Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Cleaning roller furler
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frejoh
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
116 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/10/2017 :  09:56:39  Show Profile
Specifically, the foil. Just tried to hoist new jib into the Schaefer roller furler, but could not get more than 1/3 of the luff tape and sail to travel up the forestay. Using a winch did not help. Absent another problem (we'll see) I figure the foil could be dirty inside the channel where the luff tape runs, and since it is a pretty close fit, the dirt could prevent smooth movement.
Does anyone have general advice on this problem, and specifically a good, easy way to clean out the foil channel? I'm imagining a hook fashioned from a coat hanger to run up and down using the halyard and a line, with a small piece of soapy cloth attached inside the channel.

Fred Johnson
250 WK #669

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2017 :  13:13:44  Show Profile
It never hurts to clean the foil, but if you couldn't raise it even by using the winch, I'd suggest you look for another cause. A friend had the identical problem that you describe with a Hunter, and the cause was a broken masthead sheave.

The way I would clean the foil on a C25 would be to use mineral spirits or denatured alcohol on a rag. Stuff the rag into the slot and change the rag often as it becomes dirty. You can either lower the mast and do it that way, or use a bosun's chair. My preference would be to lower the mast. It isn't difficult with the help of 2-3 strong friends. If you lower the mast, you can inspect and/or replace the sheaves at the same time.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 10/11/2017 :  16:25:05  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
Not sure the product is still around, it was called "Fasttrac" (no "k:). I think it is a French product.
It came with a glide and a soft cloth that you ran up and down the sail track. I still have a little and use it on the mainsail track.
I would not use a petroleum lubricant as they will gunk up.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 10/29/2017 :  08:53:33  Show Profile
sheaves should be checked every year or so -- more frequently as they age and/or in tropical locations. They are relatively cheap to replace but best when the mast is unstepped. There are specific "lubricants" designed for boat use on sail tracks and curlers that are NOT petroleum based and do not damage the sail or running rigging. But still use sparingly.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 10/29/2017 :  10:31:41  Show Profile
I use SailKote on my mainsail track. There are similar dry lubes widely available, and "dry" is the essential part. I attach a rag to the halyard and a downhaul line, soak it with SailKote, stuff part of it into the track, run up and down a few feet at a time and repeat until I reach the masthead. The liquid carrier/solvent evaporates leaving a clean, dry, slippery track. Some variation of that might work for your foil. I also agree with Steve that a close inspection of your system should be done to be sure that the components are intact and aligned.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 10/29/2017 10:32:42
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 10/30/2017 :  11:04:33  Show Profile
We've got the typical CDI furler. I clean it using an old burgee that has been cut to about half it's width and then rolled onto itself up to the webbing. The grommets in the webbing provide sturdy connection points for the halyard and messenger line. I stuff the rolled up flag fabric into the groove, saturate it with Sail-Kote and run it up a few feet, pull it back down, spray more lubricant and run it up another 5 - 10 feet, and repeat this process until the entire length has had a complete pass. We also use generous amounts of the Sail-Kote on the luff. Have been doing this for 12 years and never have any trouble.

Jerry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page