Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 What are these clips on the side of my boat for?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Drews Cruise
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
39 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/21/2017 :  14:02:28  Show Profile
Hey all,

I'm prepping my boat for paint and was curious what these clips on the starboard side of my boat are for? They must be a custom install from a PO. My best guess is that they are for locking in a gangplank of sorts...any ideas?

Some insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Drew

Drew C. | 1979 Catalina 25 SK TR #1420
http://bit.ly/Click_Here_For_My_Catalina_25_Videos

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2017 :  15:19:58  Show Profile
Very similar to the brackets for the ladder I installed inside Sarge's cockpit.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/21/2017 15:21:54
Go to Top of Page

Drews Cruise
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
39 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2017 :  16:55:43  Show Profile
Thanks for your reply. Interesting that the PO would install a second ladder unless he thought the one one the stern was unusable due to the reports of it hurting people's feet? That or for some reason they wanted to allow people to get into the cockpit from the side. Hmmm. I may or may not get rid of it and fill the holes before painting. Is there a reason that a ladder at the side would be helpful? I'm pretty young so I don't know if it will be useful for me or my friends haha.

Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2017 :  17:59:32  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Drew:

As I approach my 70th birthday I'll offer the perspective of someone much less nimble than you probably are. A boarding ladder that can be temporarily installed - and otherwise left lying at the ready on the finger pier - could be quite nice when loading and unloading equipment and provisions before and after taking the boat out for the day. My girlfriend, in particular, could benefit greatly, and some guests I've brought aboard would be grateful. From the finger pier alongside my berth it's almost two feet up to the top of the cockpit coaming. Obviously, as the boat roles that little ladder would tilt quite a bit, and it might need rollers instead of rubber cups on the feet. Instead, I have a little two-step platform that lives permanently on the pier for this, but maybe your P.O. thought a little step-ladder like Dave's would be an easy solution.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2017 :  18:52:01  Show Profile
I vote to keep it. In addition to the reasons others have already mentioned, you might keep some water out of the cockpit if you encourage your guests towel off on the bow after swimming.

I should get one of these. Imagine five kids boarding from the swim ladder just so they can immediately jump back in the water, over and over again....

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2017 :  05:09:59  Show Profile
Seems to be some confusion about the ladder type. I Think Dave has it right as a dock boarding ladder like he shows in the picture. I don't think they are for a swim ladder. Swim ladders don't usually attach with those type of hooks. Least none that I have seen.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2017 :  08:24:41  Show Profile
More than that, it's actually listed (and I use it) as a "cockpit ladder." My brackets are on the inside of the cockpit rim (sorta like coamings), and I have a set on each side so whatever side a dock ends up on, I can put the ladder there. (You guys have the cockpit seats--I have an open "party deck" that's a big step down.) The ladder isn't suitable as a swim ladder--it's supposed to be on an angle to the cockpit sole. And for a dock, most folks prefer a stationary step attached to the dock--not something that will shift around with movements of the boat. However, there may be swim ladders that use the same brackets. (I don't know what I'd think about having nothing but screws holding a load that's pulling outward on the ladder...) Generally they attach to the deck--not the side.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/22/2017 08:31:40
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2017 :  15:31:53  Show Profile
Several years ago, side mount boarding ladders were available to purchase and add to a boat. They were especially popular with boat owners who wanted a firmly mounted but removable ladder, long for getting out of the water, or short to assist with boarding from a pier or a dinghy.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Drews Cruise
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
39 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2017 :  16:54:42  Show Profile
I appreciate the insight, boys. Found the ladder on google using your keywords and yep, that has got to be what it is. $120+ though?!

I was wondering, by the way, do the feet of the ladder sit on the dock or against the boat? I will leave them in and consider getting a ladder one day. I do have some older folks as friends that would appreciate the easier access.

Thanks again.

Love this forum!

Drew

Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2017 :  17:33:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Drews Cruise

I was wondering, by the way, do the feet of the ladder sit on the dock or against the boat?

Your question addresses my misconception earlier (wasn't paying attention in the middle of the night). The dock ladder has feet on the dock. The swim ladder has feet that curve back against the hull.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

Edited by - sethp001 on 10/23/2017 17:34:43
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2017 :  21:21:52  Show Profile
Unless those brackets are bolted through the hull and not screwed to it, the ladder I showed should sit on the dock so most of the weight is supported by the feet and pressure against the hull (and not pulling away from it). A swim-ladder design with "feet" against the hull should be thru-bolted.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 10/24/2017 :  08:40:13  Show Profile
I have the same brackets on my 1980 and was told that it was a factory option (pre-transom ladders) for a boarding/swim ladder. Defender has such ladders but the mount is slightly different. Anyway, I would prefer bolted and on the transom so I never did anything with it. I have toyed with adding the transom some boarding ladder which is available through CD

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT

Edited by - bigelowp on 10/27/2017 18:55:07
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/24/2017 :  10:56:52  Show Profile
This guessing game boils down to one question, What happened to the ladder???

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Drews Cruise
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
39 Posts

Response Posted - 10/27/2017 :  14:28:32  Show Profile
Great insight guys. I will check out CD for a new ladder.

IDK what happened to the old one, good question. The boat was given to me for free over 5 years ago so I can't complain.

Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 11/17/2017 :  18:45:51  Show Profile
Probably floated up and detached while the PO was swimming. :)

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page