Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 25# Danforth
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mgarner
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
19 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/10/2017 :  12:01:38  Show Profile
I am not near my boat right now and was wondering if a 25# Danforth will fit in the anchor locker? If not, if you have one where to you stow it?

Marty Garner
"Midwatch" 1985 C25 4869 TR/FK

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2017 :  13:48:32  Show Profile
It will not fit. I store a larger Danforth anchor in the lazarette, which is convenient for deploying this anchor off the stern. I deploy the smaller Danforth in the anchor locker off the bow. When anchoring overnight, I always anchor fore and aft, which improves holding with symmetrical anchors like Danforths.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 10/16/2017 :  19:34:27  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage
I hang my Danforth from the pulpit with stainless steel brackets manufactured for that purpose. I also have a Bruce-style claw anchor on the bow roller which is available as a stem fitting upgrade. I use the anchor locker for storing rode only.

Notched the front edge of the locker cover for rodes, tied off bitter ends with 1/4" or 5/16" lashings a couple feet long to something substantial inside the locker.

I made an adjustable, removable, anchor locker partition to keep the two rodes separated. Also sealed off anchor locker from the rest of the boat, enlarged the drain, and sealed the back sides of the whale eye nav. lights and wiring from the anchor locker. Still need to replace the locker cover latch with stainless steel.

Drilled bow cleats for larger bolts, added fiberglass epoxy backing plates, fender washers, lock-nuts.

-- Leon Sisson

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 10/19/2017 :  17:53:55  Show Profile
I purchased a Rocna for my bow roller and kinda bummed it doesn't fit. I think my furling drum sits too low. Has any one else delt with this? Thinking of modifying the roller. I don't want to re cut the Jib (Genoa) that barely fits.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/19/2017 :  18:17:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Akenumber

I purchased a Rocna for my bow roller and kinda bummed it doesn't fit. I think my furling drum sits too low. Has any one else delt with this? Thinking of modifying the roller. I don't want to re cut the Jib (Genoa) that barely fits.
Ken: The height of my Hood furler drumwith the genoa up and tensioned was based on a shackle that held it to the stem fitting and kept the base from turning. A different shackle could have allowed it to be a little higher--a second shackle could have made it even higher. Hope something like that can work.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 10/19/2017 :  18:23:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Akenumber

If you can still return it, you might try the Rocna Vulcan anchors, introduced later to solve fitting issues with the roll bar on the original.

http://rocna.cmpgroup.net/vulcan

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

Edited by - sethp001 on 10/19/2017 18:23:41
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page