Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 How should I fix the centerboard?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dvdfishel
1st Mate

Member Avatar

35 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/16/2017 :  14:42:53  Show Profile
I pulled by boat out of the water and discovered whats causing the severe centerboard clunking. The hole in the centerboard has worn severely and is much larger than the 1 inch brass pin with fiberglass bushing.

The centerboard does have shims that are appropriate that stabilize the center board when it is up into the trunk but all of the movement and clunking is from the pivot point.

Can any one suggest how I should fix this?

I am thinking of filling in the hole completely with fiberglass and resin then drilling a new one inch hole. I am not sure this will be strong enough.

The pivot hole in the centerboard is also in the transition area between the flat area of the centerboard and the shaped foil area. Is this correct? I would think it would be more effective if it was moved forward to the flat area . This would in move the centerboard back toward the stern at least an inch maybe 2 inches which may change the way the boat sails.

Any help is appreciated.

David Fishel
#848 WB250 2005
<b></b>

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/16/2017 :  18:56:12  Show Profile
A sailboat's designer positions the mast and the keel so that the two function together in a fairly delicate balance. If you move either the keel or the mast, you'll disturb the balance between the center of effort of the sailplan and the center of lateral resistance of the keel. I don't know how much it would affect it to move the hole a couple inches, but it might be fairly significant. It would be best to not move the hole.

In most states, if you sell a house, you're required by law to disclose the existence of any hidden condition that might adversely affect the value of the thing being sold. In some states that principle may be extended to items of personal property of a certain type, like a boat. If you have altered the fundamental relationship between the CE and CLR, I think such a law would obligate you to disclose that fact to any potential buyer. Most buyers would run from such a disclosure.

Unless someone here has a better suggestion, I like your idea of filling in the hole and then re-drilling it. Although you're not sure it will be strong enough, there's one way to find out, eh!

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 10/16/2017 18:57:25
Go to Top of Page

dubedoo
1st Mate

Members Avatar

68 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2017 :  05:44:44  Show Profile
Hi David,

In our area I've heard of a few Catalina 25 swing keel owners who have taken their keels to a machine shop that drilled out the original hole in the keel and pressed in a metal bushing/sleeve with a 1 inch inside diameter. I need to get more information but they have said that the result has been successful. I'm thinking that something similar could be done with the C 250 centerboard.

Steve
C 250 WB #702
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2017 :  06:15:14  Show Profile

Your photos reveal what could cause the clunking. It appears that your suspension arrangement is in good shape. The fiberglass around the pin housing does not seem to have worn/cracked but is most likely as per factory design. If, IMHO the suspension pin housing is secure it would not require any work.

Adding new spacers and placing them in an off center position as shown in previous discussions will eliminate movement and clunking. The existing spacers will still allow movement by forces placed on either side of center board.

The center board on our '95 C250 WB is secure on the suspension pin but has some movement on the board itself. This, however is stopped by the off center located spacers which does stop clunking and movement in the trunk.

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 10/18/2017 :  07:13:34  Show Profile
David,

I had the same problem. Here's a link to an archived post.
I'm sorry, but the picture links no longer work.
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=11971

When the centerboard is in the down position, the head fits into the trunk.
If you move the pivot, it won't fit in the trunk.
While the centerboard is removed, take a look at the trunk area.

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 10/18/2017 :  07:25:25  Show Profile
I re-read my archive post from 2006. My hull is #793 and another reply was hull #841 and your hull is #848.
These hulls are pretty close together.
Since my problem was 10-years ago, you have probably had this problem for awhile.

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

dvdfishel
1st Mate

Members Avatar

35 Posts

Response Posted - 10/18/2017 :  11:30:11  Show Profile
Thanks for the replies!

The bushing idea was perfect. I just epoxied in a 1.75" bushing with the needed 1" hole. This gives a level surface for the keel hangers that is the exact width to keep the centerboard from wobbling at the pivot point. This with the spacers should fix me up.

I should be back on the water once the glue dries and the anti fouling paint is applied.

Thanks again!

David Fishel
#848 WB250 2005
<b></b>
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page