Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Water Ballast issues
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sailoreck
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
3 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/19/2017 :  14:50:43  Show Profile
Greetings,

This is my first year owning a 250WB and have launched her and taken her out of the water twice. The first time was in a freshwater lake in Central Oregon, where she spent the entire summer. The second time was last weekend launching her in saltwater in the Alameda/ San Francisco Bay, where she will spend the next 8 months. During the Summer, I never had any issues with water leaking either from the tank and or the water ballast valve. But after a day of sailing on the Bay, I found water under the inspection hatches and in the bilge. That evening, I cleaned up all the water and it was dry the next morning. After another day of sailing the water was back again and this time, I noticed that it was coming in through the top the tank where the valve was located. But it seems that it only trickles in while underway, but it does not seem to come in while docked. Has anyone experienced anything like this. Any feedback is much appreciated.

dvdfishel
1st Mate

Members Avatar

35 Posts

Response Posted - 10/19/2017 :  17:41:28  Show Profile
I had this same issue.

My water was coming in only while sailing and it was trickling in between the threaded rod and worn rubber gasket on the top of the valve assembly.

I replace the worn rubber gasket (found one at Loews) and stopped the leak.

I also fixed the top chipped surface around the threaded rod with epoxy so the new gasket would seal better. I also added a another washer above the rubber to protect it from the nut on the bottom the the valve handle.

Hope this helps. This was my least expensive fix so far.

David Fishel
#848 WB250 2005
<b></b>
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page