Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Friction Strip for Companionway Hatch
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/02/2017 :  00:40:44  Show Profile
Does anyone have a good fix for this friction strip or know what I can use to replace it? It always comes unglued. It is the friction strip under the main hatch that one has to move to gain entry into the cabin. Any ideas?

Edited by - vdotmatrix on 10/02/2017 04:17:40

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2017 :  07:34:51  Show Profile
I had trouble with mine, tape wouldn't stay on for long. I cleaned off the tape residue and don't use any friction tape now, works fine without it.

1998 250WK #331
CILCIA
Steve
Pensacola, FL
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 10/02/2017 :  20:33:30  Show Profile
I used this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004V41IZC

1) Completely remove the hatch (requires removing wood and plastic stringers from the front edge).
2) Polish all white residue off bottom sides of the hatch (assuming you have the all-acrylic hatch shipped on all but the latest model years).
3) Remove any remanants of the old strips from the fiberglass. Then remove all traces of old adhesive and other stains from the fiberglass channels. Use acetone and MEK, and keep working at it until it's perfectly white like new. The solvent will also dull the finish, allowing for good adhesion of the new strips.
4) Cut the strips long enough to extend an inch or so forward of the ceiling panel, and apply them to the fiberglass channels. You need to make sure the hatch is still on top of the strip when it's pressed fully forward. If not, the hatch will hang up when closing, and ultimately will start to peel the edges back. The strips will be completely clear (invisible) once applied.

Be prepared to adjust to the hatch moving much easier. I was so accustomed to pushing to overcome friction that I was slamming the hatch forward until I got used to it.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2017 :  20:33:16  Show Profile
This is a great remedy....I am about to order the tape...is 1/2" wide tape wide enough? Here is a link to the area that was juts cleaned off and we noticed this ledge in the middle...This ledge is adjacent to the hatch and held in place with 4 screws.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/c85z08WNG9CuhxpYRWZIthrZEzHbVNskhR0eMCURs3P

another angle:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/HxKmhzblX01KaYYBUmm3afZFZ2AfH7eG2NooBI6xHG5

does anyone know the function of this ledge?

any ideas?

quote:
Originally posted by TakeFive

I used this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004V41IZC

1) Completely remove the hatch (requires removing wood and plastic stringers from the front edge).
2) Polish all white residue off bottom sides of the hatch (assuming you have the all-acrylic hatch shipped on all but the latest model years).
3) Remove any remanants of the old strips from the fiberglass. Then remove all traces of old adhesive and other stains from the fiberglass channels. Use acetone and MEK, and keep working at it until it's perfectly white like new. The solvent will also dull the finish, allowing for good adhesion of the new strips.
4) Cut the strips long enough to extend an inch or so forward of the ceiling panel, and apply them to the fiberglass channels. You need to make sure the hatch is still on top of the strip when it's pressed fully forward. If not, the hatch will hang up when closing, and ultimately will start to peel the edges back. The strips will be completely clear (invisible) once applied.

Be prepared to adjust to the hatch moving much easier. I was so accustomed to pushing to overcome friction that I was slamming the hatch forward until I got used to it.

Edited by - vdotmatrix on 10/24/2017 04:26:00
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 10/24/2017 :  07:38:57  Show Profile
From your photo, there are two plastic guides attached by screws.
The one above prevents the hatch from being lifted or kicked out of the groove.
The one below prevents the hatch from moving left/right for a better fit.

I cracked the upper guide when I stepped on it when the hatch was open.
I haven't thought of removing the lower guide, it is difficult to clean the drain channel next to the hatch.

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2017 :  13:03:48  Show Profile
I just wanted to let everyone know that the HMWPE 1/2" tape really is perfect for the application!!!..THANK YOU
Go to Top of Page

RPLieser
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
70 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2018 :  16:15:08  Show Profile
I first used the Sliding Hatch Teflon Tape from CD, P/N:Z1807. While it was good... it was 3/4" wide and much stiffer. The edges never laid flat well and it eventually failed.

I just finished applying this suggestion (UHMW tape from Amazon) and it went down very well, and at 1/2" will not have the edge issue.

My prep was somewhat different, heat gun and putty knife, followed by paint thinner, then finally Acetone to clean the surface and remove the remaining residue from both the previous tape and the thinner.

THANKS!

Patrick Lieser

C250WK #973
Knot My Fault III
Avila Beach, CA

(PO of C250WB #312)

Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2018 :  18:42:15  Show Profile
FWIW, I made the exact same improvement on my C34 as I had done on my C250. For the C24 I used 3/4" wide strips, because the slider channel was a bit wider.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page