Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Misc To Keep Pace
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/20/2017 :  03:44:13  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
The General Forum - No one has posted since 13OCT. Felt sorry for it - Wanted to catch it up to the rest. So, how about some miscellaneous reporting of little worth, not really worthwhile for each to have an individual posting:

1) Last week, I had my boat pressure washed across the river at the Washington Sailing marina. They still have their Tuesday Racing Special - Pressure washes that day only, regardless of sailboat size, is $85 !! Compared to approximately $11/ft on other days. I screwed up last year and never got in for a pressure wash and so this year, no algae/hydrilla threads but more than a slime coat - It was like a thin carpet thickness but came off easy. Vast improvement in sailboat speed...Maybe 1 1/2 knots faster.
2) I washed my boat yesterday - It needed it and with the Polyglow refresher put on last Spring, nice shine !
3) We have been having a run of good weather this week - I went out earlier this week and taking off a few hours early from work today to go out again. I hope to go out tomorrow. Sunday, probably not, since we have the Marine Corp Marathon going on that day and getting to the boat ma be a bit difficult.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2017 :  06:21:14  Show Profile
I delivered Sarge ($+!nkp*+) to the Marina yesterday to be pumped out this morning and then into the travel-lift. Wished the bridge operators Happy Halloween, Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy New Year, and Happy Easter... Better on a nice day (68) than next week in the cold rain.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2017 :  09:53:21  Show Profile
quote:
how about some miscellaneous reporting of little worth,

Ok, So yesterday I go to the boat to do some sailing since the season is almost over. Boat gets pulled on the 30th. Climb aboard and start up the Honda then go about getting the boat ready to sail. That done I untie the lines and that's when the Honda starts running rough. What the... Tie the boat back up and remove the hood from the engine. Hmmm, Gas problem or electrical? I start with the carb. Maybe some dirt. I remove the bowl drain screw, Drain the carb and pump the fuel bulb a few times to flush it. Put the screw back in and start her up. Still running rough. OK go for the electrical. 2 cylinders to choose from. I go for the top one and pull the plug wire off. No change to the motor. Still running rough. So no fire in the top cylinder. I bring the plug wire back close to the spark plug and Tic, Tic, Tic. Ok, So there's spark through the plug wire so its not the plug wire or anything farther back so it has to be a plug. Remove said plug and it looks fine. Nice tan color, No carbon just a little wet from not firing. Into the cabin to get a new plug from the emergency kit and install it. Bingo, Purring like a kitten. I don't think I've ever had a plug fail internally. Fouled yes but internally no but I guess there's a first for everything. NGK plug if you are wondering. Anyway still had a great sail! So there's my miscellaneous reporting of little worth.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2017 :  15:28:04  Show Profile
Dave I always shot for Halloween here in Kansas. One Thanksgiving pull with ice on the shrouds taught me a lesson I respected from then on. Going on the hard is fun if you keep your boat at home. There is something to be said for sitting in your cockpit on a sunny February day with your house 20 feet away.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2017 :  18:31:05  Show Profile
Brought Limerick to her winter home, had her hauled, all just in time for some of the best weather we have had this fall season. The good news is she is secure for the winter, the bad news is I was the first to get shrink wrapped. And Frank, I so envy BOTH being able to sit in the cockpit on a nice winter day AND being only 20 ft from home!

OT -- I have noticed the forum(s) have had fewer posts farther apart . . . . a trend or just my imagination?

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2017 :  13:23:51  Show Profile
Frank, I also enjoy sitting in the cockpit in my slip on an October evening (or May, June, July August or September) about 200' from my home. But with my (current) knees, climbing in on the hard isn't worth it for sitting...

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2017 :  18:56:05  Show Profile
My date is November 4. That's contingent upon, what else?, the weather. So far in CT, we've had a warmer September and October than in past years (coincidentally, of course). Today was 78°F and tomorrow will be too. In two more weeks, it's likely to be warmer than usual. Average high temperature on that date in my area is 59°, but it's not unusual to vary by +/- 8°.
So, I can wait a weekend and move on November 11 but the tide will be against me. Then I'd have to go upriver on November 18. But the average temperature for that date in my part of CT is 52°. The average low temperature is about 35°. Also +/-8°.
"Hey kid, do you feel lucky?"

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 10/21/2017 18:58:40
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2017 :  05:50:11  Show Profile
For the first time in 40 years I hauled and covered the boat early this year. I wanted to save some nice autumn weather to drive this little gem that I found 3 weeks ago. She's a faithful reproduction, built almost 50 years ago, of a 1952 MG TD roadster, using many original parts, such as lights, door handles and latches, hinges, dashboard instruments, etc. We just got home Monday and have enjoyed beautiful, top-down weather all week.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

panhead1948
Captain

Members Avatar

345 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2017 :  07:40:27  Show Profile
I was going to wait a little longer, but when I saw the weather forecast I pulled her Friday. Now I have time to get her ready for winter. Thinking of taking a scenic train ride next Saturday
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2017 :  08:10:29  Show Profile
Wow, My dad had an MG TD back in the late 50s. I had 2 MGBs and one Austin Healey Sprite in the late 60s, Early 70s Fun on 4 wheels!

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 10/22/2017 08:14:53
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2017 :  08:45:39  Show Profile
Really cool, Steve!! But that radiator ornament--is that an eagle? Not quite what I remember on MGs...

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2017 :  09:00:18  Show Profile
Beautiful Steve, and much more practical than the original.
My younger years in San Diego:

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2017 :  09:12:38  Show Profile
Notice that the windshield sits several inches above the cowl, maybe thats why the called it a windscreen. No heater (after market add on) and not that much fun in the rain, but it didn't rain all that much in So.Cal. It was a great car if you didn't mind stopping now and then to rap the fuel pump with a tack hammer. I'll make do with my Miata now days, but a body kit for the TD look would be cool. This one was a 1951. It started a long list: Honda S-600; Triumph TR-4, 4A, 250, 6; Datsun 2000, Miata. I almost forgot the Jaguar XK-140 that preceded the MG and used about as much oil as gas.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399

Edited by - Dave5041 on 10/22/2017 09:23:51
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2017 :  09:40:41  Show Profile
The radiator ornament is an eagle. The radiator cap on Dave's MG looks like it was probably an original. I believe owners commonly installed different decorative radiator caps to personalize their cars.

Don't sell that Miata Dave. Fifty years from now it'll be a true classic!

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2017 :  12:01:03  Show Profile
My '96 is almost a classic already! To bad I'm not, just old man, old car. And yep, there were all sorts of radiator caps back in the day. It looks like the top might actually fold down on yours instead of removing the side curtains, top and frame and folding/disassembling everything and trying to fit it in the boot.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2017 :  05:03:49  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Scott - Interesting reading your successful troubleshooting of your outboard, resolved by replacing a spark plug. The only issues , I can recall with spark plugs were many years ago and involving cars. Later in life of the spark plug, I knew they needed replacement when opening the hood at night and with motor running, I could see sparks jumping between the ceramic part of the spark plug to the block. I guess the ceramic within the plug had deteriorated over time. I mostly noticed this when I had a 1978 Honda Civic.

MGs - When I was starting my first year of college in Fall of '67, I had a '61 MGA. I loved the car but it had a lot wrong with it and I had to sell it after using it only 6 mos. First, I ran out of gas on my block. Actually, this happened twice right after I had bought the car - Two issues: Tank gage was malfunctioning and basically went from indicating 3/4 full then went right to "0". The other issue, was that the "SU" carburetors (2 of them) needed to be overhauled and on top of that, the PO must have replaced the electric fuel pump with a wrong one. My mechanic overhauled the carburetors and then adjusted the floats to match the output from the incorrect fuel pump. Oh ! One cylinder was not firing because someone had previously overhauled the engine and one of the piston rings was squirting oil - Mechanic put an oil plug (spark plug that could fire in the oil rich mixture) into that cylinder. Then I went from an estimated 3 mpg to 25 mpg.
Then the parking brake froze up against the wheel - Red Hot ! Mechanic fixed the parking brake - Suspected that since PO lived near the south shore of Long Island, the salty air had something to do with the corrosion rates and the parking brake sticking. Then the batteries had to be changed out - 2 - 6 volt batteries. Then I tried to add oil to the front shocks but the oil leaked right thru the shock onto the driveway. Brought it back to the mechanic. At this point, he said that the shocks to replace them all...I might as well just give him the car because they were expensive to replace. Can't remember exactly what we did about the front shocks - They were either replaced or I seem to remember him mentioning tightening them, though, I di not recall if that can be done with shocks. The rear ones, he advised me to just live with them - They were not that bad.
So, I had bought the car for ~ $500, got taken, then multiple repairs and sold it 6 mos later for $300 to someone that was going to restore it and wanted it mostly for the body.

I guess you could say that over a 6 month period, that car cost a lot more to own that a boat !

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 10/23/2017 05:13:11
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2017 :  05:58:18  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dave5041

It looks like the top might actually fold down on yours instead of removing the side curtains, top and frame and folding/disassembling everything and trying to fit it in the boot.

It takes less than a minute to put the top down if the side curtains aren't up. Add about 20 seconds to remove each side curtain. It takes 3-4 minutes to put everything back up. It's all done with snaps and zippers.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2017 :  15:41:31  Show Profile
I sailed this past weekend in our Equalizer Regatta. Only 2 fleets this year, J22 (5 boats) and S2-7.9 (10 boats). of the S2's, 7 were from out of town, mostly KY and MI, plus 1 from Canada. I was on an S2 as headsail trimmer. Good brisk winds Saturday, then it piped up to the 20's on Sunday. First time on that boat in such high winds. Very exciting and a bit unnerving at times. The guys from up north like to come here for this race as it extends their sailing season a few more weeks.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN

Edited by - dmpilc on 10/23/2017 15:42:03
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2017 :  17:32:49  Show Profile
Saturday the temperatures here should be mid to upper 60°s and sunny with nice winds. I got no problem putting on an extra layer of underarmor (R) and catching the breeze to nowhere in particular. On Sunday a friend needs some help with his boat’s WiFi router. I’m sure several beers later we’ll have it all sorted out!
Ain’t that what boating’s all About?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2017 :  19:46:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

...On Sunday a friend needs some help with his boat’s WiFi router. I’m sure several beers later we’ll have it all sorted out...
...apparently in the rain.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/25/2017 19:47:19
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2017 :  20:05:20  Show Profile
Was howling on Wednesday -- steady 30-40knt with gusts -- and rain. I went to check out my now on the hard boat. It was shrink wrapped and in the first row next to the windward bulkhead. As I was hearing the screeching of the wind in the rigging all I could think was THIS is why I remove the mast each winter! I can't imagine the stress all the boats on the hard with masts still stepped were experiencing. I then thought about Frank Hopper's post about sitting in the cockpit of his boat: in these wind conditions I might well be clicking my heels together hoping to go home -- whether 20 ft or 20 miles!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2017 :  06:05:47  Show Profile
Peter--I assume you're at the huge Norwalk Cove Marina--I used to store Passage there... I don't know how many hundred boats were on the hard there, but it was several (including a big Chinese Junk) on what was like a half-dozen football fields. On a day like Wed., the banging halyards and whistling shrouds could be deafening! Another sound was the rattling of poly-tarps, which I figured couldn't be good for the gelcoat, teak rails, etc., so I didn't put anything on her. I just put some antifreeze in the bilge, shoveled the cockpit now and then with a plastic children's snow shovel, and let her sit--sometimes mast up, sometimes down (like for new standing rigging). Most sailboats there were mast-up, so shrink-wrapping them wasn't feasible.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2017 :  19:17:15  Show Profile
Well, my dock neighbor's boat sank in a week. It was fine two Sundays ago, but underwater the following Saturday. It was being held off the bottom by the dock lines. No insurance, but the local volunteer rescue squad helped him float it for free = nice guys. Looked like no fuel leak too. I expected a bad through-hull fitting or failed plumbing but the boat floated fine after they got the water out.

Its a little eery sitting on your boat at night with sunken boat next door. However, I spent a lot of time just looking at this boat underwater, which helped me be much less terrified of being on a sinking boat.

My six-year-old boy thought it was pretty shocking:

Since we're talking about convertibles, here's my 1991 Miata British Racing Green Special Edition from a couple of years ago when I had to put a front tag on it to satisfy the Salem courts. My wife cannot comprehend why I love it, and hates it. I put antique tags on it this year, so no more renewals or state inspections!

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

Edited by - sethp001 on 10/26/2017 19:18:10
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2017 :  22:37:26  Show Profile
Looks a little nicer than my 96

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/27/2017 :  04:39:16  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sethp001

I expected a bad through-hull fitting or failed plumbing but the boat floated fine after they got the water out.

Your neighbor needs to ask himself, "If the water isn't coming in through the thru-hulls, and if it isn't coming in through a slow, continuous leak, what could cause it to be taking on a huge amount of water (enough to sink it) intermittently?"

I had the same problem with my Cal 25 this summer. The bilge was filling with water much too quickly. Twice I was alarmed to find the water in the cabin was about 4" above the floorboards. The thru-hulls and hoses were fine. I noticed the amount of water in the bilge only increased after it rained. I asked myself how rainwater could get inside the boat. Small leaks wouldn't let that much water in. The only way that much rain water could get inside the boat was through cockpit or deck drains, so I checked and found that one of the old cockpit drain hoses was severely cracked. I dumped a bucket of water in the cockpit and it ran out the cracked hose directly into the bilge. You neighbor should check every cockpit drain connection. The cockpit seats and floor gather a huge amount of rainwater and funnel it through the drain hoses.

If the cockpit drains were blocked, it's also possible that the water came through the base of the steering pedestal or perhaps a hole drilled in the cockpit floor to run the wires for electronics through.

C25s, thankfully, eliminate drain hoses and empty rain water through the transom.

Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 10/27/2017 07:04:38
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/27/2017 :  14:53:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

...C25s, thankfully, eliminate drain hoses and empty rain water through the transom.
...starting some time in the early 1980s vintages.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page