum, and it would tend to bind the lower wraps. Granted, in a halyard this is nowhere nearly as serious as in a loaded jib sheet, and this arrangement is often used at the primary winches.

Oh, one more thing you might want to add. To keep the halyard from getting away from you when its loose you'll probably want a fairlead of some kind on the deck just before the cleat (or the winch if you put the cleat behind it). You can buy cam cleats with fairleads built right into them (some models can be retrofitted) or you can mount a fairlead directly on the deck. The advantage of a separate fairlead is the halyard won't accidentally jam in the cleat when you're dropping the sail. A clutch serves as its own fairlead.

Anyhow, I hope this helps you figure out what you think will work best in your own situation. After all the well-intended advice we can obtain it still comes down to a leap of faith and making what we believe at the time is the right decision - and then enjoying our success or considering it a lesson learned. And there isn't much that can't be changed afterward once you get some experience with it and you realize what you shoulda' done. Good luck with your project; you'll be glad you did it.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)

Edited by - Lee Panza on 10/03/2017 22:31:46
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2017 :  05:08:42  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
I had cleats behind sheet winches. You have to raise them up on risers, or increase the distance from the winch, so the pull is more horizontal.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2017 :  17:38:48  Show Profile
if you drill through the outer skin you will see the core. It is easier to fill with epoxy after scraping out some more core if you don't have a hole in the bottom.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 10/04/2017 :  20:33:14  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dave5041

if you drill through the outer skin you will see the core. It is easier to fill with epoxy after scraping out some more core if you don't have a hole in the bottom.

My 1980 has a void between the outer shell and the inner liner. I tried the fill-&-redrill trick, but the epoxy (West 105/205) kept disappearing in the holes. I'd add more and it would also flow away. I kept adding until I noticed it coming out around the window frame. What a mess! Lesson learned: next time I'll thicken it up and stuff it into the holes instead of pouring it in fluid condition.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/05/2017 :  04:14:04  Show Profile
quote:
My 1980 has a void between the outer shell and the inner liner.

Maybe but I re-bed my cabin top winches and didn't have any voids. I also added clutches forward of the winches and that area was also solid. You can see in my photo above that the nuts and washers haven't deformed the liner. I guess every boat is a little different.

Edited by - islander on 10/05/2017 04:19:37
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 10/05/2017 :  06:54:25  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by islander

quote:
My 1980 has a void between the outer shell and the inner liner.

...I guess every boat is a little different.

That's certainly true! And there were differences in design and in manufacturing procedures between 1980 and 1987.

I'm curious, Scott: do you remember what came up the drill bit when you drilled through there? Was it solid fiberglass composite between the gelcoats, or was there some kind of foam filler, or was there plywood? This info would be helpful for others in the future.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/05/2017 :  08:32:56  Show Profile
Lee if I remember right it was the outer fiberglass and gel coat then plywood then I'm not sure if there was a coating on the interior of the wood then the liner. It's a good thickness, I would guess about 1/2" to 3/4". Remember cabin top winches were an option so I'm sure Catalina beefed up the area.

Edited by - islander on 10/05/2017 08:42:23
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page